Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
What are they being sued for in Learning Curve?

smile12345

Post Sun, Apr 30 2017, 9:23 am
I missed out a few weeks.
Last I read, Suri had called up Nechy's principal to say that she might be suffering from bipolar. Can someone fill me in what happened since?

amother
Sienna

Post Sun, Apr 30 2017, 9:44 am
That's what she's being sued for. I was cringing as I read her talking to the principle. How can she not know about hippa??

amother
Jetblack

Post Sun, Apr 30 2017, 9:49 am
As a therapist, I have to say that it's highly unrealistic. Someone who has been practicing for a number of years doesn't make that kind of "mistake"- at most she would have considered the fact that she was breaching confidentiality *before* she called the principal, and decided to go ahead with it anyway. But oops, I totally forgot? Yeah that's not realistic.

Stars

Post Sun, Apr 30 2017, 10:02 am
HIPAA violation. I was cringing while reading about her calling the principal.

seeker

Post Sun, Apr 30 2017, 11:05 am
amother wrote:
As a therapist, I have to say that it's highly unrealistic. Someone who has been practicing for a number of years doesn't make that kind of "mistake"- at most she would have considered the fact that she was breaching confidentiality *before* she called the principal, and decided to go ahead with it anyway. But oops, I totally forgot? Yeah that's not realistic.

This. The second she called the principal you had to know this was going to happen. "Oops?" Yeah I don't care how much Aviva was working on her middos, I would have wanted to kill her.
But what Yael (?) did after that was so slimy. I was surprised. I know she was in this crazy situation but... wow.

fiji

Post Sun, Apr 30 2017, 12:52 pm
I literally gasped out loud when she made the phonecall. I couldn't believe she did that!

GetReal

Post Sun, Apr 30 2017, 1:06 pm
Things are going a little crazy in all directions in that story. I'm waiting for them to figure out that the principal that suri called is Yael's mother.

How is the author going to make a happy ending when Yael's husband hasn't experienced one inch of personal growth?

Stars

Post Sun, Apr 30 2017, 1:14 pm
I really liked that story. Sheesh.

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Apr 30 2017, 1:35 pm
Wow, I had no idea Jews had their own soap operas. I must be more sheltered than I thought! LOL

debsey

Post Sun, Apr 30 2017, 1:41 pm
seeker wrote:
This. The second she called the principal you had to know this was going to happen. "Oops?" Yeah I don't care how much Aviva was working on her middos, I would have wanted to kill her.
But what Yael (?) did after that was so slimy. I was surprised. I know she was in this crazy situation but... wow.

It's utterly unrealistic in a zillion ways.

First of all, Yael's father in law, the mogul, wouldn't let his daughter in law sign a partnership contract that doesn't have all sorts of protective clauses in it. Executive decision making and partnership dissolution would be encoded in that contract. No lawyer would let this business incorporate so sloppily.

Secondly, the HIPPAA violation just wouldn't happen. No one could possibly get through a MA degree and be that dumb. I spend my life working as a compliance professional. No one is that stupid. Accidental HIPPAA violations happen all the time. But no one picks up a phone and makes a call like that. Let's put it this way - I wouldn't defend that clinic. Why take on a losing case? Even the exigent circumstances of being worried for the kid don't excuse that level of sloppiness. Oh, well, maybe they got their degrees in one of those frum online diploma mills........

Third (this is the only realistic thing) why is a speech therapist diagnosing bipolar disorder???? I say this is realistic because lately, in the frum world, it's in style for everyone from sheitel machers to kallah teachers to shadchanim to diagnose people. It's still unprofessional.

amother
Jetblack

Post Sun, Apr 30 2017, 1:46 pm
Debsey, I'm in total agreement. I certainly have my strong suspicions about some of my clients, but the most I can do is make parents aware of the symptoms and recommend further testing as needed. Sometimes it's a long process until parents are even ready to hear that in depth testing is necessary. I will never utter the words depression, ADHD, or autism unless that child already has a diagnosis.

The therapists in learning curve are so embarrassingly unprofessional and emotionally immature.

gold21

Post Sun, Apr 30 2017, 2:54 pm
GetReal wrote:
Things are going a little crazy in all directions in that story. I'm waiting for them to figure out that the principal that suri called is Yael's mother.

How is the author going to make a happy ending when Yael's husband hasn't experienced one inch of personal growth?

Yeah, what's up with Yael's husband?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room