Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Does davening more = results
1  2  Next

amother
Beige

Post Sun, Apr 30 2017, 5:27 am
Im curious to know what you ladies think about this. Of course davening helps our relationship with hashem and earns us olem habba. My question is does it really and meaningfully change things in this world. In other words do people who daven more lead happier and less stressful lives then the people who daven less?

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Apr 30 2017, 5:34 am
It depends on the type of results you are looking for.

Hashem is not a vending machine, or even a slot machine, where you just keep pumping in quarters hoping for a payout.

Davening changes YOU, and makes you more receptive to all the good that is in the world. When you have emuna, you are full of the awareness that Hashem runs the world. This means you have less stress, less worry, less frustration and anger. Those sound like worthwhile results to me!

Whenever I let my davening slip, or forget my emuna, is when I get depressed. The yetzer hara loves to attack our emuna, and davening is the number one way that we can beat the yetzer hara back. It's an ongoing battle, but the alternative is to let life totally get you down.

Of course, that's just my personal experience. I'm sure you can meet plenty of people who are atheist or of another religion, who can tell you that "having a positive attitude is the key to success." In my experience, if I don't include Hashem in my attitude, any success I have is hard won and short lived.

amother
Mint

Post Sun, Apr 30 2017, 5:38 am
No. My mil davens all day and she's the most stressed out person I know.

yksraya

Post Sun, Apr 30 2017, 5:55 am
Davening alone is not enough. You need to really have faith and give your worries over to hashem. And also thank hashem, not only ask favors. Etc.

amother
Indigo

Post Sun, Apr 30 2017, 5:56 am
What would her stress be without davening.

There is different levels of davening. Just saying the words or being tuned in to what we are saying etc.
Davening should help us get closer to Hashem.

I heard that a study was done with people not yidden praying for sick patients without them knowing. They saw positive results in those patients that were prayed for compared to those not.

amother
Copper

Post Sun, Apr 30 2017, 5:58 am
amother wrote:
What would her stress be without davening.

There is different levels of davening. Just saying the words or being tuned in to what we are saying etc.
Davening should help us get closer to Hashem.

I heard that a study was done with people not yidden praying for sick patients without them knowing. They saw positive results in those patients that were prayed for compared to those not.

Yes, because having people pray for you means that you belong to a community, and belonging to a community is good for your health.

amother
Beige

Post Sun, Apr 30 2017, 6:03 am
yksraya wrote:
Davening alone is not enough. You need to really have faith and give your worries over to hashem. And also thank hashem, not only ask favors. Etc.

Are you saying the people who do this are more likely to find shidduchim, have healthy children, not struggle with parnasa, ect?

amother
Sapphire

Post Sun, Apr 30 2017, 6:04 am
There are results but we don't always see it. And not always are the results seen as good.

amother
Olive

Post Sun, Apr 30 2017, 6:11 am
2 different questions, I think. Does it get "results"? Not necessarily the ones you want, no. That's not how it works and not really the purpose of davening anyway. Does it make you less stressed? It could, if you're doing it properly. At least that's been my experience. Less stressed, btw, doesn't mean you don't have stressful things going on in your life; again, you may not be getting the "results" you want, but if you're nurturing a strong connection to Hashem, you'll feel less stresses even if objectively you're going through hard times. I haven't davened at all in months. I'm too overwhelmed with life and haven't made time for it lately. It's not a very good feeling. I'd like to get back into a groove, not sure when or how I'll do it.

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Apr 30 2017, 6:22 am
Rabbi Menachem Nissel has a shiur called "Understanding Unanswered Prayers."
Yes, the major result is a relationship. It's the words becoming tangible realities. It's knowing that even when the davening seems rote, that I'm committing this time, and choosing to say these words - even if I'm mumbling them, I'm aligning myself to the meaning - you build a connection.

And for anyone reading this who needs to get in or back in the groove, don't minimize the significance of your informal tefilla. Set a timer for 2 minutes and try to say some shevach. Then another two for bakasha and another 2 for thanks. Call this your formal tefilla and then just repeat (don't bother with the timer) as often as you can.

Hang in there!

Iymnok

Post Sun, Apr 30 2017, 6:27 am
PinkFridge wrote:
Rabbi Menachem Nissel has a shiur called "Understanding Unanswered Prayers."
Yes, the major result is a relationship. It's the words becoming tangible realities. It's knowing that even when the davening seems rote, that I'm committing this time, and choosing to say these words - even if I'm mumbling them, I'm aligning myself to the meaning - you build a connection.

And for anyone reading this who needs to get in or back in the groove, don't minimize the significance of your informal tefilla. Set a timer for 2 minutes and try to say some shevach. Then another two for bakasha and another 2 for thanks. Call this your formal tefilla and then just repeat (don't bother with the timer) as often as you can.

Hang in there!

And a shmone esrei - without anything else- can take two minutes.
Add requests to G-d at anytime. Any language. A thank you here and there is good too.

yksraya

Post Sun, Apr 30 2017, 8:16 am
amother wrote:
Are you saying the people who do this are more likely to find shidduchim, have healthy children, not struggle with parnasa, ect?

I'm not saying ppl won't have nisayons and that ppl won't struggle. But yes, having strong faith and a connection will make "their own" struggles easier than it would've been for "them". Not compared to others nisayons tho.

zaq

Post Sun, Apr 30 2017, 8:39 am
I don't know whether or not prayer "works" in the sense of changing what the KBH has planned. Of course He knows if you're going to pray and has surely planned what will come next, but any discussion of that paradox is beyond the scope of this post. (Besides, it makes my head spin.)

Chazal tell us that we should nullify our will in favor of His so that He should nullify His will in favor of ours. See above.

Overall I think prayer is more about us than about Him. We don't see the whole picture, nor do we know what's best for us in the long run. But praying helps us come to terms with our situation and helps us remember Who is really in control. Research study after research study has shown that those who pray regularly experience less stress and more overall satisfaction than those who don't. They don't say that those who pray necessarily get what they pray for. As FF said, G-d is neither a vending machine nor a slot machine, but there's a certain comfort in knowing that we don't run the world and the One who does run it is a whole lot smarter than we.

Nevertheless, to quote the late great Charles Schultz in the guise of his Peanuts characters, "hoping and praying should never be confused with studying". You have to do your hishtadlus too.

tag

Post Sun, Apr 30 2017, 9:04 am
I look at it , like a mother to a child.
Which child do parents want to go out of their way for....
The one that asks nicely, is thankful and wants to please the parents.

I started with perek shira every day.

allthingsblue

Post Sun, Apr 30 2017, 9:08 am
I see two different points in your op.
1. Does davening lead to more results?
2. Does it lead to a less stressful, happier life?

The answer to 1 is "not necessarily," because as we know, sometimes Hashem says no to our requests.
The answer to 2 is definitely. If someone is davening properly- I.e. Genuinely placing his trust in Hashem- then no matter what happens in his or her life, the faith that comes from having a real relationship with Hashem will enable that person to be happier and less stressed. After all, they will have a very real feeling of giving over their problems to Hashem and allowing Hashem to run the world. They will understand that we are not in control, and come what may, Hashem loves us and is taking care of us. It doesn't mean life will be easier, with less challenges; it means they will be better equipped to face those challenges.

rose garden

Post Sun, Apr 30 2017, 9:10 am
I know this doesn't exactly answer the question, but I find it interesting that I find it harder to daven exactly when I really need to.

sneakermom

Post Sun, Apr 30 2017, 9:38 am
Davening connects us stronger to Hashem.

At the end of the day we need connection to God like we need oxygen. When we are more connected we are calmer and also God is more clear to us. Hashgacha pratique becomes more evident and our lives make sense.

This opens the channel for blessings and yeshua's.

May Hashem answer all our tefilos, l'tovah.

amother
Babyblue

Post Sun, Apr 30 2017, 9:56 am
amother wrote:
No. My mil davens all day and she's the most stressed out person I know.

Maybe that's the reason why she davens all day?
Maybe she's davening because she has a lot of problems and a lot of worries?

amother
Mint

Post Sun, Apr 30 2017, 10:08 am
amother wrote:
Maybe that's the reason why she davens all day?
Maybe she's davening because she has a ot of problems and a lot of worries?

No. She has a very calm and good life beh till 120. She worries for the neighbors son to find a shidduch , for the lady in shul who's sister in laws grandson is otd , for all the sick people in the world, that shavuos is coming. And Pesach, forget it. she makes every little thing into a headache.
Never mind her grandchildren. She davens from them all day long. She wants all of them to grow Up to be full time learners. And on and on.
Homemade stress, we call this.

greenfire

Post Sun, Apr 30 2017, 10:23 am
davening does not equal more results ... it equates to letting go & letting god - because we cannot control the world, we can try to feel that spiritual connection to Hashem and hope to have enough bitachon that we realize these trials & tribulations make us stronger, better & more in tuned to other humans [if they don't kill us first]

you know how many people would still be alive or be free of tragedy, illness, be married to the man of her dreams, have monies to buy the whole world ice cream, etc.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics