Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Seems like a water leak in roof, first floor please help!!

amother
Babyblue

Post Mon, May 08 2017, 4:56 pm
I am so upset.. We just bought a two floor house and Im seeing on the dining room ceiling, what looks like a huge water leak... Im devastated..what can I do? How is this usually fixed and is it very expensive?
Tia
(this seemed to happen in last week definitely wasnt there when we bought it)

MagentaYenta

Post Mon, May 08 2017, 5:28 pm
You need to find out where the water is coming from, likely a pipe. So yea it's gonna cost.

SixOfWands

Post Mon, May 08 2017, 5:31 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:
You need to find out where the water is coming from, likely a pipe. So yea it's gonna cost.

This.

Does the dampness dry up when its not raining? Is it under a bathroom where someone overflowed a tub, or forgot to close a shower door? If you can see water, is it clean or murky?

But chances are its a pipe, and you'll need to open up the ceiling to get to it.

MagentaYenta

Post Mon, May 08 2017, 5:37 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
This.

Does the dampness dry up when its not raining? Is it under a bathroom where someone overflowed a tub, or forgot to close a shower door? If you can see water, is it clean or murky?

But chances are its a pipe, and you'll need to open up the ceiling to get to it.

I can't see how a roof leak would impact a first floor but it is possible and can happen. My money is on the big $$ repair, interior pipe.

amother
Indigo

Post Mon, May 08 2017, 6:43 pm
We had this. It was the air conditioner system that needed water removed from it. I know I'm not explaining well. If there is any a.c. stuff on top, get it checked out.

amother
Babyblue

Post Mon, May 08 2017, 7:01 pm
Thx so much Everyone, I'm so nervous if it's going to be very expensive..
To amother above, no we don't have central ac. It's an older house

amother
Babyblue

Post Tue, May 09 2017, 12:26 pm
Would anyone have any idea how much these things cost?

Thanks so much

SixOfWands

Post Tue, May 09 2017, 12:44 pm
amother wrote:
Would anyone have any idea how much these things cost?

Thanks so much

This leak could require anything from having to caulk around your tub to replacing a bathroom or roof. So anywhere between $35 and $20,000.

The only thing that I can tell you is that if you allow the leak to go unrepaired, it will cost more as more damage is done.

amother
Babyblue

Post Tue, May 09 2017, 1:21 pm
Thx,, yes definitely taking care of it. The dining room and kitchen have a very strong smell of mold!

amother
Lavender

Post Tue, May 09 2017, 2:38 pm
How long ago did you buy the house?
I would bet the previous owners knew about it and did the minimum work to hide the damage.

doctorima

Post Tue, May 09 2017, 3:13 pm
After you figure out what was causing it and fix it, you should also check with your lawyer to see if there's anything in the contract that would allow you to go after the previous owner for part or all of the cost.

amother
Babyblue

Post Tue, May 09 2017, 7:50 pm
Yeah right... In my dreams I wish the owner will pay we just bought this house a few weeks ago

It seems so crazy and unfair....

MagentaYenta

Post Tue, May 09 2017, 7:56 pm
amother wrote:
Yeah right... In my dreams I wish the owner will pay we just bought this house a few weeks ago

It seems so crazy and unfair....

Who did your inspection?

amother
Babyblue

Post Tue, May 09 2017, 7:58 pm
I forgot the name of the company, but a very well known company in NY,

I was also thinking to be upset at them that they didn't pick this up,
But I was thinking how would they have seen that the pipes were so bad? The inspector didn't open up the roof...

MagentaYenta

Post Tue, May 09 2017, 8:02 pm
amother wrote:
I forgot the name of the company, but a very well known company in NY,

I was also thinking to be upset at them that they didn't pick this up,
But I was thinking how would they have seen that the pipes were so bad? The inspector didn't open up the roof...

Has it been determined which pipes? At one point it was mentioned that it could be condensate from the AC (in that case the AC may be improperly installed if it is in an attic or crawlspace at the top of the house. Something an inspector should have noticed).

amother
Babyblue

Post Tue, May 09 2017, 8:04 pm
Seems like it's from the bathroom on the second floor.. We don't have central ac

amother
Pearl

Post Tue, May 09 2017, 9:43 pm
Your homeowner's insurance should cover this. Why don't you make a claim? They will send down a rep to inspect the damage so call before you do repairs. You can call your insurance broker to guide you about the specifics of the plan he sold you. You can also call a restoration company for an estimate. And/or you can call a public adjustor to see if its worthwhile to make a claim.

amother
Babyblue

Post Tue, May 09 2017, 9:56 pm
Thanks pearl.. This sounds like good news u made my day Very Happy

HopeMother

Post Wed, May 10 2017, 12:23 pm
Check out what is causing the leak. Get it fixed. Keep all receipts and documents. If it is an ongoing leak that clearly the previous homeowner knew about you should be able to sue them for damages. If you can prove for example that there is tons of mold and the leak had been happening for a while but they simply painted over a stain on the ceiling to hide it and sell you will be entitled for damages. Take care of it ASAP and retain a lawyer ASAP. Time is not on your side.

studying_torah

Post Wed, May 10 2017, 12:30 pm
Before you open the ceiling, I have a few ideas:
check if it might be from clogged gutters, they can cause bad leaks.
Check if it's actually a pipe, it might just be some caulk that wore away from the tub or shower and is letting water leak thru.
Many inspections will not cover mold, even if it was there beforehand.
Good luck, I hope it's a simple fix!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics