Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
It's so frustrating when other people get upset at us
Previous  1  2

LittleDucky

Post Wed, May 03 2017, 11:09 am
Do you have any local laws you can look up? Google city+ rental laws or "rental deposit+ city". That has helped me out when I have had issues/disputes in the past...

amother
Goldenrod

Post Wed, May 03 2017, 11:22 am
In my experience, landlords have the unit cleaned and painted before renting it again, so why should anyone have to scrub the walls or the bathroom?

We have moved out of rental three times. I have no recollection of the first two, but I doubt we scrubbed anything. There was no mess and it was vacuumed and nothing looked bad, but I didn't lysol it!

The third time I felt it needed some attention that I couldn't give (goodness, people, tenants are MOVING! how do they have any time?? sometimes to a location far away - and they have to get in their car and follow the moving truck ASAP bc they don't want them getting there and being locked out!), so I hired a cleaning lady and her assistant to come clean while the moving crew was finishing up. They were all in each other's way and it wasn't very practical, so I don't see how this can really be expected. Again, many people don't move a block away where they can easily come back and clean the next day. And cleaning while men are loading a truck and you are running around getting last minute things and keeping your children safe is a crazy expectation. Landlords should expect to get a cleaning lady to come between tenants.

amother
Olive

Post Wed, May 03 2017, 12:17 pm
What if you got the apartment in filthy condition? Would I still be expected to clean it, even "broom clean"?

amother
Aquamarine

Post Wed, May 03 2017, 12:19 pm
The monetary responsibility falls on the landlord to get the place ready for the next tenant. And even if that wasn't so universally accepted, the previous tenant is supposed to pay for a cleaning crew AND pay an extra ten days for the landlord?
We're involved in a lot of NYC real estate and have rented ourselves and I don't really hear of the tenants being responsible for what the landlord is asking for. Sounds like they're trying to get everything out of you. There's no need to be upset. They may not know the standard or they may just be doing their 'financial hishtadlus,' and you have to do yours too. You don't just pay because they said to. Stay kind and civil so it doesn't feel bitter but if I were you I would not do what they're asking for.

amother
Cobalt

Post Wed, May 03 2017, 1:02 pm
das wrote:
When you leave an apartment, every part of it should be washed down. The bathroom should be disinfected. Everything should be spotless. That is basic etiquette. Vaccuming the place and not leaving stuff on the floor doesn't cut it. If it wasn't left clean, obviously the landlord wanted you to pay to have it cleaned.

I'm very surprised leaving it clean was not in your lease. It's standard.

We rented an apt and it was NOT clean. When we bought our home it was "broom clean" - meaning emptied, nothing on the floor but not "spotless "

Chayalle

Post Wed, May 03 2017, 2:45 pm
I live in Lakewood. When I first got married, I moved into an apartment that was absolutely FILTHY. The landlord had painted but there was no clean-up from the paint, so the carpets were a wreck. The bathroom - let's just say that my mother scrubbed it down. The kitchen cabinets needed to be wiped down inside and out, they were so dusty. The stove had the previous tenants years worth of meals piled on.

When I moved out two years later, I had cleaned the stove, wiped down the kitchen, etc...vacuumed. I left it decently clean, the way it was while I lived there...but I did not pay for a cleaning crew to wipe down the walls or disinfect.

I do think that anything that costs $$$ should be in a lease. If it's not written there, then the tenant is not obligated to pay.

amother
Apricot

Post Wed, May 03 2017, 3:41 pm
OP, I totaly understand you. Its very frustrated to be taken advantage of. There are some people who have no shame or sense of fairness and we feel the shame instead of them when we are asked to comply with thier demands.

I recently had a story were my sink pipe was leaking because the rust had eaten it up. I moved in 6 months ago and this is an old apartment. The landlord sent a message that she is not responsible for anything in the apartment. In the end we got the broker involved and she agreed that its the landlords responsibility to fix it. I was frustrated it realy affected me for a few days.

You have to know the rules and dont let yourself be pushed around. Everyone is looking out for thier best interest and you have that right as well. As long as your menchlech and dont knowingly decieve anyone please dont blame yourself.

amother
Oak

Post Wed, May 03 2017, 3:47 pm
I've rented several apartments in New York City, and if the apartment is not cleaned to the landlords specification they will not give the security deposit back, so them asking you to pay for cleaning help makes sense to me.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Wed, May 03 2017, 3:50 pm
amother wrote:
I've rented several apartments in New York City, and if the apartment is not cleaned to the landlords specification they will not give the security deposit back, so them asking you to pay for cleaning help makes sense to me.

Only if it is in writing in the lease which all parties signed. You can't make things up on the spot.

amother
Ginger

Post Wed, May 03 2017, 7:19 pm
amother wrote:
Re utilities, I actually meant, buy their own washer, dryer, fridge, etc.

Those are called appliances, not utilities.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette