Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shavuos
ISO Kid friendly grow your own indoor plant

proudema

Post Thu, May 04 2017, 7:07 pm
I have a toddler home with me and I wanted to do a plant project for shavuous with him. Something that will grow fast and is easy to maintain. I was thinking something we can grow in a small plant pot on the windowsill. Any suggestions?

rgr

Post Thu, May 04 2017, 7:43 pm
How about this grass sock head. Its totally adorable!
You might even be able to decorate it like Har Sinai, though I'm not sure about exactly how.

https://youtu.be/eiySWm_WxPo

cm

Post Thu, May 04 2017, 7:52 pm
Herbs are easy to grow in pots, especially if the window is sunny. A small child may enjoy learning to rub the leaves to smell the fragrances, and making simple recipes.

Mint and related herbs such as lemon balm practically grow themselves.

Mint, thyme and geranium come in different varieties so you can choose your favorite scent. Mint and thyme will come back year after year, not sure about geranium.

Rosemary is a good pot-grower. It grows steadily if not extremely fast. It may die over the winter if the temp and light aren't adequate.

Chives - indestructible! Also tasty, and has pretty (and delicious) purple flowers. Your son might like to pinch off a leaf for a tasty snack. Another dependable perennial.

Spider plants are great for growing in pots, and when they send off runners, you can pot those too...we have many generations of spider plants descended from a school planting project my child brought home almost 15 years ago.

zaq

Post Thu, May 04 2017, 9:09 pm
Any kind of bean is super easy, You can speed germination by soaking in water overnight and/or laying between damp paper towels till it shows a bit of root. Chic peas make a particularly pretty, fern-like plant.

amother
Ruby

Post Thu, May 04 2017, 9:19 pm
rgr wrote:
How about this grass sock head. Its totally adorable!
You might even be able to decorate it like Har Sinai, though I'm not sure about exactly how.

https://youtu.be/eiySWm_WxPo

Smile ראש דשא

Blessing1

Post Thu, May 04 2017, 9:39 pm
My daughter planted popcorn seeds!! It grew pretty fast, tall grass & leaves! It's very interesting to watch.

proudema

Post Thu, May 04 2017, 10:10 pm
cm wrote:
Herbs are easy to grow in pots, especially if the window is sunny. A small child may enjoy learning to rub the leaves to smell the fragrances, and making simple recipes.

Mint and related herbs such as lemon balm practically grow themselves.

Mint, thyme and geranium come in different varieties so you can choose your favorite scent. Mint and thyme will come back year after year, not sure about geranium.

Rosemary is a good pot-grower. It grows steadily if not extremely fast. It may die over the winter if the temp and light aren't adequate.

Chives - indestructible! Also tasty, and has pretty (and delicious) purple flowers. Your son might like to pinch off a leaf for a tasty snack. Another dependable perennial.

Spider plants are great for growing in pots, and when they send off runners, you can pot those too...we have many generations of spider plants descended from a school planting project my child brought home almost 15 years ago.

How fast do the chives grow?

cm

Post Thu, May 04 2017, 10:37 pm
proudema wrote:
How fast do the chives grow?

I'm sorry; it's been so long since I started chives from seed that I don't remember the germination time. Once they are growing, they are ready to harvest in a couple of months.

cbg

Post Thu, May 04 2017, 10:45 pm
Beans grow very fast.
By Shavuot you can have a full plant
Eventually it will flower and you'll get string beans that you can eat.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics