Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Ever made something truly awful
Previous  1  2  3  4  5

amother
Denim

Post Sun, May 14 2017, 10:16 am
rachel6543 wrote:
When I was a kid making cookies I used cumin instead of cinnamon by mistake. I don't recommend doing that!

Ooh, I remember the time dh did that with apple crumble (which normally he's great at making), and wouldn't you know it was the first week in months that we were having guests! I don't remember if we had anything else to scramble together for dessert but I think we'd had enough food at the main course that no one went hungry, at least.

amother
Natural

Post Sun, May 14 2017, 6:28 pm
My friend just wanted to be sweet and baked a beautiful chocolate cheescake for a new neighbor. After sending it over, she tasted the identical one she had made for herself- and realized she had used D&D fried onion cream cheese

eschaya

Post Sun, May 14 2017, 9:25 pm
This thread is making me feel so much better about myself! Where to even start...
- First week as newlyweds in our new apartment. We didn't have the gas stove hooked up yet, but I figured that a plata might work (bad idea). I also was very health conscious and only used whole wheat noodles. Lets just say that supper was a congealed mass, and adding cheese and sauce did not do much to help.
- I've done the baking soda/baking powder switch so many times that DH actually labeled the baking soda box with the warning "this is not baking powder". Oh, and unfortunately, it was his birthday cake that (twice!!!) got the lucky switch
- potatoes that taste off... happens to me too often, usually when I'm having over guests I want to impress, like me ILs.
- I underbaked my challahs recently, to the point that most of the inside was raw. So I stuck the remaining loaves in the freezer, and figured I'd rebake them (I now know that this won't work). This past week I defrosted the raw but baked challah and put them in the oven to rebake. Then I decided to take a hike (for real) and forgot that my oven was on. When I came home an hour and a half later, the challahs were rock hard, burnt and black... and still raw in the inside!!! These went into the garbage.
Sigh, and there are so many more. Some of us just weren't cut out for this domestic stuff.

debsey

Post Sun, May 14 2017, 10:41 pm
Every. Single. Night.

.....According to my one extremely picky son, who makes his own supper every night, because he can't bear to eat things such as chicken or baked ziti or hamburgers.

ra_mom

Post Sun, May 14 2017, 11:00 pm
debsey wrote:
Every. Single. Night.

.....According to my one extremely picky son, who makes his own supper every night, because he can't bear to eat things such as chicken or baked ziti or hamburgers.

And what gourmet dishes does he make for himself instead? Mad

debsey

Post Sun, May 14 2017, 11:36 pm
ra_mom wrote:
And what gourmet dishes does he make for himself instead? Mad

that truly challenging cuisine known as "cereal and milk." He assures me it's comme il faut, every time.

amother
Blush

Post Mon, May 15 2017, 8:20 am
I love this thread! When I was around 13 me and a friend were hanging out at her house by ourselves and decided to make ourselves lunch. We decided that we both really liked pasta, and also chocolate that we would put the two together. We literally mixed melted chocolate with the pasta. Don't try it at home guys, it all went into the garbage.

amother
Aubergine

Post Mon, May 15 2017, 9:32 am
The time my DD made chocolate chip cookies the first time. I was wondering why they were rising so quickly. I took one bite (they were awful) and I quickly asked her how much baking soda did she use? She had used 3/4 of a cup of baking soda, instead of 3/4 teaspoon.

zaq

Post Mon, May 15 2017, 10:29 am
amother wrote:
The time my DD made chocolate chip cookies the first time. I was wondering why they were rising so quickly. I took one bite (they were awful) and I quickly asked her how much baking soda did she use? She had used 3/4 of a cup of baking soda, instead of 3/4 teaspoon.
shock

Raisin

Post Mon, May 15 2017, 10:45 am
I once made a chicken dish and subsituted cream with coffee whitener, or some other product which was very sweet. It came out awful.

Another time I was making a huge batch of pies and stuff for a simcha and used pareve cream. Afterwards my husband tasted one and said it was awful. I couldn't think where I had gone wrong until a few weeks later the maker of the pareve cream placed an ad saying a recent batch of the cream was not good. What killed me is I used tons of good expensive chocolate in those pies!

Raisin

Post Mon, May 15 2017, 10:50 am
Another time I arranged some big event in my community. We hired an excellent chef. Brisket was on the menu. Everything was delicious except for the brisket. It was awful. I realised that the butcher had sent pickled brisket and labelled it as regular brisket and the chef had not noticed. Obviously he used a recipe you use with regular brisket.

I don't think we buy from that supplier anymore...

Blue jay

Post Mon, May 15 2017, 10:59 am
Once on a health kick, I attempted to make a green smoothie in a cheap blender.

the texture was gritty and tasted like .....you fill in the blank. embarrassed

I have never attempted to make or even taste a smoothie of any kind again.

I actually drank that nasty concoction for 3 days in hopes it would "reboot" my system. Puke

mha3484

Post Mon, May 15 2017, 10:59 am
When we were newly married I made a vegetarian chili. I had heard about using chipoltle peppers so I bought a can. I did not realize that you are only supposed to use one pepper and I used the whole can. DH was a sport and ate two servings I could barely eat a few bites.

shanie5

Post Mon, May 15 2017, 10:29 pm
As a teen my friend and I were baking a cake. Just before we put it in the oven, my mom came home and licked a bit of the batter. She asked what we put in it. The recipe said 1 baking soda-so we put in 1 cup. That went down the drain before baking.

Someone mentioned pickled chicken roast. I was gifted one too. It smelled so bad, I wouldn't touch it. Nice mom that I am, I made my kids try it. 1 bite was all anyone could manage. It was tossed.

I once had a pound of ground beef defrosted that I had to use up. I looked to see what I had in the house. I ended up making a fleishy lasagna. Layered like this: lasagna noodles. pasta sauce. ground beef (raw), noodles, sauce, french fries, noodles, sauce mixed veggies, noodles, sauce. I called it "awful lasagna" and made chicken also, figuring the kids would hate the lasagna. I was wrong. They loved it! asked me to make it again, just without the veggies. We still call it 'awful lasagna'.

ra_mom

Post Mon, May 15 2017, 11:55 pm
debsey wrote:
that truly challenging cuisine known as "cereal and milk." He assures me it's comme il faut, every time.
I think we all know at least one person like this who lives on cereal and milk. Very Happy

Chana Miriam S

Post Tue, May 16 2017, 1:57 am
The first time I cooked in volume, I made cornbread for forty ppl. It looked gorgeous and smelled great. But I had increased the salt by however many times the recipe... it was inedible and I didn't try it before I served it!

PinkFridge

Post Tue, May 16 2017, 8:15 am
andrea levy wrote:
The first time I cooked in volume, I made cornbread for forty ppl. It looked gorgeous and smelled great. But I had increased the salt by however many times the recipe... it was inedible and I didn't try it before I served it!

And here you are running a restaurant now. There's hope for us all ;-)

princessleah

Post Tue, May 16 2017, 9:18 am
When I was dating now-DH, I had him and some other people over for Shavuout dinner. Made eggplant parm from scratch. I had worked so hard on it, but I had salted all the eggplant slices before breading them but never rinsed the salt off. not an impressive meal

mamaleh

Post Tue, May 16 2017, 9:44 am
debsey wrote:
Every. Single. Night.

He and my DD would get along well. How old is he? Hug
Page 5 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen