Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Hungry? Thirsty? Tired or Constipated?

amother
Orange

Post Wed, Apr 26 2017, 1:52 pm
My ds is 8 months old and I just became pregnant. I have been breastfeeding and giving solids which he loves. He takes 2-3 naps during the day, but not consistent times or length. He slept at night from 8-4/5 for several nights, but now wakes up multiple times. At 12 or 1 I let him cio and he falls back asleep, but at 3 or 4 I take him out and nurse him.

He's been extra kvetchy the past week and I don't know if my milk is already slowing down so he's hungry, or the food that he is eating is upsetting his stomach or something else. He doesn't like food heavily pureed (like baby jar consistency) but more peices of real food like he sees the rest of the family eating. Could that be too hard on his system?

I really don't want to start formula - I'd rather him eat real food and also its so expensive. But should I try and see if that does it? I'd really prefer to keep nursing him as long as I can.

He's my fifth kid and I feel at a loss of what to do.

pesek zman

Post Wed, Apr 26 2017, 2:15 pm
Is he teething?

amother
Orange

Post Wed, Apr 26 2017, 2:16 pm
No

pesek zman

Post Wed, Apr 26 2017, 2:20 pm
Are you certain? Your obviously an experienced mom but at this age for me it was always teething. The not sleeping as well and the fussiness make me think teething and I'd recommend trying Motrin and see what happens.

I'm sure you'll have others telling you that your milk may taste different etc but I didn't nurse so I can't comment on that

amother
Orange

Post Wed, Apr 26 2017, 8:00 pm
Op. He's not teething cuz he's fine when I hold him, when he's playing with siblings, no fever.

It just took me an hour to put him to sleep. After several kids, he's my first that I actually read a few sleep books and nothing seems to work. He screams, I hold him, he refuses pacifier, he burps and I think that was the problem so put him back in crib and then he screams again.

I nursed him plus he had some chicken fir supper so I think he's full, but that's why I'm confused. Is he hungry or are the solids bothering him?

I'm slowly going crazy.

amother
cornflower

Post Wed, Apr 26 2017, 8:11 pm
What about an ear infection? Or fluid build up. The fact that he is fussy going down and happy upright being held. ( I also have 5, my fifth being 6 months. ) so this is what I would go check out by the ped

amother
Rose

Post Wed, Apr 26 2017, 10:00 pm
At 8 months, he definitely could eat plenty of real food but he still needs a certain amount of nursing or formula. I know it's expensive, but there are some cheaper ones. Maybe give him a bottle before bed and he will sleep better. I stopped nursing when I was 7.5 weeks pregnant and baby was 12.5/13 months old. At certain points for the last 2 months of nursing, he nursed better or worse. Before I stopped nursing, he was already drinking red milk watered down a bit with boiling water so it shouldnt be too cold. It was my easiest to wean. I know someone 17.6 weeks pregnancy and is still nursing their 16 month old morning and night, twice a day, the child refuses to take a bottle and is happy to nurse. After a year, it's not a must. Before a year, the nursing or formula is very important. Soy formula is cheapest. Target was great just make sure it doesn't get stuck in nipple after shaking. Milk cost money and baby jars cost and yogurt and chicken cost!!! That is life. You need to sleep and your sanity!!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics