Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Chareidi little girls dress code...

amother
Azure

Post Fri, Apr 21 2017, 10:52 am
Hi, can anyone clue me in on what is the accepted dress code for little girls in chareidi open-minded (is there even such a classification?) circles in Israel? Like at what age do they cover elbows and knees? TIA

sourstix

Post Fri, Apr 21 2017, 10:57 am
most chareidi frum circles are covering their knees at3 and ared dressed tanius at that age

FranticFrummie

Post Fri, Apr 21 2017, 10:58 am
Age 3. Considering how bright the sun is here, it's a good idea - if only to prevent severe sunburn.

Light colored tops and tights for summer, with dark colored dress. No bright colors. Black, navy, and gray are preferred. Shirts are usually white, light blue, or light pink. Hair in a pony tail or braids. Dark colored tights are fine for winter.

It makes getting them dressed in the morning really easy. You don't have to worry about the latest fashions, and you don't have to buy a huge wardrobe because everything is mix and match when you stay in the "approved colors".

If the girl's ears are pierced, stud earrings only. Nothing dangly, and hoops need to be really small.

Iymnok

Post Fri, Apr 21 2017, 11:00 am
No idea what you mean by open minded. This is what I see around me.

By first grade (age6) they are generally covered and with tights.
There are always some in shorter skirts and some in falling knee socks.
The dress code for the three year old gans is knee socks, skirts covering the knees and elbows covered. But if you're a little lax, they won't say much.
Rules are stretched outside of school, but I see that it directly relates to the mother's dress.

amother
Azure

Post Fri, Apr 21 2017, 11:03 am
Op here. Thanks for the quick replies! Wow, it is so different from My community in New York. We are considered open minded yeshivish, and all those things mentioned are usually implemented at around first grade, age 6...

amother
Azure

Post Fri, Apr 21 2017, 11:06 am
We will be visiting Israel this summer and don't know what to do about my 5 year old (never mind the three year old..)...

Bitachon123

Post Fri, Apr 21 2017, 11:09 am
From what I have seen, any beis yaavov gan will expect the girls to be tznius from age 3 I.e. Knees and elbows covered. The extent to which that is done really varies for every community/ family etc, and the rules stated above re hair/ dark colors/ jewelery are definitely not for every bais yaacov... hatzlocha!

Iymnok

Post Fri, Apr 21 2017, 11:11 am
Don't worry about the three year old. If your 5 yo wears sleeves over her elbows and hems past her knee she'll be fine. Don't worry about tights if you're just visiting. Falling knee socks or even Bubby socks will be fine. Any little girl earrings are great. Colors are getting more and more lively. A couple years ago, everyone was in neon. I hated it.
Depending on the neighborhood mid knee may be okay still.

amother
Mauve

Post Fri, Apr 21 2017, 11:26 am
When we asked a shaila, (both in Lakewood and Kiryat Sefer) we were told that they need to be dressed like girls (I.e. Skirts) from when they would be separated in school (around age 4) everything else (skirt length, sleeve length and socks) is from around 6 or 7. Some places/people start earlier, but we were told this is the accepted yeshivish p'sak. The Rav did say that if they are going into shul (where men are davening) then they need to be tzanua from age 3 ( long sleeves, long enough skirt, and some socks- not necessarily knee socks).

amother
Coffee

Post Sat, Apr 22 2017, 4:13 pm
amother wrote:
When we asked a shaila, (both in Lakewood and Kiryat Sefer) we were told that they need to be dressed like girls (I.e. Skirts) from when they would be separated in school (around age 4) everything else (skirt length, sleeve length and socks) is from around 6 or 7. Some places/people start earlier, but we were told this is the accepted yeshivish p'sak. The Rav did say that if they are going into shul (where men are davening) then they need to be tzanua from age 3 ( long sleeves, long enough skirt, and some socks- not necessarily knee socks).

There are many different opinions, at least for chul. Some dress fully tznius at 3 but are co-ed until primary school.

morningsickness

Post Sat, Apr 22 2017, 5:02 pm
I live in Kiryat Sefer and send my daughter to the local gan. 3 yr. olds can wear short sleeves, short skirts and short socks. By 4, the sleeves get a bit longer to 3 quarters, skirts in summer slightly longer. Any color is fine...
Some of the "Frummer" girls wear only tights and long sleeves..but not expected to by the gan.

Liba

Post Sat, Apr 22 2017, 6:56 pm
Our family minhagim are tights, sleeves past elbows and skirts past the knee from age 3.

The one thing we found different here was NO denim. I had such cute denim jumpers for my girls, but found out they were a bit no no after we made aliya.

amother
Slateblue

Post Sun, Apr 23 2017, 7:58 am
In our open minded Israeli bais Yaakov it's generally skirts from 3/4 and covering elbows and socks from about 6/7
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions