Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Holliswood, Queens

amother
Purple

Post Thu, Apr 13 2017, 2:28 am
Hi, We're looking to relocate from out of town, to I guess what's called a more modern or yu type of community. We were told to check out holliswoods, queens as it will likely fit our needs. I'm looking for information about 1.the type of community it is, 2.the Shuls, 3.the rabbanim, 4.the schools, and the 5.housing. I'm hoping that there are people here who will be able to answer my questions.
Tia!

amother
Yellow

Post Thu, Apr 13 2017, 11:00 am
I don't live there but I grew up nearby.

First of all, the name of the neighborhood is Holliswood. No s at the end.

It's a smallish residential neighborhood in between the larger neighborhoods of Hillcrest and Jamaica Estates. I don't really know anything about the shuls there but the school options are the same as for the other neighborhoods in Queens. There's YCQ and Har Torah which are coed or more right wing options such as BYQ and Tifferes Moshe and Yeshiva Ketana. There's another girl's school that opened up a while ago but I don't remember the name.

Queens has lots of options for kosher shopping and restaurants. Most are closer to Kew Gardens Hills, but that's just a few minutes away by car. There are a few mikvas as well.

I'm not sure how many young families are moving into Holliswood. You may want to check that out. Most YU type families are moving to either the Teaneck area or the 5 Towns these days.

amother
Purple

Post Thu, Apr 13 2017, 8:50 pm
amother wrote:
I don't live there but I grew up nearby.

First of all, the name of the neighborhood is Holliswood. No s at the end.
I'm sorry, that's how it's pronounced so I thought that's how you spell it

It's a smallish residential neighborhood in between the larger neighborhoods of Hillcrest and Jamaica Estates. I don't really know anything about the shuls there but the school options are the same as for the other neighborhoods in Queens. There's YCQ and Har Torah which are coed or more right wing options such as BYQ and Tifferes Moshe and Yeshiva Ketana. There's another girl's school that opened up a while ago but I don't remember the name.
Is it bnos malka? I've heard the name... what is that school like?

Queens has lots of options for kosher shopping and restaurants. Most are closer to Kew Gardens Hills, but that's just a few minutes away by car. There are a few mikvas as well.
What type of stores? Do they have a different brands for each product, or they're the type that has one brand per product?

I'm not sure how many young families are moving into Holliswood. You may want to check that out. Most YU type families are moving to either the Teaneck area or the 5 Towns these days.
We're not so young...(were more middle age) but would they accept new families?

amother
Purple

Post Wed, Apr 19 2017, 9:44 pm
Bump. Is there anyone from holliswood on this forum?

gumby

Post Wed, Apr 19 2017, 10:29 pm
Re supermarkets . There are big regular supermarkets with all the kosher products you need or would ever want. They are not small out of town stores. Queens is in ny and has tons of restaurants and grocery stores.

amother
Wheat

Post Wed, Apr 19 2017, 10:35 pm
I have relatives in Holliswood who daven at the Young Israel of Holliswood. Plenty of middle aged people there. Nice shul. My relative's crowd is more LWMO although there also some more RWMO people there.

amother
Purple

Post Thu, Apr 20 2017, 6:17 am
amother wrote:
I have relatives in Holliswood who daven at the Young Israel of Holliswood. Plenty of middle aged people there. Nice shul. My relative's crowd is more LWMO although there also some more RWMO people there.

Do you know what the Shul is like? What the rav is like?

amother
Purple

Post Mon, Apr 24 2017, 6:04 pm
Anyone?

amother
Sapphire

Post Mon, Apr 24 2017, 9:46 pm
Why don't you go there for a shabbos and get a feel for the community? As far as I know, it has a more out of town feel than most New York communities, but houses are expensive.

amother
Firebrick

Post Mon, Apr 24 2017, 9:52 pm
Is Rabbi Barry Kornblau the rav of the shul in that community? My husband knew him at YU. Says that he is a real mensch, very sincere, and the classic old school MO Torah uMaddah type, very intellectual and academic. Not sure how that translates to being a shul rabbi, though.

amother
Purple

Post Thu, Jan 18 2018, 7:47 pm
I'm bumping up the thread again, since for various reasons we didn't move yet, and we're still considering the community. Does anyone have more info about the community?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating