Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Job with a BA in Monsey

amother
Crimson

Post Fri, Apr 28 2017, 6:51 am
I live in Monsey area. I am in middle of working on getting a BA through TTI. I have approximately 20 credits including some of the hard tests. I originally planned to also get a Masters degree but I won't be able to. I enjoy children and teaching and helping ppl reach their potential. Is there a job I can get that pays fairly descent per hour for a BA in something. I don't want to continue with it otherwise. I am finding it extremely stressful. It takes me three times as long as the average person to study due to my perfectionism and although I am bright I am not a good test taker. If I don't get a BA I don't think I will ever work bec I hate office work and I refuse to work really hard to teach a class and get paid pennies. That is also too stressful.

amother
Babypink

Post Fri, Apr 28 2017, 7:58 am
What will your BA be in?

amother
Babypink

Post Fri, Apr 28 2017, 7:59 am
And how much would you consider acceptable to make per hour?

amother
Crimson

Post Fri, Apr 28 2017, 8:00 am
amother wrote:
What will your BA be in?

That is part of my question. But I assume in education. I originally wanted to do social work but that is not going to happen.

amother
Crimson

Post Fri, Apr 28 2017, 8:00 am
amother wrote:
And how much would you consider acceptable to make per hour?

20-40

amother
Babypink

Post Fri, Apr 28 2017, 12:14 pm
You can make that much as a title 1 mentor/tutor. Salary varies by school.

amother
Crimson

Post Fri, Apr 28 2017, 2:50 pm
amother wrote:
You can make that much as a title 1 mentor/tutor. Salary varies by school.

Can't I do the same thing without a degree? How would a degree benefit me? Besides for which you can officially do title 1 with very few credits. A school which I will not name wanted me to work as an assistant and get paid via title 1. I only had 12 credits at the time. What do I gain by finishing my degree?

amother
Babypink

Post Fri, Apr 28 2017, 5:55 pm
Schools receive title 1 money and can decide how much they want to pay you, up to a limit for someone without a degree,higher limit for a BA and hgher limit for someone with a masters. It also depends what you do. They will pay a skilled teacher with a degree more than an assistant without one. At least hopefully! I guess it depends on the school.

amother
Aubergine

Post Fri, Apr 28 2017, 6:08 pm
amother wrote:
Schools receive title 1 money and can decide how much they want to pay you, up to a limit for someone without a degree,higher limit for a BA and hgher limit for someone with a masters. It also depends what you do. They will pay a skilled teacher with a degree more than an assistant without one. At least hopefully! I guess it depends on the school.

Maybe that's how it works in Monsey but usually Title One is contracted out to an agency . The agency hires and pays the providers. All agencies that I know of require a BA and I'm almost sure that a degree is required by law. Where I am Title One pays approximately 40-50 a period.

amother
Crimson

Post Fri, Apr 28 2017, 6:16 pm
amother wrote:

So that was legal? I was going to work as an assistant in a classroom.

So if I get a BA in education I could expect to find a tutoring job at a school? Can I count on that? Do I have a better chance if I am ready to work in the public school system? I really don't want to go though all that stress for nothing. I already have a family. I am 30 years old.

amother
Hotpink

Post Sun, Apr 30 2017, 12:28 am
If you enjoy working with special needs children, call master faster - they r an aba agency that services children in monsey. A ba is not necessary but they do pay more for schooling... and they pay within ur expected price range, closer to the higher end...good luck!

happyone

Post Sun, Apr 30 2017, 12:54 am
I second that. Aba pays more for education. Try Empower Kids inc. 8457626699. I hear they pay well.

amother
Crimson

Post Sun, Apr 30 2017, 7:21 am
amother wrote:
If you enjoy working with special needs children, call master faster - they r an aba agency that services children in monsey. A ba is not necessary but they do pay more for schooling... and they pay within ur expected price range, closer to the higher end...good luck!

Do not especially enjoy working with special needs.

Should I just try to find a tutoring job at a school and skip the degree. I also want to add that I would not work in any of the chassidish schools or Bais Rochel bec of the dress code. I feel like there are really no options of work for me in Monsey. Sad

amother
Natural

Post Sun, Apr 30 2017, 8:27 am
amother wrote:
Do not especially enjoy working with special needs.

Should I just try to find a tutoring job at a school and skip the degree. I also want to add that I would not work in any of the chassidish schools or Bais Rochel bec of the dress code. I feel like there are really no options of work for me in Monsey. Sad

Do these schools require you to keep to their dress code 100% of the time, or when you are teaching only?

Get your degree. You may change your mind later in life and want a masters. There are masters programs that are less about tests, and more about writing. Also - work on your perfectionist tendencies - it's a form of anxiety and if it holds you back, it's not helping you.

On the other hand - can you see if you can work with a professional party planner? That's a good job for someone who doesn't like office work, and has perfectionist tendencies. Learn the 'trade' and branch out on your own.

amother
Crimson

Post Sun, Apr 30 2017, 8:40 am
amother wrote:
Do these schools require you to keep to their dress code 100% of the time, or when you are teaching only?

Get your degree. You may change your mind later in life and want a masters. There are masters programs that are less about tests, and more about writing. Also - work on your perfectionist tendencies - it's a form of anxiety and if it holds you back, it's not helping you.

On the other hand - can you see if you can work with a professional party planner? That's a good job for someone who doesn't like office work, and has perfectionist tendencies. Learn the 'trade' and branch out on your own.

I am not one of those ppl that enjoys wearing a costume to work.

I am not artsy. I am warm. Caring. Emotional. I value education and I get a little high from giving someone tools to succeed in life. Way back in the day I wanted to work in the mental health field but life has worn me down. I want to go to work and feel good about what I am doing.

amother
Natural

Post Sun, Apr 30 2017, 8:49 am
You are describing a social worker job, or a teacher. Do what you can to overcome your hurdles and work towards certification in those areas.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics