Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Manhattan with a 10 yr old
Previous  1  2

amother
Lime

Post Wed, Apr 26 2017, 1:54 pm
I would still pick the American girl store over a math museum for a 10 yo girl.

seeker

Post Wed, Apr 26 2017, 6:01 pm
I guess it depends on the kid.
My DD is 6 so she is pretty enraptured with American Girl but still doubt we could have spent more than an hour in the store. It has some pretty interesting displays to look at but... it's a store. It worked for us because we did the whole neighborhood that day - spent some time watching skaters at Rockefeller, visited the Lego store (where we did make a small purchase), went to Fire Zone which was disappointing to me but my kids were young enough to spend a nice amount of time just sitting in the fire engine driver's seat playing pretend... like a nice day out but not WOW enough to spend my only day in Manhattan on that.

You do not have to like Math to enjoy the math museum, that's kind of the point, to show disengaged people the more fun sides of math while also being super interesting for the real math geeks. I went with a small group of students one year, ages 8-12ish, pretty much split in half between the geeks and the disengaged, and they all had a great time. I think there was more to appreciate for the intellectuals (even those who don't like math can still appreciate a good thought) but the interactive exhibits were fun enough for all. It's hard to describe, but when I was looking into it I found some videos online that gave a good view.

amother
Papaya

Post Wed, Apr 26 2017, 6:45 pm
ProudMommie wrote:
Its a disgusting place and even more so for a jewish child!

What's a disgusting place?

sequoia

Post Wed, Apr 26 2017, 6:49 pm
Manhattan, presumably. Including the Upper West Side, the Lower East Side, and Washington Heights. All disgusting places for Jewish children Smile

Post Wed, Apr 26 2017, 6:58 pm
What about a boat ride? My kids loved circle line. You can go on a boat to the statute of liberty. A ride to the top of the Empire State building is fun for kids.

seeker

Post Wed, Apr 26 2017, 7:00 pm
Yes, boat to statue of liberty and Ellis Island is another good idea for the type of kid who appreciates history/landmarks. Alternative to the Tenement Museum just more museum-y and will fill more day because of the boat. And the boat leaves from Battery Park which is also a nice destination. That would be a good day trip.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Apr 27 2017, 7:43 am
Why would Manhattan be worse than any other place? It's not a beach?
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics