Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
Fidget Spinners in Brooklyn
Previous  1  2

crush

Post Tue, May 02 2017, 7:59 am
Amazon has a lot of cheap ones in the $2 range.

sourstix

Post Tue, May 02 2017, 9:35 am
My son played it for 2 days and now it's in the drawer to add to collection of junk, to throw away before pesach

OutATowner

Post Tue, May 02 2017, 4:59 pm
It's not the spinning. It's the vibrating sensation they feel in their fingertips. Stimulates a touchscreen almost.
I'm all for fidget toys and sensory input, but this is just indicative of a societal obsession.

sky

Post Tue, May 02 2017, 5:53 pm
The trigger that everyone has it is nuts - its like someone flooded the market - all stores at once.

My kids are busy with it, passing, balancing, making up tricks. I think they have to make it exciting.

amother
Sapphire

Post Tue, May 02 2017, 6:24 pm
MitzadSheini wrote:
I think of them as like a yoyo. It's quite relaxing to spin them. But like any "craze ' it doesn't really make sense.

As my DS said - some kids are so addicted to their fidget spinner they have stopped playing with their phone.

I guess something positive has come out of these spinners!!

OutATowner

Post Tue, May 02 2017, 7:17 pm
Sapphire, it's the opposite. It shows how addicted kids are that they need that feeling all the time .
Again, I am not talking about kids who need extra sensory input. I have several students who use squishy balls, putty, chewy necklaces, and weighted cushions. But thiae didn't became a fad like these. There is a reason this is so popular so fast.
There are studies that show how touch, especially at the finger tips, sends strong stimuli to the brain (used to tap out spunds when teaching reading, etc.)
I think it's sad that kids are addiction to the touchscreen sensation.

amother
Cerise

Post Tue, May 02 2017, 7:26 pm
I don't think this is indicative of anything much. Faddish toys and tchochkes among school age kids is not a new phenomenon. This is a relatively cheap, harmless fad that started out as a therapeutic tool, and spread. My own kids, who have never used touch screens, enjoy it. Silly and pointless? Yes! Indicative of societal failures? I'm not convinced.

Eindvar7

Post Tue, May 02 2017, 9:39 pm
On kinghigh way east 8 they have in 99 cents store for 3.99

sky

Post Tue, May 02 2017, 11:39 pm
My kids have no access to touch screen, so I don't think its an addition replacer.

I'm actually loving how creative they are in finding differnt ways to entertain themselves with a spinner. I never imagined it could do so much.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics