Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Pescada vs. Urbana

amother
Olive

Post Thu, Apr 27 2017, 12:01 pm
We're planning to go out to dinner next week for my non-frum MIl's birthday. We've gone to most of the other nice milchig places in Brooklyn, and like to choose a new place each time, so it seems to be between Urbana and Pescada (Ave. P). Because MIL isn't frum, we really strive to find places she'll enjoy and that will give a positive impression of kosher dining.

Could somebody compare these 2 restaurants in terms of food quality and atmosphere (we'll have little kids with us, so need family-friendly, but don't want too loud where you can hear every table around you), and anything else that could help us choose one over the other?

amother
Violet

Post Thu, Apr 27 2017, 1:26 pm
I've never been to Urbana yet, but I have taken my non frum grandparents to pescada for dinner. They really liked the place, food and service- they were impressed. They have opinions and will voice them - so it was a positive experience. We went to the one in Flatbush if it helps... it was more of a mixed crowd which is good for them- they don't feel like they are the odd ones out...

mom24.7

Post Thu, Apr 27 2017, 2:45 pm
I recently went to both. Both places have great food though pescada has a large menu and urbana has a very small one.

trixx

Post Thu, Apr 27 2017, 2:47 pm
Totally different, I wouldnt compare them to each other.

Pescada has great dairy food although recently was less than impressed with what we ordered.
The ambiance is a little non existent (either location). Walls and furniture are bright white, with one wall painted blue, in a big room, so the whole effect feels like a cafeteria - no softly playing music, no clever lighting, no strategic seating.

Urbana is edgy, cool, hip. The decor is incredible. Super cool, music with beats, pretty dim. There are lots of options for sitting out of the way. The menu is pretty weird/interesting, I personally enjoyed but I know many who didn't. Everything is great just interesting. One thing I didn't like was the open view into the drink station which has salads displayed like in a pizza shop, I found that pretty weird but then again I seated right there (they were full) and its not like pescada has a classier bar

Overall pescada food more classic but lacking in decor

Urbana food is good but unique, amazing decor

Service about equal, nothing stands out either way. Urbana did have a long line and wasn't taking reservations (went sat night)

Check out their instagram for a look at their food
I would recommend Ave P pescada location over Ave M

This is really cool just discovered - Google pescada, click on the photos in the first result and you can see menu, atmosphere. Same with Urbana

Also agree about the menu, Urbana has a pretty small one

Last edited by trixx on Thu, Apr 27 2017, 5:05 pm; edited 1 time in total

ra_mom

Post Thu, Apr 27 2017, 3:52 pm
We really enjoyed Pesacada on Ave P.

flowerpower

Post Thu, Apr 27 2017, 5:29 pm
We love Pascada!!! Great food, service, and ambience. And they are very kid friendly too

out-of-towner

Post Thu, Apr 27 2017, 5:33 pm
I just went to Pescada on Ave M and was honestly not impressed. It was very noisy, and the food wasn't amazing (maybe its what I had, gnocchi in Alfredo sauce). Dessert was amazing though!

HonesttoGod

Post Mon, May 01 2017, 10:37 am
Urbana is more "elite", it has a smaller menu, more interesting and different choices.
Pescada is a bigger menu, more simpler to understand food choices.

Both are really good food and really nice atmosphere. Urbana is more dim lighting with candles and pescada is more bright but also candles and low music.

nursemomma

Post Mon, May 01 2017, 12:51 pm
Urbana is a more upscale restaurant. Clean, dim lighting, soft music etc. Food was delicious!
Pescada was noisy, and cleanliness was so so. Food was pretty good though.
What style does your mil prefer? If she is accustomed to more upscale dining, I would definitely recommend urbana over pescada.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries