Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Extended sick leave- payment

amother
Ivory

Post Thu, May 11 2017, 1:10 am
I'm curious what you think. I am a salaried employee for a small business. I have been ill for two weeks and my doctor has encouraged me not to return to work until I am better to ensure a long-term recovery ( I have a serious viral infection). I have been doing some work from home, responding to emails etc but obviously much less work than I would be doing being on-site and healthy. My manager asked me how she should handle paying me. I have far exceeded my allotted sick days. Is it unreasonable to expect them to continue paying me? Should I be getting paid half? Should I take the days unpaid even though I am doing some work from home? I know it's ultimately the boss's decisions but it sounds like they want to know what I think is fair. Thank Gd, I have never exceeded my sick days before in my life so I'm not really sure what's normal. It sounds like this has never really happened before in the office.

My husband works in a business where they continue to pay salaried employees when they are sick (if they are really truly ill, recovering from surgery etc) so he thinks that is normal, but I don't really have a sense. He knows because he ended up missing a few weeks of work a few years ago due to serious illness and they continued payroll as normal.

amother
Khaki

Post Thu, May 11 2017, 1:17 am
Are you in the US? What state?

amother
Ivory

Post Thu, May 11 2017, 1:17 am
amother wrote:
Are you in the US? What state?

Yes in the US, in California

amother
Khaki

Post Thu, May 11 2017, 1:29 am
your manager is putting you in a funny position by asking you... lots of factors - but if your reduced and capacity hours mean that your employer needs to get temporary help, or has a financial set-back because if the work isn't getting done he's not getting paid... then I could understand why the employer would cut back on your pay.

The most reasonable thing would be to continue to work a few hours at home (if your MD is okay with it) ask your employer for prorated pay based on hours worked, and apply to the California EDD for short-term disability benefits. Consult with your MD first to be sure he's sign-off.

amother
Ivory

Post Thu, May 11 2017, 1:32 am
amother wrote:
your manager is putting you in a funny position by asking you... lots of factors - but if your reduced and capacity hours mean that your employer needs to get temporary help, or has a financial set-back because if the work isn't getting done he's not getting paid... then I could understand why the employer would cut back on your pay.

The most reasonable thing would be to continue to work a few hours at home (if your MD is okay with it) ask your employer for prorated pay based on hours worked, and apply to the California EDD for short-term disability benefits. Consult with your MD first to be sure he's sign-off.

I agree. There is no financial set back. I'm just going to have lots of catch up when I get back but it's not the sort of job where they would hire temporary help etc . Thanks for the advice

amother
Khaki

Post Thu, May 11 2017, 1:37 am
Refuah Shleima!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics