Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Raised By Animals- anyone read?

behappy2

Post Wed, Apr 26 2017, 7:44 pm
I just saw this book online and am wondering if anyone read it and if you liked it. Wasn't sure if I should post it here. It is not a parenting book per se but was written with parents in mind. The author goes through the science of the way different animals naturally parent their young. It looks really interesting.

MagentaYenta

Post Wed, Apr 26 2017, 7:52 pm
Is this the one about the meerkats? Please post a link, I enjoy reading about evolutionary biology and I'm pretty stuck on Sarah B. Hrdy. Mother Nature is one of my favorites of hers.

behappy2

Post Wed, Apr 26 2017, 8:04 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:
Is this the one about the meerkats? Please post a link, I enjoy reading about evolutionary biology and I'm pretty stuck on Sarah B. Hrdy. Mother Nature is one of my favorites of hers.

Google Raised By Animals /Amazon. Amazon has it for $10.44 it is about many different animals. I just read something about it online and they were writing how animal babies tantrum just like human babies! and how the mother calmly ignores it.

MagentaYenta

Post Wed, Apr 26 2017, 8:25 pm
behappy2 wrote:
Google Raised By Animals /Amazon. Amazon has it for $10.44 it is about many different animals. I just read something about it online and they were writing how animal babies tantrum just like human babies! and how the mother calmly ignores it.

Yes that's the one based on the meerkat study.

behappy2

Post Wed, Apr 26 2017, 8:51 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:
Yes that's the one based on the meerkat study.

So you seem to be familiar with it.

MagentaYenta

Post Thu, Apr 27 2017, 11:01 pm
behappy2 wrote:
So you seem to be familiar with it.

Yes I've read some of the work by these two authors. They are pretty pop and do quite a bit of tv. This book is more about animal family dynamics although some of the behaviors mimic those of humans or higher primates.

My preference is Hrdy since she is an evolutionary biologist and studies primates, primate behavior and the evolution of primate social behaviors including parenting.

The works of Bekhoff and Verdolin is far easier to read than Hrdys. I also enjoy Hrdy a bit more since her bibliographies are more robust than those of Bekoff and Verdolin.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics