Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Nursing job dilemma

amother
Taupe

Post Wed, May 03 2017, 8:46 pm
Posting anonymously because I've discussed my dilemma with a bunch of people...
Basically I work now as a homecare nurse but have 1, possibly another, job on the table right now. The job I have now is pretty stressful and I take work home with me, which is something I want to avoid at all costs but I don't have a choice with the job I am in. It pays pretty well and I have amazing benefits with my union. I also don't have a supervisor on my back all day which is good but the management is still very on top of me making sure I am working till the capacity. The company I work for is very established, been around forever. My job is a little flexible (can start a little later on some mornings if I wanted to) but because my workload is intense, I end up having not much flexibility. I feel like work is my life because even when I'm home with my kids at night, I'm still doing work. I applied for a totally different position in a different company. It's in an office. Much less stress, flexible with time you come in and leave. Office is right near my house. I happen to have a friend who just started working here. The day to day job itself is not something that interests me but the flexibility seems really good. Pay is a little more but benefits are not nearly as good and I would need to pay for some benefits whereas now I don't.. so in that sense, the extra money from the salary would have to be applied for the benefits, plus a little more. This company is very very "heimish" and not as established as my company now... no real orientation process for the new position so I may end up feeling like I don't know what I'm doing. The big question is: is the flexibility and less stress that this company claims to provide worth it? I am also concerned that the benefits aren't so great that it would end up costing me a lot more. To make things more complicated, I also applied for the same position as this new company at my company I work for now. Good part about it is the pay(little more than now), great benefits (although not quite as good as the one I have now but still better than the one from the new company). The workload seems pretty intense however and I have no clue if I would finish my work on time or have to stay late to complete it. I don't think I would need to take work home with me though, but I can't say that for sure. Downside is the longer commute by subway every day.
So, do I just stick it out with my job that I've been doing the last few years, with decent pay, amazing benefits, good manager, but lots of stress and work at home after work hours. Or the job at a totally new company which seems way more chilled but also not as established, with good pay but not great benefits. Or the different job at my company which has good pay and benefits, probably less stress than my job now, but a longer commute and probably not as much flexibility as I would like.
Oh and DH is not much of a help, he can't either decide:)
Thanks for reading!

amother
Papaya

Post Wed, May 03 2017, 9:23 pm
Sounds like a tough decision! U think the main question is: what is more important to you right now? Money or flexibility.
If you can handle the small pay cut, and would love to be more relaxed at home with your kids, go for the new job. If money is tight, stick with your old company. (Personally, hate the subway, so would keep your current job).

May I ask what kind of job this is? I'm an rn, and always looking for job opportunities- I'm happy now bh, but could use a change soon.

amother
Amethyst

Post Wed, May 03 2017, 9:30 pm
Since you didn't give details about what specific salary or benefits, it's hard to say.

But, the one thing I can tell you is that I'm like you, always working, because I always have to take work home. So, if the job doesn't require you to take work home, it I definitely worth it even with a longer commute because you'll be able to feel like at home is home" and work I left at work"". However, if you end up paying more for benefits, then you need to see I that's something your family can afford.

What's the priority here? Is it to relieve the stress caused by taking work home? Then take the job involving no taking work home even if you lose some benefits, you will feel less stressed.

But, if the priority is to get benefits then you can't leave.

If you're switching to a new type of job such that you may not know what you are doing, that may be a different stress altogether.

But, you also wrote you were not sure about if they make you take work home...

amother
Peach

Post Wed, May 03 2017, 9:31 pm
Thats a really tough choice and I cant make the decision either Wink

However I do want to share something from my experience. Im a nurse too-and my first job was extremely stressful. Very little flexibility, stressful work conditions, bad bosses etc. I always felt tied to work and it consumed my life with stress.

When I was offered another job (not as glorious as real hands on nursing, a lot of paperwork type job), and I took it, my entire life changed. I had no worries once I clocked out, at home my attention was 100% focused on my DH and kids, I wasnt stressed out, my mind was relaxed and enjoying the company of my family. We saw changes in many areas of our life that all boiled down to the fact that I was less stressed out.

Again, you have some compelling reasons to stay, and I dont know whats better for you-but I did want to highlight the fact that having less work related stress is a HUGE plus.

Hatzlacha with your decision!!

amother
Taupe

Post Wed, May 03 2017, 11:00 pm
Op here.
Thank you all so much for your responses. You all really helped me to see the reason why I want to leave my job in the first place... and yes my "goal" for wanting to leave my job now in the first place is all related to stress and having to take hours of work home with me every night. The new RN position is actually in utilization management. Of course the benefits is a major plus but we are ok now money wise so the biggest factor is the stress!

amother
Orange

Post Thu, May 04 2017, 2:48 am
What do you have against paragraphs?!

fiji

Post Thu, May 04 2017, 8:54 am
I'm a nurse. My first job was beyond insanely stressful in that my facility was SEVERELY understaffed. I would cry very often before going to work. Now I want to stay as far away from floor nursing as I can. My number one priority is my family and if I can't function properly as a wife and mother because of stress my job is not with it. So I settle with a job I am not necessarily so interested in but pays the bills. It's worth my sanity.

Commuting is a killer. I would not consider a commute. Work is stressful enough.

there are definitely benefits for working for a heimish company. Definitely will be more flexible and chilled which is nice and also yomtov won't be an issue. I have worked for heimish places and preferred then much more.

These are my own thoughts and opinions but u have to do what's good for u. I wish you hatzlacha making this difficult decision!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics