Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Job discrimination for being overweight
Previous  1  2

cheeseblintz

Post Mon, May 08 2017, 11:35 am
The truth is you really have no idea why you're not getting called back. You may think you're interviewing well but you might not.

Fox

Post Mon, May 08 2017, 12:45 pm
I don't doubt, OP, that you're being overlooked because of your weight. The truth is that anyone hiring an employee will discriminate in a myriad of ways. Not just appearance, age, race, gender, religion, etc., but also things like accent, neighborhood, fashion sense, social class, and many more.

When I worked as a job search coach, primarily for African-American and Latina students, we bluntly advised them to tackle prejudice head-on. What stereotypes might this interview have about me and what can I do to overcome them?

In the case of someone who is overweight, you are at risk of being pre-judged as lazy and lacking self-discipline. So you have to control the interview so that you can show yourself as energetic, able to meet goals, and disciplined. The interview process brings out stupidity in otherwise smart people, and you have to connect the dots for them.

"One of the biggest assets I can bring to your firm is my energy. At my last job I juggled three major projects that required me to make frequent site trips for inspections and coordinate multiple work crews."

"I'm probably the most disciplined candidate you'll see for this position. I was the de facto project manager at my last job. I was responsible not only for meeting my own deadlines, but for making sure that other employees -- including my superiors -- were on target to fulfill our contracts."

"My hobbies? Outside of work, I spend time hiking, gardening, and participating in yoga classes."

Of course, meeting prejudices head-on doesn't always work, but it can sometimes give you the break you need!

amother
Natural

Post Mon, May 08 2017, 1:38 pm
Iymnok wrote:
Can you let them know beforehand so that they expect someone of your shape to walk in the door? Or bring it up in passing during the interview to send the message that you are healthy (you won't take lots of sick leave), respectful and a pleasure to be around.
People can be really stupid. You know full well that you are talented and skilled in the area that you are applying for. That's clear in your post. Confident too. And I'm sure you make sure you look great for the interview. So my suggestion is addressing the elephant in the room.
(I'm wondering if they're intimidated by you. I'm a little intimidated by my own friends who are a lot taller than me.)

NO! Terrible idea. Good OP for seeing how bad this is.

marina

Post Mon, May 08 2017, 2:31 pm
Iymnok wrote:
Can you let them know beforehand so that they expect someone of your shape to walk in the door? Or bring it up in passing during the interview to send the message that you are healthy (you won't take lots of sick leave), respectful and a pleasure to be around.
People can be really stupid. You know full well that you are talented and skilled in the area that you are applying for. That's clear in your post. Confident too. And I'm sure you make sure you look great for the interview. So my suggestion is addressing the elephant in the room.
(I'm wondering if they're intimidated by you. I'm a little intimidated by my own friends who are a lot taller than me.)

I sort of agree with this. Maybe the best way to do it is just include a small picture on the resume that will naturally reflect your proportions and also showcase your smile.

Apparently this is a thing:

https://www.canva.com/template.....hoto/

That way, when you get the interview, you will feel more confident knowing that they already know a bit about what you look like.

SixOfWands

Post Mon, May 08 2017, 2:41 pm
marina wrote:
I sort of agree with this. Maybe the best way to do it is just include a small picture on the resume that will naturally reflect your proportions and also showcase your smile.

That way, when you get the interview, you will feel more confident knowing that they already know a bit about what you look like.

I respectfully disagree.

Give her a change to get her foot in the door and wow them, rather than be rejected off the bat due to her size.

The ONLY thing she could do, and I don't like the idea, is add a Hobby section to her resume, and put in some physical activity, to make it clear that she's healthy and active.

marina

Post Mon, May 08 2017, 2:55 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
I respectfully disagree.

Give her a change to get her foot in the door and wow them, rather than be rejected off the bat due to her size.

The ONLY thing she could do, and I don't like the idea, is add a Hobby section to her resume, and put in some physical activity, to make it clear that she's healthy and active.

Yeah, but she's already done this and it hasn't worked. If she's rejected right off the bat, maybe the ones that she is not rejected by will actually hire her. I dk- difficult situation.

amother
Cerulean

Post Mon, May 08 2017, 3:02 pm
marina wrote:

Marina, that is not done at all on resumes. That would make the resume look like its from high school or something. Its just not done on a resume. At least its not done where I live. Ive asked.

tichellady

Post Mon, May 08 2017, 3:27 pm
marina wrote:

This is definitely not a thing in the US. I have seen it with international candidates applying to American jobs

marina

Post Mon, May 08 2017, 3:37 pm
Yes, I read that it's not generally advisable etc. But I'm trying to think outside the box. I can imagine it is awful to get calls back and prepare for an interview and off the bat expect the interviewer to be disappointed and not hire you.

This is why dating pages have pictures on them- so this doesn't happen. Obv it's different with a resume but she can try it and see if she has better luck. Or she can keep doing the same thing over and over.

Iymnok

Post Mon, May 08 2017, 3:59 pm
marina wrote:
Yes, I read that it's not generally advisable etc. But I'm trying to think outside the box. I can imagine it is awful to get calls back and prepare for an interview and off the bat expect the interviewer to be disappointed and not hire you.

This is why dating pages have pictures on them- so this doesn't happen. Obv it's different with a resume but she can try it and see if she has better luck. Or she can keep doing the same thing over and over.

Well, I just checked with professor Google. It seems that after receiving the resume, the prospective employer checks the Facebook page. So leave the picture off the resume, but have only good ones on your Facebook page. Pictures that give the impression you want.

mirror

Post Tue, May 09 2017, 12:13 am
Have you tried temping / subbing / working as a floater? Sometimes you can get your foot in the door by covering for people on leave. If I were you, I would stop interviewing and start calling around to see who can use an extra hand.

Chana Miriam S

Post Tue, May 09 2017, 2:10 am
When I was having a hard time finding jobs in construction, I started baking bread for friends. Eventually that turned into a catering business which also turned into niagara kosher pizza. I ami am very, very overweight but since starting my own business, I find that rejection tends to be cost or idea related rather than a rejection of me. And lately, no ones rejecting me at all. I can't believe how busy my summer outside niagara is, never mind IN the restaurant!

I'm not sure what I'm saying other than there are other reasons you may not be getting called back....

amother
Cerulean

Post Tue, May 09 2017, 4:04 am
marina wrote:

No marina, I can not do this. I have asked career counselors, a few of them even, about this. They said in no uncertain terms that this is not to be done. That it looks unprofessional to do this. So, this has nothing to do with out of the box. It would be a bad career move.

Ruchel

Post Tue, May 09 2017, 7:32 am
My French experience might be totally off, but basically everyone does a pic, and even though it's not legal to ask, people also mention children etc.

tichellady

Post Tue, May 09 2017, 9:57 am
Ruchel wrote:
My French experience might be totally off, but basically everyone does a pic, and even though it's not legal to ask, people also mention children etc.

That is normal in Europe, not normal in the US. I'm 100% sure on this one. I used to work in this field

egam

Post Tue, May 09 2017, 11:44 am
What about LinkedIn? Do you have a profile with your picture there? I don't even know if it's better to have it or not.
I do not have my picture there specifically not to be age discriminated.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, May 09 2017, 1:22 pm
I don't know what type of job you're looking for, or what the market is like where you live.

When I lived in NYC, I temped as a receptionist, switchboard operator, secretary, and accounting assistant. I often got job offers, and I could pick and choose where I wanted to go. Many firms would only hire through temp agencies, because they could "try before they buy".

Another angle, is to make yourself sound really in demand. "I would love to work for your firm, but I'll need an answer soon. I already have one offer on the table, and two more 2nd interviews scheduled. Right now, your firm is the most attractive, so the sooner I could notify the others, the better."

amother
Cerulean

Post Tue, May 09 2017, 2:25 pm
tichellady wrote:
That is normal in Europe, not normal in the US. I'm 100% sure on this one. I used to work in this field
Its also not done in Israel.

BabsB

Post Wed, May 10 2017, 10:26 am
Iymnok wrote:
Well, I just checked with professor Google. It seems that after receiving the resume, the prospective employer checks the Facebook page. So leave the picture off the resume, but have only good ones on your Facebook page. Pictures that give the impression you want.

They don't just check facebook. It's also LinkedIn and just general google searches.

I had a career counselor once suggest you should google every single variation of your own name you can think of. If any of them come up with bad results, don't ever put that version on your resume. Pick the best one.

For me Nickname MI Lastname brings the best google results, so that's what's on my resume. (And my linkedin, my facebook name is just different enough it doesn't come up in the search)
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics