Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
School pictures

amother
Natural

Post Tue, Apr 25 2017, 1:28 pm
Problem: my kids came home with proofs (black and white wallet sized image) of their school picture and came out adorable. To buy or not to buy? I am so not the impulse buying type. And I will end up $50 out of pocket. Which is outrageously overpriced for 2 packages of 3 5x7 sheets and 1 wallet sheet. And I am frugal/stingy and against frivolous spending. And we are iyh making a bar mitzva this year with a photographer who will take individual and family portraits. But I am looking at these proofs and the kids look great. And the $50 bH doesn't mean we will go hungry. So what would you do?

pesek zman

Post Tue, Apr 25 2017, 1:34 pm
Can you buy a smaller package? (No one really uses the wallet size anymore)

If they look great I say get them, but 50$ seems steep.

perquacky

Post Tue, Apr 25 2017, 1:43 pm
We never purchase the pictures, no matter how great my kids look in them. I much prefer candid shots, and we've blown up some of them and had them printed on canvas. They look so beautiful.

amother
Natural

Post Tue, Apr 25 2017, 1:46 pm
pesek zman wrote:
Can you buy a smaller package? (No one really uses the wallet size anymore)

If they look great I say get them, but 50$ seems steep.

Smallest package= 1 5x7 and 1 sheet wallets for $20. Next smallest package= 3 5x7 and 1 sheet wallets for $25. 2 kids, would be mean not to give 5x7 to MIL for her wall display once I am ordering and the $5 increase well worth the additional 5x7's. Those are how the packages are set up- no option to pay per sheet and just get the sheet you want without getting a package. Of course the wallets are useless, but that's the package. The whole thing just seems like such a scam. But they are holding my pictures hostage- I have to play by these rules if I want them.

Iymnok

Post Tue, Apr 25 2017, 1:49 pm
Get you own ones taken. Portraits of each kid and a family one to boot for less then you would for unusable wallets of only two kids.
Make it a yearly thing.

pesek zman

Post Tue, Apr 25 2017, 1:51 pm
Don't buy your MIL one. You like them, buy them for yourself

amother
Brunette

Post Tue, Apr 25 2017, 1:54 pm
$20 is not a lot to spend on a picture you REALLY like of the kid. I would go with the cheaper package so you have one normal copy of the picture. Or call the company and ask whether they'll sell you the digital file for $20.

agreer

Post Tue, Apr 25 2017, 1:56 pm
I would buy it.

nursemomma

Post Tue, Apr 25 2017, 2:02 pm
I say buy it. That's what I would do, if the kids came out looking great.

flowerpower

Post Tue, Apr 25 2017, 2:06 pm
I would buy it. But why so expensive? Our school pictures are 4 individuals( 2 poses) and one class picture for $11. $20 per kid does add up when you have a few kids kah!

seeker

Post Tue, Apr 25 2017, 3:52 pm
I also feel sad that they're so overpriced. I like looking back at class pictures from when I and my siblings were younger. But the money really does make a difference. Last year my DD came out adorable but I forgot to order. This year I have two in the same school and the pictures came out fine but nothing extremely special. I don't really have other plans to take professional pictures anytime soon but for the amount the school photos cost I could probably find somewhere to pay a similar amount where I could get more choices. It's also super annoying that all the "package" deals are for the same photo in the whole package. I don't need an 8x10 AND 2 5x7 AND a sheet of wallets all of the same picture. With or without the package it seems to average about $10 a page.

That said, if I LOVED the picture I'd order it anyway and see if I could get some grandparents to chip in (seeing as how the packages include enough copies to go around anyway.) It's just that I'm more ambivalent about mine.

amother
Lavender

Post Tue, Apr 25 2017, 6:10 pm
I know this doesn't help - but both my kids schools take pictures - both individual and siblings - but don't sell them.
They use them on certificates and cards and keepsakes for the parents (key chain, or other knick nack).
It is great PR to mail grandparents (and great grandparents) a shana tova card or achievement award with their grandchildren smiling. It keeps up a connection with the school so they know it when dinner time comes. They have a great return rate on grandparents that take out expensive pages in the journal.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Apr 25 2017, 6:16 pm
Buy it for yourself (and so your kids can enjoy the memories years from now) and take the cheaper package for each kid.
It's the ...if I'm already spending money then I may as well... mentality that often does us in.
Enjoy the pictures and the nachas! Very Happy

amother
Aqua

Post Tue, Apr 25 2017, 6:21 pm
I got 4 wallets 1 5x7 and class picture for about 16.
That does sound like a lot of money but if it's a great picture buy it. Unless you will be happy with bar mitzva pictures whenever that is. Gave parents and in-laws wallet size right now of 3 kids they can put on fridge. Gave a family picture in 8x10 from a simcha. Everything costs. We all, or most of us over overspend on different things. $50 is a few hours of cleaning help or babysitting. 15$ more or less is not going to make you richer. Its a once a year thing. And just because you doing it now, maybe after your simcha you won't be interested in more pictures next year
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics