Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
Yiddish research project

youngmomma

Post Tue, May 09 2017, 5:47 am
Dear friends,

I am posting this on behalf of a colleague who is looking for Yiddish-speaking women who would be willing to participate in a study focusing on Yiddish. I know Itzik personally and can vouch for his professionalism:

My name is Itzik and I'm a PhD student in the Linguistics Department at NYU. I'm writing my dissertation about Yiddish as a spoken language in New York.

My project requires 20 interviews with Yiddish-speaking Hasidim (10 men and 10 women). I already have more than a minyan Hasidic men who have agreed to participate but I am still looking for Yiddish-speaking Hasidic women who would agree to be interviewed.

About the interview: I will ask you questions in Yiddish about yourself (family, work, school, etc.) just to get an informal natural conversation started. Everything will remain strictly confidential and anonymous, in keeping with the requirements of my university (I will bring along a confidentiality form that explains all the details; I can send it to you in advance, as well). You can skip over any topics that you'd rather not discuss -- I am a linguist, not a sociologist or anthropologist, so my primary interest is the Yiddish language.

The entire interview takes about an hour. We could meet in an office in NYU, or somewhere more convenient for you. The important thing is that the room is quiet enough for me to make a high-quality audio recording (no video) that I can analyze afterwards.

I am also happy to meet with husbands, brothers, female friends etc. in the same room if that is more comfortable for you. They can even join in on the interview. I can also bring a female along to the interview, who can even ask the questions for me, if you prefer.

Please let me know what you think! I am happy to discuss any and all details. And thanks in advance for your help.

Sincerely,
Itzik Bleaman
ibleaman@nyu.edu
More info about me: https://wp.nyu.edu/ibleaman
I'm also on Whatsapp and Facebook.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics