Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Pediatric Nephrologist Brooklyn/Manhattan..protein in urine

amother

Post Mon, Mar 09 2015, 1:33 pm
I am in a state of panic. On a routine well exam , DC, 10, has protein in urine. Did it again, first thing in the AM, and again there was protein. Pediatrician said I probably need a Nephrologist. What could this mean? Is it dangerous? I googled, and got more scared.

Any good MD recommendation or anyone who dealt with this? Please! I am so scared.

amother

Post Mon, Mar 09 2015, 7:49 pm
ANYONE?????

mommyla

Post Mon, Mar 09 2015, 8:48 pm
Why don't you ask your pediatrician for a referral?

amother

Post Mon, Mar 09 2015, 9:06 pm
Call Echo or Refuah Resources for names of nephrologists.
Protein is a large molecule that shouldn't be leaking into urine .please don't get too alarmed.

There was a Dr Gribbetz in NYU or Mt Sinai who was a pediatric nephrologist,though not sure he's still around.
Much Hatzlacha and please keep us posted.

naomi2

Post Mon, Mar 09 2015, 10:00 pm
we are very happy with dr. perelstein in cornell. Hope it all turns out to be nothing!

amother

Post Mon, Mar 09 2015, 10:49 pm
My dh has this since the age of about 18 along with slightly high blood pressure. They don't really know the cause but he is monitored every year and bh it hasn't got worse, and doesn't really affect his health in any way. So don't panic! Obviously it could be caused by something more serious but not necessarily. My dh has been using dr Gerald Appel for years already, and is really happy with him. He's in columbia and is a very experienced top nephrologist. I'll get you his number if you're interested.

amother

Post Tue, Mar 10 2015, 1:03 pm
amother wrote:
My dh has this since the age of about 18 along with slightly high blood pressure. They don't really know the cause but he is monitored every year and bh it hasn't got worse, and doesn't really affect his health in any way. So don't panic! Obviously it could be caused by something more serious but not necessarily. My dh has been using dr Gerald Appel for years already, and is really happy with him. He's in columbia and is a very experienced top nephrologist. I'll get you his number if you're interested.

Dr. Appel is a very, very busy man who travels frequently. Try to find someone who is more available for his patients

amother
Pewter

Post Tue, Apr 25 2017, 6:40 pm
I'm wondering how your child is. My ds also just had protein in his urine. I'm really nervous.

amother
Seagreen

Post Tue, Apr 25 2017, 7:11 pm
Op, do not panic. I had this 2 years ago with dc of mine. 3 days in a row by mds office. On a well check up. I Googled and read that it can be caused by lack of hydration. That day I had dc drink away. I begged pediatrician to let me come back one more time for urine analysis. Wouldn't you know it, by next morning, urine was fine. Try this first.

amother
Seagreen

Post Tue, Apr 25 2017, 7:13 pm
I wonder who your pediatrician is, are you in brooklyn? I'm the amother that gave you the drinking water suggestion

amother
Pewter

Post Tue, Apr 25 2017, 7:21 pm
Thanx im not in bklyn. Im in northern NJ.

amother
Pewter

Post Tue, Apr 25 2017, 7:21 pm
And, there is diabetes in the family. Yikes!

amother
Rose

Post Tue, Apr 25 2017, 7:27 pm
If it's a girl it could be she's getting her period.
Or it's possible the child masterb@ted.

amother
Pewter

Post Tue, Apr 25 2017, 7:35 pm
It's a boy.

amother
Salmon

Post Tue, Apr 25 2017, 7:41 pm
OP how is your dc?

amother
Pewter

Post Tue, Apr 25 2017, 7:47 pm
He seems fine.

amother
Lemon

Post Tue, Apr 25 2017, 9:02 pm
I work for a nephrology practice. The doctor will need to do lab work to figure out what's going on. Ask your Pcp for a referral. Most nephrologist are very good doctors, it's a field that attracts very smart people who often deal with very sick people. I understand that you are nervous, I would be too, but there isn't much to do until you see a doctor and discuss the lab results with him/her. Wishing your son the best!

Oh also, people with kidney issues rarely have any symptoms, so that is not relevant here.

amother
Coffee

Post Tue, Apr 25 2017, 9:07 pm
If you're in Northern NJ, see the pediatric nephrologists at Hackensack. They're both very smart and experienced.

happyone

Post Wed, Apr 26 2017, 7:14 pm
First of all did your pediatricIan run a urine culture? Top reason for elevated protien in urine is a UTI.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children