Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism
Rav Moshe and Yom Haatzmaut

ruby slippers

Post Mon, May 01 2017, 8:01 pm
Don't want to start any big debates here- but I am getting nowhere googling. What was Rav Moshe's opinion on saying Hallel and music and dancing on Yom Haatzmaut during sfirah?
Also, Did Rav Moshe(I am speaking of Rav Moshe Feinstein) ever visit Israel?
Thanks!

seeker

Post Tue, May 02 2017, 1:03 am
Following, it's an interesting question and I have no idea!

heidi

Post Tue, May 02 2017, 1:25 am
I don't know about R' Moshe, but I do know that Rav Soloveitchik, who is pretty much seen as the father of the YU hashkafa held that you do not say Hallel with a bracha on Yom Haatzmaut.

seeker

Post Tue, May 02 2017, 1:38 am
But presumably he would support celebrating and I'm thinking hallel without a bracha? And I'm not sure to what extent it is celebrated/"observed." Just that YU seems to be one of the main flagships of modern Orthodoxy and I think all the MO people I know take Yom Haatzma'ut very seriously. I'm trying to get this through on some level to my kids too but in their more yeshivish school it's like a total non-thing Sad (I'd say my hashkafah straddles both worlds pretty well, but this particular school meets our needs in many ways so I just go with the flow and try to balance things out at home)

heidi

Post Tue, May 02 2017, 1:44 am
I have to say that in America I had absolutely no clue when Yom Hashoah or Yom Hazikaron were. We sent our kids to a "normal" yeshivish school-- mixed parent body. I knew it was Yom Haatzmaut bcz. the kids came home with (or told me about) the blue and white cupcake or cookie.
Here I think everyone celebrates except for the real charedim. My close relative is American charedi even in Israel and she and her friends have bbq's, go to the fireworks etc. Even in some of the more open charedi/daati leumi schools they will tell the kids about the importance of yishuv eretz yisrael on Yom Haatzmaut. And definitely most schools (except for the real charedi) stand for the sirens-- most saying tehillim during.
Definitely not something you can miss in this country.

seeker

Post Tue, May 02 2017, 1:52 am
Yeah I'm in America, of course Israeli independence day is going to be more of a thing in Israel! I am aware of it because it's on my calendar, and I first really appreciated it when I started working with MO schools.

smile12345

Post Tue, May 02 2017, 4:37 am
What do Israelis wish each other today?

rimon613

Post Tue, May 02 2017, 4:46 am
heidi wrote:
I have to say that in America I had absolutely no clue when Yom Hashoah or Yom Hazikaron were. We sent our kids to a "normal" yeshivish school-- mixed parent body. I knew it was Yom Haatzmaut bcz. the kids came home with (or told me about) the blue and white cupcake or cookie.
Here I think everyone celebrates except for the real charedim. My close relative is American charedi even in Israel and she and her friends have bbq's, go to the fireworks etc. Even in some of the more open charedi/daati leumi schools they will tell the kids about the importance of yishuv eretz yisrael on Yom Haatzmaut. And definitely most schools (except for the real charedi) stand for the sirens-- most saying tehillim during.
Definitely not something you can miss in this country.

I am very curious, what do you mean by "real Charedi"?

smile12345

Post Tue, May 02 2017, 5:18 am
smile12345 wrote:
What do Israelis wish each other today?

Can anyone answer this? I need to send an email to work colleagues and want to add something at the end.

Sadie

Post Tue, May 02 2017, 5:29 am
smile12345 wrote:
Can anyone answer this? I need to send an email to work colleagues and want to add something at the end.

Chag sameach

smile12345

Post Tue, May 02 2017, 5:59 am
Sadie wrote:
Chag sameach

Thank you.

PinkFridge

Post Tue, May 02 2017, 8:11 am
seeker wrote:
But presumably he would support celebrating and I'm thinking hallel without a bracha? And I'm not sure to what extent it is celebrated/"observed." Just that YU seems to be one of the main flagships of modern Orthodoxy and I think all the MO people I know take Yom Haatzma'ut very seriously. I'm trying to get this through on some level to my kids too but in their more yeshivish school it's like a total non-thing Sad (I'd say my hashkafah straddles both worlds pretty well, but this particular school meets our needs in many ways so I just go with the flow and try to balance things out at home)

This doesn't answer your question but I have heard Rabbi Reisman, a rosh yeshiva at Torah V'daas (how's that for yeshivish cred) talk extensively about contemporary Eretz Yisrael and all its people with what I would call real chibas Tziyon, gratitude for the relatively ready access we now have (and bafflement over anyone choosing to take an international vacation elsewhere). He has also quoted the Chasam Sofer, and unfortunately I can't remember specific quotes or contexts, but my impression is that he felt likewise in his passion for Eretz Yisrael (without the access).

etky

Post Tue, May 02 2017, 10:42 am
Sadie wrote:
Chag sameach

Or, more formally ,Chag Atzmaut Sameach.

Cmon be nice

Post Tue, May 02 2017, 11:32 am
eema1 wrote:

Also, Did Rav Moshe(I am speaking of Rav Moshe Feinstein) ever visit Israel?
Thanks!

I read in his biography that he visited once, in the 60's. Dont know his opinion on hallel, sorry.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics