Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Can you explain why this isn't kosher?
Previous  1  2

zaq

Post Fri, May 05 2017, 5:04 am
sequoia wrote:
I'd quit.

I assume the roof over your head doesn't depend on your having a job.

amother
Ruby

Post Fri, May 05 2017, 5:09 am
zaq wrote:
I assume the roof over your head doesn't depend on your having a job.

Quit job A , move to job B. Keep roof.

crust

Post Fri, May 05 2017, 5:30 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
Are they members of the "Chumra of the Month Club"?

I hear if you sign up for a year in advance, you get an extra chumra for free. Confused

Tried signing up. Prerequisites are very rigid and changing by the hour.

zaq

Post Fri, May 05 2017, 5:58 am
amother wrote:
Quit job A , move to job B. Keep roof.

Often easier said than done, and sometimes not an option.

cozyblanket

Post Fri, May 05 2017, 6:03 am
zaq wrote:
Often easier said than done, and sometimes not an option.

Especially in chinuch. It is often not much of an option - or might require moving to a new city.

OP, it is odd, but there might just be a good enough reason. Just let it slide off your back and enjoy the coffee.

amother
Slateblue

Post Fri, May 05 2017, 6:44 am
I'm emailing the principal. I'm certainly not going to encourage anyone to leave over this! In fact, this is the first time anything like this has come up that I know of, which is impressive considering the very mixed (from chasidishe to non-jewish secular) staff. This was just done in a very PA way, which considering that the admin is always trying to foster relationships between the yiddish and secular teachers, is not very productive. If all the secular staff were non-jewish or non-observant, maybe it would have not rubbed me the wrong way? I just felt so frustrated that I couldn't even understand what about using a kettle could be not kosher.

I am unsure about asking for this to be addressed to all the staff. I personally think the secular staff would like to know what the issue is, exactly, and have a chance to bring up any concerns with the current set up, rather than feeling like something they're doing without even realizing (making oatmeal, using a mug from home) is making someone else upset, and maybe help the teachers that hold more strictly realize that they are also making people uncomfortable. But maybe that would not be a good idea?

cbsp

Post Sat, May 06 2017, 8:50 pm
I asked my husband (who works for the OU) and the only thing he could come up with (since it doesn't sound like they are restricting non kosher items like oatmeal or hot cocoa with the disposable cups) was maybe they're uncomfortable having a non kosher utensil around (even clean) in case someone accidentally uses it thinking it's kosher.

notshanarishona

Post Sat, May 06 2017, 8:57 pm
Yes, the $10 box of styrofoam cups a month is exactly where ur tuition dollars go too..
Seriously, u r begrudging the school providing coffee to staff? Do u rather teachers b half asleep? Get a life
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen