Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
2 family weddings in one month
1  2  Next

amother
Papaya

Post Sun, Apr 30 2017, 9:15 am
So I have 2 cousins getting married in the same month. One is a modernish crowd, where I can easily wear a long gown from a department store (around $150) with a shell or cardigan, and one is a more yeshivishe, in town wedding where I'm told that I should wear a short gown-y dress, with sleeves (no shell). Looking around some frum stores, this would easily cost me at least $300.

Would it make sense to get a long dress for the first wedding and wear it with a shell or cute shrug, and then get it shortened for the second event, using the extra material to make sleeves? Does anyone with actual fashio and/or sewing knowledge think that would work?

Tzutzie

Post Sun, Apr 30 2017, 9:20 am
Ime, those kind of alterations will cost you $$$.

I've never heard of the no shell rule.

From what I understand, you aren't very yeshivish, and so will anyway stand out.
As long as you are tzenius and wearing a dress thats an apropriate dress and sleeve length, shells shouldn't be an issue.

Sadie

Post Sun, Apr 30 2017, 9:24 am
Who is telling you that you have to wear a certain kind of dress? I've never been to a wedding where all the women wore the exact same style of dress.

rose garden

Post Sun, Apr 30 2017, 9:27 am
You could wear a shrug to the yeshivish wedding too. And you can wear the gown long too if you want. As long as it's tznius, who cares?

amother
Papaya

Post Sun, Apr 30 2017, 9:40 am
Thanks for the answers! To clarify, I'm yeshivishe, my husband's black hat, but I'm an out of town girl. (Don't know how I have the impression that I wasn't...maybe I should have called it a shrug/cardigan? I meant like a matching, satiny short jacket.)

I know I don't "have" to wear anything specific, but all of us (female cousins) have been going back and forth on long or short for each wedding and I don't want to the only one in long when everyone is wearing short, or vice versa.

The crowd is going to be very different and each wedding, and I'm very sensitive about not looking poorly dressed (childhood baggage).
Recommendations are welcome!

mommyofd1

Post Sun, Apr 30 2017, 9:51 am
I would wear the short to both, as a fancy modest simcha dress is classy in both circles. is that possible?

mommyofd1

Post Sun, Apr 30 2017, 9:54 am
something like this would fit in both circles http://us.asos.com/little-mist.....umn=3

amother
Cyan

Post Sun, Apr 30 2017, 9:56 am
I have two cousins that just got engaged right before pesach and they are getting married the same week three days apart!!!! Are you related to me? Lol

amother
Cyan

Post Sun, Apr 30 2017, 9:58 am
mommyofd1 wrote:
something like this would fit in both circles http://us.asos.com/little-mist.....umn=3

It's stunning but is asos legit?

mommyofd1

Post Sun, Apr 30 2017, 10:03 am
amother wrote:
It's stunning but is asos legit?

Its not always the best quality, but I have a lot of pieces from asos this past season and they are all gorgeous and held up very well.

mommyofd1

Post Sun, Apr 30 2017, 10:04 am
and they have free shipping both ways which is always a bonus

LittleMissMama

Post Sun, Apr 30 2017, 11:00 am
That asos dress needs a full shell or lining - not sure you want to go that route. That said, asos is awesome in general. Definitely legit but it's a mix of brands so quality ranges.

Have you seen any of these dresses? I'd just try to find something that will work for both events. Don't complicate it all.

https://www.apparalel.com/collections/dresses

amother
Vermilion

Post Sun, Apr 30 2017, 11:18 am
As someone who grew up in boro park I have no idea what you mean when you say you can't wear a shell to a yeshivish wedding. It's not true at all. Everyone wears shells.
I agree that a long dress would stick out if you're not immediate family, so you can just shorten your dress which would hopefully be a reasonable price and stick with a shell underneath.
FYI if you get an expensive looking tshirt as opposed to just any t shirt, that could be a very stylish look. I have beautiful ribbed tees that I wear under jumpers which IMO looks nicer and more current than a cardigan.

Shuly

Post Sun, Apr 30 2017, 1:20 pm
mommyofd1 wrote:

Hey, another poster was basically looking for this exact dress! Where is that thread?

mommyofd1

Post Sun, Apr 30 2017, 1:21 pm
LittleMissMama wrote:
That asos dress needs a full shell or lining - not sure you want to go that route. That said, asos is awesome in general. Definitely legit but it's a mix of brands so quality ranges.

Have you seen any of these dresses? I'd just try to find something that will work for both events. Don't complicate it all.

These are beautiful! thank you for introducing me to this site!

LittleMissMama

Post Sun, Apr 30 2017, 1:30 pm
You're welcome. Btw the model on that site is super tall - I tried on some of the dresses at a store in Miami and they were below my knees and I'm 5'4"

amother
Mint

Post Sun, Apr 30 2017, 2:01 pm
LittleMissMama wrote:
You're welcome. Btw the model on that site is super tall - I tried on some of the dresses at a store in Miami and they were below my knees and I'm 5'4"

Which store in Miami?
I prefer to try on at a store than buy on line

LittleMissMama

Post Sun, Apr 30 2017, 2:04 pm
https://trrunway.com

Tsniout Runway

amother
Papaya

Post Sun, Apr 30 2017, 3:14 pm
amother wrote:
As someone who grew up in boro park I have no idea what you mean when you say you can't wear a shell to a yeshivish wedding. It's not true at all. Everyone wears shells.
I agree that a long dress would stick out if you're not immediate family, so you can just shorten your dress which would hopefully be a reasonable price and stick with a shell underneath.
FYI if you get an expensive looking tshirt as opposed to just any t shirt, that could be a very stylish look. I have beautiful ribbed tees that I wear under jumpers which IMO looks nicer and more current than a cardigan.

Hi, op here. I'm so relieved to here that shells are "ok" ---but kind of confused because there were at least 3 threads on here before pesach talking about how shells are totally out and were never 'in' in the first place and look horribly dated, etc. Most of my clothes, of not all, need shells and I like the look!

Can you post a picture or link to the kind of ribbed shirt you mean? Or any alternative to a shell?

amother
Papaya

Post Sun, Apr 30 2017, 3:18 pm
LittleMissMama wrote:

Hey, these are beautiful! Thanks for the link. The prices are reasonable too...Hopefully I'll find something for each occasion.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics