Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Niagara Falls or lake George?

Tamid Bsimcha

Post Mon, Apr 24 2017, 8:44 pm
My husband and I are planning a vacation this summer. We're deciding between Niagara and lake George? Anyone went to any or both of these places and can suggest? Tia

pesek zman

Post Mon, Apr 24 2017, 8:55 pm
Niagara Falls has more to do, and the drive there has lots of places to stop off too

samantha87

Post Mon, Apr 24 2017, 9:56 pm
Lake George is great for hiking and boating, and for kitschy fun. It's not at all upscale, which makes the accommodations affordable. IIRC, there is also a nice art museum a few miles south of town, which is good for a couple of hours on a rainy day. If you are driving from the NYC/NJ area, Lake George is also much closer than Niagara Falls.

sky

Post Mon, Apr 24 2017, 10:28 pm
If driving to Niagara falls from NY take the scenic route and make stops along the way - Watkins Glen and Letchworth State Park are both gorgeous - we liked even better then Niagara and the drive is really beautiful.

doctorima

Post Mon, Apr 24 2017, 10:34 pm
It depends what you like to do. If you've never been to Niagara Falls, I would choose that, just because it's so amazing and unique, while Lake George is just a big lake. Niagara Falls has a kosher restaurant run by an imamother, while in Lake George you'll need to bring your own food. Both will be crowded and overrun. Niagara has more activities, and more diversity of activities.

minnie mouse

Post Tue, Apr 25 2017, 11:48 am
Any of these 2 doable without a car? (From nyc)

pause

Post Tue, Apr 25 2017, 11:54 am
minnie mouse wrote:
Niagara is doable without a car.

pause

Post Tue, Apr 25 2017, 11:58 am
A lot depends on what kind of activities you enjoy, the ages of your children, and how long you are planning to stay.

Lake George has a ton of water sports which you might not be able to enjoy if you are with young children. You can fill up a good 2-3 days.

Niagara has more diverse options, but it's a longer drive from tri-state area. There's enough places to go here to fill up a good 4-5 days.

doctorima

Post Tue, Apr 25 2017, 12:21 pm
minnie mouse wrote:

Yes, you can fly to Buffalo, or take a bus. Once there, it's quite reasonable to navigate on foot. Even if you get to Lake George, you would be quite limited if you don't have a car. Technically you could stay in a hotel on or near the main strip and just walk around that area (there are tons of shops), but I found that area to be quite overrun and tried to avoid it as much as possible. I certainly wouldn't enjoy the lake if that's the only part of it I could access.

Queen18

Post Tue, Apr 25 2017, 2:10 pm
Lake George is more of a country setting while Niagra is more built up and cityish.

Niagra has nicer hotels if that's important.

They are both great trips just depends on what you are in the mood for.

treestump

Post Tue, Apr 25 2017, 2:14 pm
Niagara is a lot nicer and more memorable imo, and has a lot more attractions and options. It also has kosher food, as some have mentioned.

Lake George is a more chilled, laid back kind of vacation. If that's what you want, it's a great option, but if you want to do more fun stuff and have more experiences, you might be bored there after a few days.

Chana Miriam S

Post Thu, May 04 2017, 12:34 am
Please don't hesitate to call me if you have any questions about Niagara Falls!

www.niagarakosherpizza.com
www.jewishniagara.com

289.296.4000x33

sky

Post Thu, May 04 2017, 10:55 am
I find Niagra busy and crowded and very commercial. Its gorgeous and there are lots of (expensive) activities.
I haven't spent a lot of time at Lake George but it seems so much more peaceful - It depends what you are looking for.

amother
Cerise

Post Thu, May 04 2017, 11:19 am
We've done both. We spent very little time in Lake George itself because it was so crowded and touristy. We booked a cabin on a nearby lake which was great because DH and the kids were able to go swimming fairly privately while I was busy nursing the baby or getting dinner ready. We did a lot of driving that trip because there is tons to do in the Adirondacks but it takes a while to get anywhere. In retrospect, we would have done better to stay a bit north of Lake George.

Niagara Falls is also quite touristy, but somehow it's a different experience. We stayed on the Canadian side because that's where the kosher food was, but we spent some time on the American side as well. The tourist stuff like Maid of the Mist and going behind the falls can get pricey but some of it is worth doing if you can. You can see plenty of the beauty of the river and falls just by walking around though.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics