Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Can anyone help my crock pot?

nw11

Post Sun, Apr 23 2017, 12:41 pm
I have an excellent crock pot slow cooker which I use to make chulent in each week. After shabbos I rinse and put it in the dishwasher to clean it. Sometimes it needs further cleaning which I either do by hand or place it once again in the dishwasher. A few weeks ago I noticed that when I took out my crock pot on Thursday, there was white mould growing on it. If it hadn't been used in a few weeks the mould was much worse. I've tried giving a good scrub by hand even after putting it through the dishwasher twice but if it stays in the cupboard for more than a day or two, the mould starts to grow. I do not have this problem with any other pots, so clearly there is dirt deeply embedded in the walls of the pot. Does anyone have any ideas as to how I can remove it? Thanks!

ra_mom

Post Sun, Apr 23 2017, 12:47 pm
It's time to throw it out. Crockery can be porous.
No matter how much you scrub, the mold is still there. All you're doing is scrubbing it off the surface.
Sorry about your crockpot. Sad But it's dangerous to continue using it.

csfm

Post Sun, Apr 23 2017, 1:37 pm
I also make chulent for Shabbos every week in my wonderful crock pot! I used to have quite a job of scrubbing up afterwards, until I started using sturdy plastic crock pot liner bags. (From the plastic wrap, etc. section of my kosher supermarket.) Now, there's hardly any mess to wash off of the actual pot--the mess stays mostly in the bag! Such a mechayeh! Maybe doing the same with a new crock pot will keep the mold away. Good luck!

benny

Post Sun, Apr 23 2017, 2:06 pm
I found that using the bags stained the outside of my crock pot. The bag melted into the outside holder and won't come off no matter how we cleaned it. It really bothered me to have a dirty looking crock pot on my counter so finally replaced it and stopped using the bags.

simcha2

Post Sun, Apr 23 2017, 2:07 pm
You could try using jif which has bleach in it to kill the mold, but I agree with the above poster that it is probably time to get a new crock.

csfm

Post Sun, Apr 23 2017, 2:25 pm
benny wrote:
I found that using the bags stained the outside of my crock pot. The bag melted into the outside holder and won't come off no matter how we cleaned it. It really bothered me to have a dirty looking crock pot on my counter so finally replaced it and stopped using the bags.

I used to have the same problem, until I noticed that there were actually instructions on the box of plastic crock pot liner bags. (It had never occurred to me to look!) They stated that one should first pour 8 oz of water into the crock; then place the liner inside, folding the edges over the rim of the crock. Once the food has been added, cover the pot with the glass lid. Then (and here's the important part:) lift the extra plastic up and off the sides of the slow cooker! If you do that, the plastic won't melt onto the cooker and the crock pot will be much easier to clean up, afterwards. Trust me: it works! : D

MiracleMama

Post Sun, Apr 23 2017, 3:02 pm
I don't think the ceramic inserts are meant to go in the dishwasher. Get a new one and wash by hand. It isn't hard if you let it soak first. I know a lot of people like the bags but to me the idea of cooking hot food for hours and hours in plastic sounds awful.

benny

Post Sun, Apr 23 2017, 7:00 pm
csfm wrote:
I used to have the same problem, until I noticed that there were actually instructions on the box of plastic crock pot liner bags. (It had never occurred to me to look!) They stated that one should first pour 8 oz of water into the crock; then place the liner inside, folding the edges over the rim of the crock. Once the food has been added, cover the pot with the glass lid. Then (and here's the important part:) lift the extra plastic up and off the sides of the slow cooker! If you do that, the plastic won't melt onto the cooker and the crock pot will be much easier to clean up, afterwards. Trust me: it works! : D

SO now the question is do I risk it with my beautiful clean crock pot holder 🤣

youngishbear

Post Sun, Apr 23 2017, 7:14 pm
MiracleMama wrote:
I don't think the ceramic inserts are meant to go in the dishwasher. Get a new one and wash by hand. It isn't hard if you let it soak first. I know a lot of people like the bags but to me the idea of cooking hot food for hours and hours in plastic sounds awful.

I agree about the plastic.

OP have you tried the type of slow cooker that's just a pot sitting on a hot plate type base? They're made of metal and might be easier to take care of. I don't have a dishwasher so I wouldn't know about that.

I prefer this type of pot because I can saute the onion and sear the meat on the stove, and then transfer to the base for slow cooking.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Apr 23 2017, 7:17 pm
Reynolds liners do not stick, burn, melt... and don't need water added underneath. They are meant for crockpots. I don't know if they work with the metal kind.
But I still maintain that it's dangerous to continue to use OPs current crock.

csfm

Post Sun, Apr 23 2017, 7:19 pm
benny wrote:
SO now the question is do I risk it with my beautiful clean crock pot holder 🤣

As long as you ensure that the plastic is sticking up around the lid, and not folded down around the rim of the crock (until just as you're ready to serve), it should work just fine; I've had no further problems, now that I've learnt the hard way. I think it's worth a try, because the difference in clean up (especially for something like a chulent) is huge.

Post Sun, Apr 23 2017, 7:56 pm
I just make sure to wipe off all liquid on the edge that sticks out of the crockpot. No need to do anything further so long as it is perfectly dry.

amother
Babyblue

Post Sun, Apr 23 2017, 8:20 pm
Try bleaching it.
When we use the bag we put in water and tie the bag.

nw11

Post Mon, Apr 24 2017, 6:25 am
OP here, thanks everyone for all your ideas! I am a little reluctant to use bags, have done it in a pinch like before a journey, but have heard they're very unhealthy. I really like my crock pot, it comes with a metal piece to put on the stove so I can cook it on the stove first to bring it to a boil when I'm in a hurry. It wasn't cheap and cooks beautifully, but it sounds like there's not much I can do. Besides for bags, can anyone advise me how to make sure this doesn't happen again?

MiracleMama

Post Mon, Apr 24 2017, 6:28 am
nw11 wrote:
OP here, thanks everyone for all your ideas! I am a little reluctant to use bags, have done it in a pinch like before a journey, but have heard they're very unhealthy. I really like my crock pot, it comes with a metal piece to put on the stove so I can cook it on the stove first to bring it to a boil when I'm in a hurry. It wasn't cheap and cooks beautifully, but it sounds like there's not much I can do. Besides for bags, can anyone advise me how to make sure this doesn't happen again?

You should contact the company who makes it. Maybe you can just purchase the ceramic insert rather than a whole new unit. Maybe they'll even offer to give it to you free of charge if you explain what happened and how disappointed you are because you really love using it.

OOTBubby

Post Mon, Apr 24 2017, 8:35 am
csfm wrote:
As long as you ensure that the plastic is sticking up around the lid, and not folded down around the rim of the crock (until just as you're ready to serve), it should work just fine; I've had no further problems, now that I've learnt the hard way. I think it's worth a try, because the difference in clean up (especially for something like a chulent) is huge.

Exactly as I do it; never a problem with any crockpot.

amother
Black

Post Mon, Apr 24 2017, 9:32 am
ra_mom wrote:
It's time to throw it out. Crockery can be porous.
No matter how much you scrub, the mold is still there. All you're doing is scrubbing it off the surface.
Sorry about your crockpot. Sad But it's dangerous to continue using it.

This

nw11

Post Wed, Apr 26 2017, 4:14 am
OP here, thanks everyone for your replies. I have contacted the company for a replacement pot and unfortunately was told that this item has been discontinued. I will be shopping for a new one in due course. If anyone can recommend a good one, I would be happy to hear.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry