Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Self employed WAH or standerd job

amother
Firebrick

Post Thu, May 11 2017, 12:55 am
What is better a Self employed job or slandered minimal wage job?

I am a mother of a large family with kids ranging from teen -toddler. I have a small few hour a week job out of the house and even smaller WAH job. I'm debating weather to go full force into a virtual secretary type WAH job or take a 2 day a week opportunity which is in kids school, local but minimal pay but I have exact skills and steady reliable income.
On the other hand if I go the other way it will take time to build up a business at home but has more potential to make more per hour for less work. Has flexibility for kids appointments etc. And I can keep my two current jobs on top of it. Basically it will be an extension of my WAH job offering that service to more people not just one which I do now.

TwinsMommy

Post Thu, May 11 2017, 9:27 pm
I prefer the flexibility and the higher money per hour of being self employed. over the years I've also taken some paid per hour work too (like right now a friend needs help with babysitting so I do that for her now and then because I enjoy it) but financially I do better when I can completely focus on self employment.

HOWEVER, I get distracted at home by laundry and junk so I end up doing income producing activities at 11:30 at night and running errands during the day, etc. It gets funny.

bigbird

Post Fri, May 12 2017, 2:26 am
Don't underestimate how much time running your own business will take. In my experience, besides for how much there is to do, your thoughts become consumed with ideas and things to do, even during non working hours and could distract you when kids are around. On top of that, you're working 2 other jobs and you could quickly find yourself working more than full time.

Personally I would do the 2 days a week. It's minimal enough to not require a major overhaul to the logistics of running a busy house and you don't need to worry about it on your days off, but as you say, provides a steady income and some structure to your week.

Then again, if you're the disciplined type who can switch off and give full attention to your family even when not working, and can also avoid getting distracted by domestic tasks, maybe you could manage working from home. Only you know yourself.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics