Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus
Why did the meat from my cholent turn out disgusting?

STMommy

Post Mon, Apr 24 2017, 12:46 pm
Hi all,
So I tried putting meat into my cholent, usually I make it pareve, and for some reason the meat was disgusting - chewy, and really completely inedible. We used what I thought was a nice piece of boneless flanken, not too trimmed or lean so it would still be tasty, but it was gross!
Why did that happen???
If it helps to know, we used a crockpot on low setting and put the meat in completely raw before Shabbos.

Thanks for your help!

ra_mom

Post Mon, Apr 24 2017, 1:17 pm
Use one large piece (don't cut up) and put it on top of the cholent, without submerging it into the cholent liquids.

IMHopinion

Post Mon, Apr 24 2017, 1:21 pm
I only use bones in for that reason. The boneless turns dry.

Iymnok

Post Mon, Apr 24 2017, 1:49 pm
We use #8, don't know what that is in the US. sometimes we don't cube it first and put it in whole. Then it's really yummy. When serving the cholent, I take the meat out, slice it, then return it to the serving bowl.
It can probably be served separately too. But then it gets finished too fast.

STMommy

Post Mon, Apr 24 2017, 3:15 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Use one large piece (don't cut up) and put it on top of the cholent, without submerging it into the cholent liquids.

That's _exactly_ what I did Sad

Will try with bones next time and see if that helps.

Post Mon, Apr 24 2017, 3:44 pm
Brown the meat first with spices in another pot. When the outside is seared, then remove the meat and cook the onions and garlic in the spices. I add more spices and barely and beans. I them place the mixture in the crockpot. I add water to the pot I was cooking in and pour that into the chulent.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Apr 24 2017, 3:45 pm
I personally like the leaner cuts for low and slow cooking in the cholent. Like middle chuck.

chenvchesed

Post Mon, Apr 24 2017, 4:22 pm
I also second searing the meat first.

MiracleMama

Post Mon, Apr 24 2017, 4:54 pm
I've had that happen with with boneless meat, even meat that appeared to be fatty/ well marbled. I stick with bone-in flanken and never have a problem with it. I don't brown it first or do anything special - just layer it in with everything else.

Raisin

Post Mon, Apr 24 2017, 5:33 pm
I sear the meat first. Also I turn the crockpot on high until shabbos, then low before shabbos.

STMommy

Post Tue, Apr 25 2017, 8:19 pm
Thanks for the advice everyone!

crust

Post Tue, Apr 25 2017, 8:29 pm
The trick of a good chulent is;
make a huge chulent, Id say 2 packs of beans.
Make sure the meat is covered with beans so it's not sticking to the bottom or becoming dry on the top.
Even you put the most marbelized meat in your chulent, still add a cup of oil to a 6 quart pot. You can start your diet right afterwards but add it for the sake of the chulent.
Let that chulent have a good boil.
It should keep cooking throughout; not in warm mode.

Last edited by crust on Wed, May 03 2017, 11:58 am; edited 1 time in total

giselle

Post Tue, Apr 25 2017, 9:28 pm
It didn't cook well on low especially so few hours. Ours goes on high from Thursday night until right before shabbos, then low.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus