Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
ISO Low calorie snack with texture of potato chips?
Previous  1  2

amother
Lime

Post Thu, May 04 2017, 1:00 am
If you eat ANYTHING when you are not hungry, it's food you don't need. Better to wait until you are hungry and eat what your body really wants

lefty1

Post Thu, May 04 2017, 2:28 am
Salted almonds, soy crisps, flavored mini rice cakes,

amother
Babypink

Post Thu, May 04 2017, 5:02 am
Iymnok wrote:
A person shouldn't be eating anything late at night. But if she is, it should be low calorie.

OP here. Who has enough self control to not eat when theyre yearning for something crunchy? (Technically, according to the charts, Im not overweight. I just have problem areas that bother me.)

Also, I prefer the home made options that are less processed and have little or no added salt. What can I eat on Shabbos to satisfy my cravings, if the natural stuff like the home made baked items have to be eaten immediately to taste good, so they cant be prepared before Shabbbos.

toysrus

Post Thu, May 04 2017, 7:04 am
amother wrote:
I get the nighttime munchies for crunchy potato chip type snacks and it destroys my dieting.

I want low calorie snacks with the texture of potato chips, that I love.

Also, which are snacks (any texture) that you dont have to limit that much, when youre on a diet?

flutes...

Amarante

Post Thu, May 04 2017, 8:20 am
amother wrote:
OP here. Who has enough self control to not eat when theyre yearning for something crunchy? (Technically, according to the charts, Im not overweight. I just have problem areas that bother me.)

Also, I prefer the home made options that are less processed and have little or no added salt. What can I eat on Shabbos to satisfy my cravings, if the natural stuff like the home made baked items have to be eaten immediately to taste good, so they cant be prepared before Shabbbos.

Many people control cravings because they have learned behavioral skills that enable them to not succumb. Depending on what your issues are, you analyze the problem exactly and then come up with a solution that becomes a habit.

You say that overeating at night - especially crunchy items - is difficult. This appears to be your way of relaxing and also dealing with stress. (It could be others which is why to get serious, as others have suggested, see someone skilled in eating and work with them for awhile).

Some behavioral suggestions

1) Find other ways to relax - bath, walk, book or magazine you have been saving; facial etc.Talk to friends.

2) Eating is a way of relieving PHYSICAL tension - think of the motion that your hand makes as it goes from bowl of food to mouth over and over again. Sub an action that alleviates tension in the same way. I did needlepoint - my mother did quilting. Bonus since you can't generally eat at activities like this because your hands are greasy.

3) Standard behavioral measures like work across the board - keep a food diary/journal with times that you felt cravings. This one is like magic as the act of tracking honestly.

4) Plan to have snacks that fit in with however you are restricting food

5) Don't keep any kind of trigger foods in your environment

And there are also behavioral measures to deal with "cravings" which are really just momentary impulses. Some may or may not work for you - generally cravings are like a wave - ride it out - set a timer and if you still really really want the food, go to the kitchen and prepare a small portion. Then eat it and slowly.

And unfortunately, there really aren't any crunchy items that are made at home that are low cal except for veggies LOL You can get some kind of crunch but ultimately the home kitchen doesn't have the technical equipment to provide that kind of baked crunch although I've made plain baked potato chips with a mandoline that weren't bad - just really not worth it and not all that low calorie anyway. Frankly, if a small bag of chips or pretzels is what you want, it's not going to adversely impact your health just as having one cookie or a small serving of anything else isn't unhealthy. It's the 90% or more that people eat daily that really has the most impact on health absent some actual medical condition.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise