Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Household Products, Kitchen Appliances, Furniture & Cars
Tell Me About the Instant Pot
1  2  3  Next

Fox

Post Thu, Apr 20 2017, 1:25 pm
In another thread, WaterGirl and SixOfWands mentioned how much they liked the Instant Pot.

I used to have a pressure cooker, but I ended up only really using it for soup. It eventually broke. I use my slow cooker for meatballs, stew, and the occasional cholent attempt. Looking for the worst cholent in North American? Woo hoo, that'd be me, over here! I also had a rice cooker, which I loved, but it too eventually went to small appliance heaven and I never replaced it.

So what does the Instant Pot do -- aside from combining all those functions in one? What amazing things do you make in it?

watergirl

Post Thu, Apr 20 2017, 1:40 pm
Fox wrote:
In another thread, WaterGirl and SixOfWands mentioned how much they liked the Instant Pot.

I used to have a pressure cooker, but I ended up only really using it for soup. It eventually broke. I use my slow cooker for meatballs, stew, and the occasional cholent attempt. Looking for the worst cholent in North American? Woo hoo, that'd be me, over here! I also had a rice cooker, which I loved, but it too eventually went to small appliance heaven and I never replaced it.

So what does the Instant Pot do -- aside from combining all those functions in one? What amazing things do you make in it?

I have way too many amazing things about the instant pot to say right here right now. I'm coasting care to remind me to add more to this post later. But for now I would tell you just to go ahead and get one! Thank me later.

SixOfWands

Post Thu, Apr 20 2017, 1:51 pm
Fox wrote:

It also sautees and steams. And makes yogurt, although that's pretty useless to me, since my pot is meat. But mostly its an electric pressure cooker that works simply and effectively.

We eat a lot of soup, so its very helpful there. Soups that used to simmer for hours are now done in a much more reasonable time. Especially split pea soup (which DH loves, and I can now make after work, instead of devoting several hours on a weekend), broccoli (faux) cheddar soup (which I'm making tonight, and is done in no time flat), mushroom barley (not quite as good as my stovetop recipe, but compare over 3 hours to under an hour, and see which one you get more often), and chicken soup. I even do my matzo balls in there.

Gefilte fish.

Mashed potatoes and "roasted" baby potatoes.

Quinoa, fast (1 minute at pressure). Life-changing for me.

Arborio rice.

I made my roasts in it this Pesach, and they were great. I'm trying corned beef next. You can also do chickens, but I prefer boneless chicken, which doesn't do quite as well in there.

Butternut and spaghetti squash.

I make some good things with ground beef -- meatballs and picadillo, for example.

And people marvel at its egg-making ability, but I don't use it for that.

If you're on Facebook, read the Kosher Instant Pot group. They're a lot more creative than I am. layering things and making whole meals at once.

BTW, I'm pretty sure that I make the world's worst cholent, so you're off the hook on that one. Fortunately no one in my house cares for cholent. Although maybe that's because mine is so bad.

ETA -- if also cooks frozen meat without a significant diminution in quality, so if you forget to defrost, its amazing.

crbc

Post Thu, Apr 20 2017, 3:47 pm
I love my Instant pot. There are multiple groups on FB , including kosher instant pot group , with tons of ideas and recipes. It's a must for working moms!

tichellady

Post Thu, Apr 20 2017, 4:07 pm
Hmm, now I want one

tigerwife

Post Thu, Apr 20 2017, 4:36 pm
Me, too. Any brand recommendations?

Vanilla

Post Thu, Apr 20 2017, 4:39 pm
I have one, but dont know what to use it for. We eat very little meat/poultry, which I think it would be most used for.

youngishbear

Post Thu, Apr 20 2017, 5:07 pm
tigerwife wrote:

Me 3. Smile

Following.

watergirl

Post Thu, Apr 20 2017, 5:11 pm
tigerwife wrote:

Yes - Instant Pot! Its the brand that we all love. If youre on fb, join the kosher instant pot group.

mha3484

Post Tue, May 09 2017, 12:24 pm
Can you all give me some recipes for non meat recipes? We only eat meat once a week other then shabbos so I cant decide if its worth while.

SixOfWands

Post Tue, May 09 2017, 12:29 pm
mha3484 wrote:
Can you all give me some recipes for non meat recipes? We only eat meat once a week other then shabbos so I cant decide if its worth while.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/whitn.....rBgxq

But if all I used it for was soups (chicken soup, mushroom barley soup, split pea soup, broccoli (faux) cheddar soup, etc), quinoa (1 minute at pressure) and risotta, it would be worth it to me.

tichellady

Post Tue, May 09 2017, 12:30 pm
If I wanted a meat and dairy one would I need to buy 2 or is there a way to buy 2 different inserts (I see that option online but can't tell how it would work in terms of kashrut)

shyshira

Post Tue, May 09 2017, 12:32 pm
tichellady wrote:
If I wanted a meat and dairy one would I need to buy 2 or is there a way to buy 2 different inserts (I see that option online but can't tell how it would work in terms of kashrut)

most would hold that you'd also need a separate lid - which I don't think you can buy.

SixOfWands

Post Tue, May 09 2017, 12:38 pm
tichellady wrote:

While there are different opinions, most hold that you would need separate pots for meat and dairy.

tichellady

Post Tue, May 09 2017, 12:43 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
https://www.buzzfeed.com/whitneyjefferson/vegetarian-instant-pot-recipes?utm_term=.toGjo40Xq#.uy7zrBgxq

But if all I used it for was soups (chicken soup, mushroom barley soup, split pea soup, broccoli (faux) cheddar soup, etc), quinoa (1 minute at pressure) and risotta, it would be worth it to me.

Can you share the broccoli soup recipe please?

tichellady

Post Tue, May 09 2017, 12:44 pm
shyshira wrote:
most would hold that you'd also need a separate lid - which I don't think you can buy.

Thanks

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, May 09 2017, 2:51 pm
Anyone know where I can buy one in Israel? I've been looking, but I haven't seen them around.

reachout

Post Wed, May 10 2017, 5:05 am
5.5-Cup-Rice-Cooker-%2526-WarmerSteamerSlow-Cooker.product.100279627.html

Is this it, or is it something else?

watergirl

Post Wed, May 10 2017, 5:40 am
reachout wrote:
5.5-Cup-Rice-Cooker-%2526-WarmerSteamerSlow-Cooker.product.100279627.html

Is this it, or is it something else?

Literlly look on amazon for an "instant pot 6 quart 7 in 1".

Rubber Ducky

Post Wed, May 10 2017, 5:42 am
LIke this: https://smile.amazon.com/s/ref.....+in+1
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Shopping -> Household Products, Kitchen Appliances, Furniture & Cars