Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
PhD in psychology

amother
Cerulean

Post Sun, May 07 2017, 9:59 pm
Hi all,
Any women here have a PhD in psychology? I am considering going for my doctorate (currently I have just a BA in psych) and would love to hear from others in the field. Specifically:
Which program did you attend?
How long did it take you?
Did you receive a stipend?
What are you working as? (Psychologist, professor, researcher...)

Any information would be helpful!
Thank you.

amother
Vermilion

Post Sun, May 07 2017, 10:16 pm
Following!

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Mon, May 08 2017, 6:56 am
I have my PhD in psychology. I got a fellowship throughout my years in school so that I didn't have to pay for my doctorate until my 4th year. It did take me 7 years to finish - the extra years were me working on my dissertation.

I am currently working as a psychologist and I love my job. The things that I would say to keep in mind is to figure out what you want to do as a psychologist - and then decide if getting a doctorate is necessary for that, or if the same goal can be accomplished with a different degree (ma, msw, etc). I say that because the schooling for a doctorate is long and hard (and can be expensive if you don't get a fellowship) so you should make sure you need a doctorate to accomplish your professional goals.

I love my job and the ability to help and support people every day. I feel like I am really doing something meaningful and helpful so I am glad I chose this route. Just be aware - it is a long route - and because I had several kids along the way my route took even a little longer.

Good luck!

miami85

Post Tue, May 09 2017, 2:17 pm
I'm considering getting my PhD some day, I already have a Master's (actually 2) but I have very little research experience. Trying to figure out how to get some. Any suggestions?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics