Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Please help me establish a bedtime routine for 3 y.o.

amother
Mustard

Post Sat, Apr 22 2017, 9:58 pm
He used to go to sleep at 7, when he was in a crib. Switched him to a bed 4 months ago, and it's getting harder and harder. He asks for anything he can think of to avoid staying in bed. Recently moved bedtime to 7:30 as I thought he must not be tired. Didn't help much and bedtime is a real struggle, I end up holding the door closed and feel so bad afterwards. How can I make the process smoother?

pizza4

Post Sat, Apr 22 2017, 10:10 pm
There's this method I tried for a while, I told my daughter that she can play with one quiet toy in her room until she is ready to go to sleep. When she comes out, it means she is ready for bed and I'd tuck her in. She felt so big, it was wonderful. Now though, I just try to have a calm and consistent bedtime which she is usually fine with. I say shema with each kid etc. Yomtov messed up our schedule and we aren't quite back to it yet. (She's still up now, for example...)

momofone613

Post Sat, Apr 22 2017, 11:01 pm
Bath,? Then PJ's, brush teeth, story time (pick amount of books, like 2 or 3 and let kid pick them) Shena, and hug and kiss goodnight...

amother
Amethyst

Post Mon, Apr 24 2017, 2:04 pm
We got the ok to wake clock - it lights up when it's morning and we set rules and rewards about staying in bed. Worked great for us.

Also, instead of holding the door closed, we put up a baby gate (you can use 2 one on top of the other if he can climb over). You can even take it off after he's asleep if you'd like. We left it all night, because that way she wouldn't come out early in the morningbefore the clock lit up.

I also recommend the book 'healthy sleep habits, happy child' by dr. weissbluth - he has sleep advice for every age, we found him invaluable.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics