Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Car accident with Rabbi and his wife

amother
Coffee

Post Tue, Apr 25 2017, 4:10 pm
Would you accept money from your Rabbi and his wife who you are very close to, if you had a car accident with them and they ran into your car by mistake and your car got damaged? What is the appropriate thing to do in this case?

amother
Blonde

Post Tue, Apr 25 2017, 4:16 pm
No insurance?

ra_mom

Post Tue, Apr 25 2017, 4:46 pm
Why not?

sourstix

Post Tue, Apr 25 2017, 4:51 pm
Tough question

Tzutzie

Post Tue, Apr 25 2017, 4:51 pm
amother wrote:
No insurance?

Im assuming they do.
But poeple like paying out of pocket rather than reporting it so that insurance rates don't go up.

In 6 years of driving, Dh was jumped by a deer twice. Once when he was driving a zipcar - the car was completely totaled - they permanently terminated his account and he was responsible for the first $1,000 worth of damages.
The second time his car had damage and it was fixed. But his insurance rate went up like CRAZY.
Either way. Bh you are all ok. And I would take the money, why not? You need to fix your car, they damaged it. Are they of better flesh? Good Humans make mistakes amd take responsibility for it and then try to fix it to the best of their ability.

sky

Post Tue, Apr 25 2017, 4:58 pm
That is tough - but I would.

We have a neighbor that backed into our car and begged us to take the money. It made her fell horrible every time she saw the damage.
In the end the car had major engine problems and it isn't worth it to fix so we didn't take the money. Had it been someone else we probably still would have made a claim to cover the damage even if we didn't fix it but in this case it wasn't worth it. (I also know she doesn't have it - but she told me she would pay it off monthly)
In such a case I would take the money to make the repairs but not make any money off of it.

MitzadSheini

Post Tue, Apr 25 2017, 4:59 pm
You are not taking the money.
You are receiving the money, which is an act of giving to the Rabbi, because I assume it would make him feel better to know he paid for damage.

Rav Dessler explains the difference between giving, taking and receiving.

challahchallah

Post Tue, Apr 25 2017, 5:03 pm
I think it depends on if you're planning on fixing the car. If it's something you plan to (or need to) get fixed, then you should find a sensible repair person and let the rabbi pay for it. If it's small cosmetic damage that you don't intend on fixing anyway, I'd let it go.

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Apr 26 2017, 3:30 am
amother wrote:
Would you accept money from your Rabbi and his wife who you are very close to, if you had a car accident with them and they ran into your car by mistake and your car got damaged? What is the appropriate thing to do in this case?
Why ever not? They damaged your car. Yes, he may be the rav and she the rabbanit, but so what? And if they are offering money they feel bad and want to help out in the costs of repairing your car. I would think that very much so you should accept it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics