Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Is it ok to hold off on meds for strep
1  2  3  Next

amother
Burlywood

Post Fri, Apr 28 2017, 6:39 am
My son has strep and I prefer not to give him medication as I myself am extremely prone to yeast infections due to constant medications as a child. Is rheumatic fever av real concern. Is there a natural herb/vitamin I can give that is just as effective without killing out the good bacteria.

Ruchel

Post Fri, Apr 28 2017, 7:06 am
My father had rheumatic fever. In his times people weren't spoiled enough to refuse meds when they existed and were not all stolen by the germans.

amother
Burlywood

Post Fri, Apr 28 2017, 7:11 am
Ruchel wrote:
My father had rheumatic fever. In his times people weren't spoiled enough to refuse meds when they existed and were not all stolen by the germans.

He also didn't have natural options either I assume

Ruchel

Post Fri, Apr 28 2017, 7:15 am
Yes he had! Bankes, salt water, burning salts in a sock. You don't use that for something that serious. Seriously, antibiotics won't have a long lasting effet. Rheumatic fever can have effects life long.

amother
Ginger

Post Fri, Apr 28 2017, 7:27 am
We have a couple of kids in our practice that have rheumatic fever. They've had damage to their hearts and they're on antibiotics for 10 years. I'd say 10 days of antibiotics is worth it.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Fri, Apr 28 2017, 7:27 am
Please give antibiotics. I know someone who was niftar from complications of rheumatic fever. And my mom's heart has permanent damage (not very serious bH, though) from rheumatic fever. It's a very real thing that is really not worth risking.

Refuah shelaimah to your son.

Simple1

Post Fri, Apr 28 2017, 7:33 am
He would also be contagious for a while, I think I read somewhere a few weeks if not on medicine.

And I'm not sure how this works, but wouldn't this put him at risk for PANDAS?

amother
Brown

Post Fri, Apr 28 2017, 7:50 am
As my pediatrician said, we don't give antibiotics because the body can't fight strep by itself- often it can. We give antibiotics because the complications when the body doesn't fight it off completely- which is unfortunately not that rare- are very serious. So I'm not sure what "holding off" means. Even if the symptoms he has now disappear, the strep can be very much alive and damaging his body.

Give a very good probiotic twice a day.

anotherima

Post Fri, Apr 28 2017, 8:06 am
A classmate of mine had untreated strep that went to her kidney and she had to get a transplant.

watergirl

Post Fri, Apr 28 2017, 8:57 am
Strep isnt something to play with!! If left intreated you can also develop scarlet fever - I had it as a child because I had strep but no fever and apprently I wasnt kvetching, so it went unnoticed. BH I'm fine. But dont mess with it. Give your child yogurt. Discuss your concerns with his dr. But for goodness sake - treat it with the meds!

FranticFrummie

Post Fri, Apr 28 2017, 10:21 am
OP, how long are you planning on keeping your DC home from school? Also, how long would you like your child to be ill? Do you have other kids? Do you want them to get sick too? Strep is highly contagious.

DD got strep from an untreated kid in kindergarten. I got it, and it turned into full blown Scarlet Fever. In an adult, that is super scary. I had to be quarantined at home for two weeks, and friends had to drop off groceries for me at my front door. I've never been so ill in my life, and my doctor said I was literally 24 hours away from needing to be hospitalized, if I didn't get antibiotics into both me and DD ASAP. It was really awful, beyond description.

B'H we recovered, but DD's strep moved deep into her tonsils, where antibiotics can't reach it. Then it kept flaring up again. She had strep 5 more times in one year, and missed half the school year. We got her tonsils out the summer before first grade, and neither of us have gotten strep again.

If you're worried about yeast infections, the answer is easy. Ask your doctor for a prescription for Diflucan, and keep it handy just in case. One dose usually knocks it out. A bit of itchiness down there is totally worth not ending up in the hospital on IV antibiotics, or needing to be quarantined. Not to mention what happens if the strep moves into your heart.

I generally don't treat colds and flu, except with natural things to ease symptoms, but with strep, you just don't play around! It is unbelievably resilient, and you need to pull out the big guns to get rid of it.

grateful1

Post Fri, Apr 28 2017, 10:57 am
It's extremely dangerous! I wouldn't play around with it!

cozyblanket

Post Fri, Apr 28 2017, 11:32 am
You can try holding back antibiotic for an ear infection, but not strep!! It is very dangerous.

If you are worried about yeast, use probiotics and yogurt - at a different time of day than the antibiotic. Then continue for a week or two after the course is over.

Refuah Shelayma!

Chayalle

Post Fri, Apr 28 2017, 1:26 pm
I used to take my kids to a chiropractor in Lakewood who is very crunchy, not into antibiotics...but for strep, she sent you straight to the doctor for antibiotics.

What brown amother said - give your kid a probiotic - buy him some yogurt every day, too - and give him antibiotics ASAP.

amother
Cerise

Post Fri, Apr 28 2017, 1:55 pm
Please give him meds! I got pandas from getting strep too often.

amother
Indigo

Post Fri, Apr 28 2017, 2:01 pm
A classmate of mine neglected a strep. It ruined her kidneys and she nebach died a few years later hike waiting for a transplant.

I always think about her when I am hesistant to give medication.

flowerpower

Post Fri, Apr 28 2017, 2:40 pm
I always give meds for strept. Not worth taking the risk. I don't give for other stuff so fast like ear infections...

Librarian

Post Fri, Apr 28 2017, 3:18 pm
My husband's best friend had untreated strep that went to his kidneys. He had a kidney transplant and died from an undetected infection from the donor. PLEASE TREAT!

wife2

Post Fri, Apr 28 2017, 6:22 pm
I once left strep untreated for 4 days and had severe complications where I ended up in a hospital with trouble breathing. A yeast infection is way better than the chance of severe things. Don't risk it

ra_mom

Post Fri, Apr 28 2017, 7:29 pm
There are ways to prevent yeast infections but not severe strep complications.
As per pediatric ENT, there is no such thing as overdosing on probiotics so we gave dd 7 a day when she was on a particularly harsh antibiotic.
If you have issues scheduling the probiotics with enough space between antibiotic doses, use floristor which does not interfere with the antibiotics and can be taken at the same time.
Refuah Shelaima.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics