Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Riding NYC subway on shabbos

amother
Denim

Post Thu, May 04 2017, 7:26 am
Is it the same as a shabbos elevator if someone else swipes for you?
Why or why not?

amother
Cyan

Post Thu, May 04 2017, 7:32 am
U can take the city bus just as well then.

amother
Denim

Post Thu, May 04 2017, 7:38 am
amother wrote:
U can take the city bus just as well then.

The city bus is different in that if you are the only getting on/off the driver is stopping just for you. You would also have to let the driver know if you were getting off.

PinkFridge

Post Thu, May 04 2017, 9:07 am
What are the circumstances that necessitate riding on the subway on Shabbos?

groovy1224

Post Thu, May 04 2017, 9:37 am
I think the actual turnstile works with some electricity as well, so even if someone swipes for you, you wouldn't be able to get through the turnstile without doing melacha.

HonesttoGod

Post Thu, May 04 2017, 9:51 am
groovy1224 wrote:
I think the actual turnstile works with some electricity as well, so even if someone swipes for you, you wouldn't be able to get through the turnstile without doing melacha.

You could use the wheelchair access gate - wait until someone goes through so they are not opening it just for you.
As for a bus, technically the same - get off only when someone else is getting off so its not just for you.

I am guessing in an emergency situation it may be allowed but then why wouldn't one be using a taxi or ambulance?

For example I know somoene who had to take her kid to the emergency room on shabbas. The dr told her to go as soon as possible but it didn't really warrant taking an ambulance so she was told to take a taxi - in that case I guess it would be possible to take public transportation too BUT 1) Maaris Ayin - its easier to be private in a taxi than on public transportation especially in a largely jewish community and 2) One would be allowed to swipe and push all gates and buttons etc.

seeker

Post Thu, May 04 2017, 10:25 am
I see the perspective that it seems preferable since it's running automatically and not doing anything especially for you, but I would guess that the maris ayin potential would outweigh the other differences. You can't get much more public than a subway.

amother
Linen

Post Thu, May 04 2017, 10:47 am
Theres something called uvda dechol (hope I spelled it right). Youre not supposed to do weekday activities in Shabos. Riding in a rain, even if you arent swiping a metrocard, falls under that restriction.
http://halachipedia.com/index......eChol
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions