Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Does davening more = results
Previous  1  2

yksraya

Post Sun, Apr 30 2017, 10:33 am
amother wrote:
No. She has a very calm and good life beh till 120. She worries for the neighbors son to find a shidduch , for the lady in shul who's sister in laws grandson is otd , for all the sick people in the world, that shavuos is coming. And Pesach, forget it. she makes every little thing into a headache.
Never mind her grandchildren. She davens from them all day long. She wants all of them to grow Up to be full time learners. And on and on.
Homemade stress, we call this.

Maybe she has a heart that bleeds for a fellow jew?

amother
Beige

Post Sun, Apr 30 2017, 11:00 am
greenfire wrote:
davening does not equal more results ... it equates to letting go & letting god - because we cannot control the world, we can try to feel that spiritual connection to Hashem and hope to have enough bitachon that we realize these trials & tribulations make us stronger, better & more in tuned to other humans [if they don't kill us first]

you know how many people would still be alive or be free of tragedy, illness, be married to the man of her dreams, have monies to buy the whole world ice cream, etc.
[u]

The bold is what always confused me. We all say hashem is not vending machine. We all say that we can't put in a quarter, push a button and out come the potato chip bag. Then the next minute we discuss various segulas with a specific result in mind. Singles say certain tehilim with a certain result in mind. When we hear of a sick person, we put them on a choleh list and daven with a specific request that they should get better. If someone is struggling with parnassah, they daven it should improve. All while at the same time we say that hashem doesn't respond to specific requests and the people who aren't davening don't get sick more often, find shidduchem any less or struggle with parnassah. Confusing!

sequoia

Post Sun, Apr 30 2017, 11:01 am
I mean, you never know...

But eventually, everyone dies. And every one had someone praying for them.

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Apr 30 2017, 11:09 am
amother wrote:
[u]

The bold is what always confused me. We all say hashem is not vending machine. We all say that we can't put in a quarter, push a button and out come the potato chip bag. Then the next minute we discuss various segulas with a specific result in mind. Singles say certain tehilim with a certain result in mind. When we hear of a sick person, we put them on a choleh list and daven with a specific request that they should get better. If someone is struggling with parnassah, they daven it should improve. All while at the same time we say that hashem doesn't respond to specific requests and the people who aren't davening don't get sick more often, find shidduchem any less or struggle with parnassah. Confusing!

I look at it like this: We're toddlers. We want a cookie. We ask as nicely as we can "May I have a cookie please?" and we always remember to say "thank you" afterwards. (Well, almost always, but we mean to!)

BUT, sometimes the answer is "No cookies right now, you'll have to wait until after dinner."
or maybe the answer is "the dentist says you have 3 cavities! How about some apple slices instead?"

These are also answers to the "may I have a cookie" question, but they are not the answers we want to hear. As toddlers, we have no idea why the grownup is changing their mind about the cookies all the time! What does finishing your broccoli have to do with getting a cookie? What the heck IS a "cavity", anyway? If you loved me, you'd give me the cookie NOW. I said "please"!

When I daven, if I have something in mind, I learned to always start out with "If it is YOUR will, Hashem, in the right time... " etc. When you frame it like that, you keep yourself aligned with what is best for you, even though you don't always understand why you get the answers you get, or why it feels like a non-answer at the time.

greenfire

Post Sun, Apr 30 2017, 11:11 am
sequoia wrote:
I mean, you never know...

But eventually, everyone dies. And every one had someone praying for them.

exactly ...

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Apr 30 2017, 11:40 am
amother wrote:
[u]

I remember once davening for someone to avoid a difficult situation. Didn't happen. Then I davened for him/her/etc. to have the koach to deal with the situation without it breaking him/her. And he/she did!

amother
Beige

Post Sun, Apr 30 2017, 12:37 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
I remember once davening for someone to avoid a difficult situation. Didn't happen. Then I davened for him/her/etc. to have the koach to deal with the situation without it breaking him/her. And he/she did!

So your saying we do daven for specific things in mind?

Iymnok

Post Sun, Apr 30 2017, 12:44 pm
I have a friend who always davens before a known situation for a specific outcome. She has been quite successful.
She davened to sell her house for enough money to get a large house in her ideal neighborhood and to get a car. She did.
She davened for great neighbors. And got them.
She davened for a gezunte boy. She has him, 7 months and her biggest baby!
I love her and wish I had the emuna that she has.

amother
Beige

Post Sun, Apr 30 2017, 1:08 pm
Iymnok wrote:
I have a friend who always davens before a known situation for a specific outcome. She has been quite successful.
She davened to sell her house for enough money to get a large house in her ideal neighborhood and to get a car. She did.
She davened for great neighbors. And got them.
She davened for a gezunte boy. She has him, 7 months and her biggest baby!
I love her and wish I had the emuna that she has.

So we can imply from what your saying that indeed davening for a specific outcome, helps a person achieve that outcome.
The obvious question is how you would respond to your older single friends who have been davening and crying their eyes out begging hashem to find them a shidduch with no results? Clearly their davening, giving tzedakah, doing 50 segulos has not helped. So do we have clear proof that davening for a certain result helps?

amother
Beige

Post Sun, Apr 30 2017, 1:17 pm
Double post

amother
Forestgreen

Post Sun, Apr 30 2017, 1:27 pm
Please speak lots of Loshon Hora. If you hear a rumor then post it immediately on FaceBook and What'sApp. Then come and post on Imamother that Hashem doesn't answer your prayers and that's why you're an atheist.

I just want to thank all those of you who are spreading malicious lies about me. My Mazal is on the up and up so it's coming out of your pockets. Keep up the good work!

amother
Cyan

Post Sun, Apr 30 2017, 1:33 pm
amother wrote:
Please speak lots of Loshon Hora. If you hear a rumor then post it immediately on FaceBook and What'sApp. Then come and post on Imamother that Hashem doesn't answer your prayers and that's why you're an atheist.

I just want to thank all those of you who are spreading malicious lies about me. My Mazal is on the up and up so it's coming out of your pockets. Keep up the good work!

Scratching Head Weird.

amother
Beige

Post Sun, Apr 30 2017, 1:54 pm
amother wrote:

Whoa! Where did that come from??? either way you seem to be saying that the reason why people's tefilos aren't answered is because they speak loshon hara. The implication is that people who don't speak loshon hara have their tefilos answered. Interesting.

groovy1224

Post Sun, Apr 30 2017, 2:01 pm
amother wrote:

Ummm what?

amother
Denim

Post Sun, Apr 30 2017, 2:45 pm
Tehilim has helped me. So I started saying more often. Instead of like a sefer every 6 months, Im trying to say lots more. Also I begged to Hashem on a given day with my own words "keminyan voeschanon" times (as many tines as the gimatria of voeschanon- I did not hear that it was a segula I just decided to plead to Hashem like Moshe Rabeinu Alav Hashalom) and got an improvement in that situation that was very serious before that.

amother
Powderblue

Post Sun, Apr 30 2017, 5:06 pm
I davened very intently for ten years for a shidduch. I used to think that sometimes Hashem just says no. But, I actually think that he uses your tefila for other things. I eventually found my beshet, I have no idea if the davenning helped. But, many things have gone right in my life. I think Hashem uses stored up tefila for things he can give you.
He can't and doesn't give you everything you you ask for because it may not be good for you or what you need, or part of your tafkid. However no tefila goes to waste.

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Apr 30 2017, 5:27 pm
amother wrote:
So your saying we do daven for specific things in mind?

Absolutely. Most of Shemone Esrei is very specific.
Sure, our davening shouldn't be, "Here's the script, Hashem, please follow it." Take shidduchim. It's widely said that we shouldn't say, please let this shidduch work out. Rather we should say, if this is the one, please let it go smoothly. Or as Dov Dov says, "It means so much/to me, you see/ Hashem, please help me win/if it's good for me."
We know who the Master Screenwriter is and He's award-winning. (Talk about understatement....)
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics