Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Yom Tov Dishes & Menus
Iso first course for dairy meal

blueberrypie

Post Tue, May 16 2017, 5:22 am
On Shabbos, we have fish first course, but for our Shavuos dairy meal, I'm planning to serve salmon as part of the main meal, any ideas? Tia

byisrael

Post Tue, May 16 2017, 5:48 am
Blintzes with your favorite sauce
mozzerella or chaloumi and veggie skewers
a really nice dairy salad with nice plating (dressing on the side in a nice dish) -like this one of these;
http://www.kosher.com/recipe/1.....rette
http://www.kosher.com/recipe/9.....resh-
http://www.kosher.com/recipe/9.....fruit
http://www.kosher.com/recipe/6.....salad
http://www.kosher.com/recipe/1.....ssing

or a warm salad like this
http://www.kosher.com/recipe/4.....ssing

Lol I'm obsessed with kosher.com....

animeme

Post Tue, May 16 2017, 5:51 am
You can do a fruit soup.

tichellady

Post Tue, May 16 2017, 11:12 am
French onion soup with cheese, cheese platter with pears and beets, mini quiches, stuffed mushrooms, ravioli

ra_mom

Post Tue, May 16 2017, 11:16 am
We often start with blintzes and strawberries on Shavuos. We do fish for main too.

SixOfWands

Post Tue, May 16 2017, 11:30 am
Salad -- Arugula, beets, mandarin segments, goat cheese. Dressing of OJ, olive oil, salt, minced onion.

Tomato, basil and mozzarella on melba toast.

sky

Post Tue, May 16 2017, 12:00 pm
Blintzes here too - we top with a blueberry sauce and some sour cream.

One of my sister in laws does an ice coffee with ice cream and whip cream - to me it screams dessert - but she does small servings in a pretty cup and it looks so pretty on the table.

Dairy salad - I.e. salad topped with eggplant and parm cheese plated nicely.

tigerwife

Post Tue, May 16 2017, 12:40 pm
Lasagna roll-up or mini eggplant parmigiana
Haloumi salad

Lizzie4

Post Tue, May 16 2017, 1:56 pm
I'm obsesses with this soup:
Choice recipes from The Bais Yaakov Cookbook.
ROASTED GARLIC ZUCCHINI SOUP
Roasted Garlic Zucchini SoupFor garlic lovers everywhere! Prepare an extra head of roasted garlic. Its soft caramelized cloves are simply irresistible spread on bread as an accompaniment to this soup. Better yet, pop whole roasted cloves straight into the bowls before filling with soup
1 head of garlic
2 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for drizzling
5 leeks, sliced in half lengthwise,
cleaned from any dirt, and sliced thinly
4-5 large white onions, diced large
6 zucchini, peeled and diced large
2 quarts (8 cups) water
1/4 cup chicken soup mix
1/4 cup vegetable soup mix
1-2 tablespoons kosher salt (optional in place of soup mix)
Preheat oven to 350°F. Slice off the top of the head of garlic, just enough that the actual cloves are peeking out. Place the bulb on a piece of aluminum foil. Drizzle olive oil over the garlic and seal the foil. Place sealed garlic in baking pan, to avoid leaking, and roast for 1 hour.
While garlic is roasting, place 2 tablespoons olive oil in a 6-quart pot over medium heat. Add leeks and onions; saute until golden brown. Browning longer will create a deeper flavor. Add zucchini to the pot. Add water, chicken soup mix and vegetable soup mix, or salt. Bring to a boil and cover.
Reduce heat, and simmer on low for 45 minutes. Remove the garlic from the oven and allow to cool. Pop out cloves directly into soup. Transfer soup to a blender and puree until smooth or use an immersion blender directly into the pot. Serve hot.
If there are leftovers, when reheating the soup, heat on low flame, just until warm.
6 servings

nylon

Post Tue, May 16 2017, 3:02 pm
What's the rest of the main course? Will it be heavier/richer foods, or will they be lighter (not cream or cheese etc).

If the main course is heavy I would do a lighter first course, some type of salad, or perhaps a cold fruit soup. If you are serving it with lighter, fresher sides, then do a richer first course: some type of soup (could be a richer vegetarian soup like butternut squash, mushroom, tomato, onion), blintzes, mini quiches with a side salad.

Chayalle

Post Tue, May 16 2017, 3:35 pm
ra_mom wrote:
We often start with blintzes and strawberries on Shavuos. We do fish for main too.

That's what I do. I defrost some strawberry sorbet (made with frozen strawberries, sugar, and orange juice in the food processor) and drizzle over blintzes, with a dollop of sour cream on the side. Heaven.

Followed by soup, and main course is fish, pastas, and salad. Dessert is cheesecake.

ra_mom

Post Tue, May 16 2017, 3:40 pm
Chayalle wrote:
That's what I do. I defrost some strawberry sorbet (made with frozen strawberries, sugar, and orange juice in the food processor) and drizzle over blintzes, with a dollop of sour cream on the side. Heaven.

Followed by soup, and main course is fish, pastas, and salad. Dessert is cheesecake.

We basically do the same.
Blintzes with cut strawberries, light cream soup, main dish is either salmon or tuna steaks, a dairy pasta dish, salad and vegetable side. Cheesecake for dessert, but sometimes that dessert ends up being eaten earlier than standard dessert time. Smile

mha3484

Post Tue, May 16 2017, 4:03 pm
I like to make a spread of fancy cheeses, crackers and dips. Some times I make crostini out of a loaf of french bread.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Yom Tov Dishes & Menus