Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
White kitchen cabinets, do or don't?
1  2  Next

amother
Green

Post Thu, May 12 2016, 2:29 pm
I need help designing my kitchen. I love the look of white kitchen cabinets, but I want to know from people who have them whether they will get stained etc easily.
If you have white cabinets, do you recommend it, or regret it?

amother
Aquamarine

Post Thu, May 12 2016, 2:31 pm
I love my white cabinets. We moved into this apartment 14 years ago and the cabinets were already white, and when we renovated 2 years ago, we did white again. It gives the kitchen a nice clean look. I have 9 kids so it does get dirty easily, but they're super easy to clean.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, May 12 2016, 2:36 pm
Do you have small children? Do you enjoy scrubbing?

If you have your choice of surfaces, I would go for a "bleached ash veneer" in pale gray. It will hide fingerprints, look very clean and modern, and there are lots of ways you can design around it because it is a neutral. It looks gorgeous mixed with stainless steel fixtures.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Thu, May 12 2016, 2:47 pm
We have white cabinets. Never occurred to me as an issue. I guess if I see dirt I clean it but it's not really an issue.

They're wood painted off-white. Not a sleek shiny material and not a snowy white, if that makes a difference.

I like white cabinets. Anyway, if they're really dirty I would rather know it than for the dirt to be camouflaged.

dancingqueen

Post Thu, May 12 2016, 2:49 pm
I have them with young children and I love it

suzyq

Post Thu, May 12 2016, 2:55 pm
We have white cabinets and young children and I don't see it as an issue. I really like them because it's a nice, bright feel for a kitchen and it makes the room look bigger.

amother
Brunette

Post Thu, May 12 2016, 3:31 pm
White cabinets
Little kids
Would do it again in an eye blink.

But you have to be a clean person, and it does need constant wiping, nothing too hard.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Thu, May 12 2016, 4:03 pm
No! No! No! ! !
Would never do it again. If your kids are well disciplined, your house is always spotless, and you have cleaning help, okay.
Otherwise, you will be kicking yourself in the leg forever.

amother
Green

Post Thu, May 12 2016, 4:10 pm
amother wrote:
No! No! No! ! !
Would never do it again. If your kids are well disciplined, your house is always spotless, and you have cleaning help, okay.
Otherwise, you will be kicking yourself in the leg forever.

I have to use a specific vendor, and that vendor only has white and a variety of browns. I dislike brown, so it seems I have to choose between a color I dislike and a color that will be high maintenance.

cm

Post Thu, May 12 2016, 5:26 pm
Smooth surfaces are pretty easy to keep clean.

I have found the textured surfaces of white appliances hard to keep new-looking after about 10 years or so.

amother
Green

Post Thu, May 12 2016, 5:34 pm
cm wrote:
Smooth surfaces are pretty easy to keep clean.

I have found the textured surfaces of white appliances hard to keep new-looking after about 10 years or so.

It would just be white cabinets. I think I would do black counters (but I'm open to suggestions! Has anyone seen blue granite countertops?). So no textured surfaces.

tryinghard

Post Thu, May 12 2016, 8:14 pm
amother wrote:
I have to use a specific vendor, and that vendor only has white and a variety of browns. I dislike brown, so it seems I have to choose between a color I dislike and a color that will be high maintenance.

As lng as you are the type to actually DO the maintenance. I am not, I was getting white cabinets until the night before we placed the order when I completely freaked out, realizing they would always look dirty. I wasn't a huge fan of wood tones, but I found a nice warm maple and I loooove it now.

As far as counters go - there are so many options out there! Go look and see what you find, but try to stick with something a little neutral - one day if you try to sell your house someone may love it but HATE the color blue Smile Or YOU could start hating it next year. Neutrals have less of a risk in this sense. And neutral doesn't have to be blah: this is my counter http://www.cambriausa.com/Desi.....vern/

sourstix

Post Thu, May 12 2016, 8:32 pm
please dont get white whatever it is but not white. I am begging you. its for your sanity. all you need is for a red chrain to spill from a kid and your busy cleaning all the time. the kitchen is the place that needs the most maintenence. why would you do that to yourself. ok nuf said.

dont listen to me. think yourself how many things kids spill and think of all the cleaning you will have to do. oh my.

mommyla

Post Thu, May 12 2016, 8:46 pm
I have flat white doors on my upper cabinets and I love them. It's a smooth, easy-clean finish and I don't have to clean them very often at all. Because they're glossy I can see fingerprints from some angles, but that's about it - they're not high-maintenance at all.

Remember that any light finish will show dirt, and darker finishes show fingerprints. There's no right answer. All cabinets need maintenance, and think about it this way - if you can't see the dirt on a darker finish, it's still there! At least with white you see it and clean it.

BTW, blue granite is typically very expensive. Gorgeous, but pricey.

Rubber Ducky

Post Thu, May 12 2016, 9:42 pm
I have white cabinets because I love them. Yes, they show dirt more than the deep blue cabinets in my island. But I don't find them to be that high-maintenance, I would buy them again (actually, I would paint them again — we built our own cabinets) and they make me happy.

In my design work I recommend that if you love white cabinets, get them unless you're a clean freak and would do better to not see the dirt. As Mommyla said, it's still there even if you don't see it! And white cabinets will add brightness and light to your kitchen. I used an off-white satin waterborne enamel to paint my cabinets. The satin finish does not show fingerprints.

oliviablond

Post Wed, May 03 2017, 7:20 am
White cabins look so amazing! I'd rather combine two colours as white always looks great with black. The contrast will look striking, I think.

amother
White

Post Wed, May 03 2017, 9:14 am
Yes definitely do! I am dreaming of a very sleek white and dark charcoal gray kitchen. If you like it go for it.

amother
Brunette

Post Wed, May 03 2017, 9:21 am
I LOVE my white kitchen. I'd do it again in an eye blink.
Cleanest, crisp look! And pretty!

But I always tell people- you got to know yourself.
My kids don't climb on counters. Nor do they smear cookies onto my cabinets.
If yours do, it will be hard to keep up.

I wipe them down fully once a week.

amother
Brunette

Post Wed, May 03 2017, 9:23 am
sourstix wrote:
please dont get white whatever it is but not white. I am begging you. its for your sanity. all you need is for a red chrain to spill from a kid and your busy cleaning all the time. the kitchen is the place that needs the most maintenence. why would you do that to yourself. ok nuf said.

dont listen to me. think yourself how many things kids spill and think of all the cleaning you will have to do. oh my.

I disagree.
If chrein spills over my white cabinet, its easier to wash down than a brown or grey one.
You see right away if it got clean enough or not.

amother
Green

Post Wed, May 03 2017, 9:57 am
amother wrote:
Yes definitely do! I am dreaming of a very sleek white and dark charcoal gray kitchen. If you like it go for it.

This thread is a year old. I am op (I think lol) and I ended up going with white. So far I am happy.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics