Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Schools in Monsey Area?

amother
Maroon

Post Thu, Apr 13 2017, 11:04 am
Looking for schools in the Monsey area for a bright child with ADHD? My child is well above grade level but needs help on the emotional side of things. A school that goes much slower will not work. Thanks!

Post Thu, Apr 13 2017, 11:16 am
Boy or girl?

amother
Pink

Post Thu, Apr 13 2017, 11:43 am
Not an easy answer here. Chizuk thoughts from a mom who's been there. More established schools have seen it all, better infrastructure. Best answer, in any school, advocate for your kid. We do lots of supportive tutoring at home. My experiences, Ashar has most professional staff, set building but may not be hashkafic match. RYNJ used to have T classes, heard they are being disbanded due to funding. YSV has reputation of supportive for special needs but adhd philosophy is they'll accommodate until it impacts the rest of the class, which usually is minimal before they hint at meds, and assume that's the answer... and depends mainly on luck of teacher that year, some have neen awesome, others not so much. ERCSD school district offers services if kid tests behind a certain number of grade levels, no services if your kid tests above grade level.
Ateres has great support staff, accept all types of kids, but be wary of their building situation re a kid with adhd, where seder may be important. There's a lot of transition going on now there because of building issues.

Dont know of darchei noam/ yeshiva ktana ohr reuven, chofetz chaim, bas or bais mikroh, Ateres tzvi, bais dovid, cheder d monsey, bais shifra miriam, ayelet hashachar, or any new school.

Good luck!

amother
Maroon

Post Thu, Apr 13 2017, 1:41 pm
It's for a boy. Are there any more therapuetic type schools with a good counseling program?

ocean blue

Post Mon, May 01 2017, 11:44 am
My son is high functioning asperger with ADD. He also has above average intelligence. He went to bais mikroh and it went very well for him there. First of all the learning is almost entirely oral, very little notes taking/sheets which would have make it really hard for him because he is very disorganised and has a hard time writing. The learning is on a good level. By english, it was more challenging especially in the older grades. But I still think that it would have been worse in an other yeshiva.
We had a very good rapport with the hanhala. My husband was there very often talking to rebbes and principals which I think also makes a difference because they need to see you are involved and trying your best. The principal never pushed us to get him on meds, although some rebbes did. All in all, looking back, I think he had a really good experience considering his challenges.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Mon, May 01 2017, 12:37 pm
Look into etz chaim - bnos bracha. Very accommodating
+1 (845) 425-3623
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)