Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
From 2 to 1 naps - For a big Weissbluth fan

amother
Khaki

Post Thu, May 11 2017, 10:35 am
My 13.5 month old had been super consistent with his naps till about Pesach. Since then, it's been harder and harder to get him to take his second nap.

Last week, he stopped going to sleep for his second nap (2:30/3:00 PM start time) but he still seems tired in the morning, enough to take his first nap only a bit later (10 instead of 9).

I am surprised that he started dropping naps with his 2nd nap... I thought his first nap was supposed to fizzle out. (DH is extremely proud that our boy is doing things "his own way". Rolling Eyes )

So now we're trying to get him on a one nap mid-day schedule, but it's really hard. We're aiming for 11 but he gets so tired at 9:30 still... So we settle for 10/10:30, he sleeps 2 hours (instead of 3) and then he's sooooooo tired till his bedtime (which we moved up to 6)... He's cranky from 4-6 and I don't want to put him to sleep earlier b/c I don't want him to get up earlier. Right now, he usually sleeps from 6-6:15 which works for me... I can't get up in the 5's.

ANY THOUGHTS? ANY ADVICE?

TIA

lucky14

Post Thu, May 11 2017, 11:12 am
I actually read a few places that the afternoon nap is the one they usually drop. Anyway- what happens if you try keeping him super engaged in the morning when he starts getting sleepy. How flexible is your schedule? Are you able to take him outside for a little while around that time? I'd try for a few days like being SUPER entertaining and doing fun stuff like right before he usually starts getting tired in the AM. See if you can start pushing off the nap. Maybe he'll get used to napping later.

cozyblanket

Post Thu, May 11 2017, 11:16 am
Doesn't Weissbluth say that putting a child to be earlier often does NOT equal getting up earlier? Have you actually tried putting him in earlier and seeing what happens? Or are you just guessing? It might be worth a try 1-2 times just so you know. Maybe it won't happen the way you think it will.

amother
Khaki

Post Thu, May 11 2017, 1:24 pm
cozyblanket wrote:
Doesn't Weissbluth say that putting a child to be earlier often does NOT equal getting up earlier? Have you actually tried putting him in earlier and seeing what happens? Or are you just guessing? It might be worth a try 1-2 times just so you know. Maybe it won't happen the way you think it will.

Yes Weissbluth does say earlier is better but that's for kids who aren't already sleeping 12 hrs a night. I don't think my baby will sleep 13 hrs a night

lucky14

Post Thu, May 11 2017, 5:42 pm
cozyblanket wrote:

I think it's true to a certain point. I think 5pm is pushing it. He says like 6 or 6:30ish bedtime if I remember correctly. I think he's talking to parents who put their kids to sleep at like 8 or 9.

amother
Bronze

Post Sun, May 14 2017, 10:57 am
We had this with my daughter when she was around 15 months, if I recall correctly.

We had to move her morning nap later very slowly. So have it at 10 for now, and then after a week, do 10:15, after another week 10:30, etc. I think we finally got it to around 11:30, and it stayed there for a quite a while, and that worked very well, since it was really mid-day for her, and we had it later when she was a bit older. You can aim for later too whenever you want.

Keep putting her to bed at 6 - I wouldn't do it earlier or later than that.

Once my daughter was taking her 1 nap in the middle of the day and was used to it, we pushed her bedtime back to 7 (e.g. to sleep from 7am to 7pm), but this was only after 2-3 months.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics