Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Lost my job
Previous  1  2

amother
Magenta

Post Thu, Apr 20 2017, 7:24 pm
amother wrote:
So do you think I can get severence and unemployment at the same time?
Like if he keeps paying me now as if I am working they will see on my social that I am getting paid, and also government is not stupid why would they sort of pay me twice, like they see I am getting severence and then why will they give me unemployment?

If he keeps you on payroll for six weeks you may have to wait. They will do a phone screen type of thing (or maybe make you come in person--I collected years ago it may have changed) and you can ask them. If they make you wait, so be it, but you should still be able to collect the full amount of weeks. If he pays you in a lump sum it shouldn't be an issue.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Thu, Apr 20 2017, 7:26 pm
Magneta thank you, that is really good news,
Basically are you saying that if I wait till I finish getting my severence pay and then apply, I will get backpaid from today? Did I understand correctly?
Tia

amother
Magenta

Post Thu, Apr 20 2017, 7:36 pm
amother wrote:
Magneta thank you, that is really good news,
Basically are you saying that if I wait till I finish getting my severence pay and then apply, I will get backpaid from today? Did I understand correctly?
Tia

I don't think I said that. I think the only way you can be getting paid both at the same time is if he pays you in a lump sum. If he keeps you on payroll for another six weeks you may have to wait. You can apply now though and when you have your phone screen (if they still do that) ask. You don't want to end up in jail for a misunderstanding and collecting at the wrong time. Either way, you wont get six weeks less of unemployement because of his severence pay.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Thu, Apr 20 2017, 7:47 pm
amother wrote:
If he keeps you on payroll for six weeks you may have to wait. They will do a phone screen type of thing (or maybe make you come in person--I collected years ago it may have changed) and you can ask them. If they make you wait, so be it, but you should still be able to collect the full amount of weeks. If he pays you in a lump sum it shouldn't be an issue.

Magneta, please explain? What did u mean by this? I understood they pay retroactively, please clarify?

And what did you mean by jail?? Are you joking?

amother
Royalblue

Post Thu, Apr 20 2017, 8:28 pm
amother wrote:
I was thinking to only apply for the unemployment once I finish getting my severence pay? Any thoughts on this?

(bc I heard from the other person that got fierd that the unemployment wasn't so much money so it won't be worth it for me)

First, I am so sorry this happened to you. I have been in that situation, and I know how difficult it is.

Second, don't use the word "fired." You weren't fired. You were laid off. There's a big distinction between these, as you'll find out when you fill out unemployment forms and apply for other jobs. "Laid off" means not for cause. That is, you didn't do anything wrong. "Fired" usually means you did something wrong. There's also "being let go" which is somewhere between the two. It means your boss didn't particularly like you for whatever reason, but you didn't do anything wrong.

DON'T go to your boss and ask him which one it is. Don't ask him whether your performance was satisfactory. (In layoffs in big organizations, the first to be laid off are often those with worse performance records; nevertheless, it is termed a layoff.) Just assume the default, that you were laid off rather than let go or fired.

Third, absolutely you can get severance pay at the same time as you get unemployment benefits. This happened to me a number of years ago. I had been working at a corporation for many, many years, and to my shock, I was laid off one day, along with many others. (I had a great performance and track record.) I got a large amount of severance, which was paid to me in a lump sum. I got unemployment at the same time. I budgeted very carefully, because I knew it takes a long time to find a position in my field. I managed because I got both unemployment right away as well as my severance pay.

Fourth, unemployment maxes out at $400 a week, but it is still very welcome. It can pay for food and utilities. No amount of money is "not worth it." Who would think that?

I would also encourage you to apply for anything else that you can -- food stamps, WIC, housing assistance, food banks, tuition assistance, etc.

Hashem should help you find another job very, very soon, and you should make parnassa "berevach v'lo betzimtzum" as we say in bircas cohanim.

amother
Magenta

Post Thu, Apr 20 2017, 8:33 pm
amother wrote:
Magneta, please explain? What did u mean by this? I understood they pay retroactively, please clarify?

And what did you mean by jail?? Are you joking?

I mean that you can still get the full 26 weeks even if you start collecting in six weeks.

Another poster said she was able to collect both at the same time but then said she got one lump sum so it may be different. Be honest with them and ask what the deal is. If you collect when you legally can't I'm guessing you can be charged with faud which is not your intent and you rightfully earned the money (hopefully your boss doesn't fight it). If the law is that you can't collect while you are still on payroll then don't try to. You'll ultimately get the same amount of money anyway. And start looking for a job right away. That's better than collecting.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Thu, Apr 20 2017, 8:37 pm
Amen, thank you royal blue you are so kind

A few questions,

Do you think I should be afraid to apply for unemployment bc then maybe my boss won't give me severence, especially bc from what I understood he will give me my regular paycheck now each week, if he sees I applied for unemployment he will get upset and stop these weekly pay.. And also how can I apply for unemployment it will look like I am a working till the severence stops?

What's a food bank?

amother
Tangerine

Post Thu, Apr 20 2017, 8:59 pm
You can call nachas health net to find out.

amother
Lilac

Post Thu, Apr 20 2017, 9:10 pm
I am NOT in NY, so my experience might be different. DH was laid off and given 5 or 6 weeks (I forget which) severance pay. He applied for unemployment during that time. They verified each week with his employer that he was still receiving severance and he was thus denied unemployment. Once the severance ended, he was able to begin collecting unemployment. (And fortunately found a job just after that).

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Thu, Apr 20 2017, 9:16 pm
Thanks everyone, basically I need to ask him to give me my severence pay in one payment..

egam

Post Thu, Apr 20 2017, 9:17 pm
Based on the info below it looks like you won't be eligible for unemployment while still getting paid by your employer
https://labor.ny.gov/formsdocs.....5.pdf
https://labor.ny.gov/ui/claima......shtm

Last edited by egam on Thu, Apr 20 2017, 9:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

egam

Post Thu, Apr 20 2017, 9:25 pm
amother wrote:
Thanks everyone, basically I need to ask him to give me my severence pay in one payment..

Actually it looks that you need to ask him not only to give it to you in a lump sum, but also wait 31 days utter you were laid off

https://www.google.com/amp/www.....e.amp

doodlesmom

Post Fri, Apr 21 2017, 1:23 am
Wait until after the six weeks to claim unemployment. It'll work out best that way especially since they ask about severance etc

miami85

Post Fri, Apr 21 2017, 9:31 am
My father-in-law was fired and given a generous severance package, but was also eligible for unemployment--the 2 are not necessarily mutually exclusive. Unemployment is based on the taxes that were already deducted from your salary your employer doesn't know about it post-facto other than if you were "fired for cause."

amother
Violet

Post Fri, Apr 21 2017, 6:20 pm
It seems to me that he wants you to take the 6 weeks severance pay and not file for unemployment. Maybe?

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Fri, Apr 21 2017, 6:21 pm
Right violet..

Israeli

Post Wed, Apr 26 2017, 6:14 pm
Op if you are still checking this thread and are located in Brooklyn you can pm me I have a office job available. It sounds like you might fit
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries