Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
Wedding dresser in lakewood

amother
Khaki

Post Tue, May 16 2017, 11:15 am
I am iyH making a wedding in Lakewood and am looking to hire a dresser for the kallah. Any recommendations appreciated. Tia.

Anon bc too many ppl here know me.

summer0808

Post Tue, May 16 2017, 11:16 am
Esther Otensosser. Look up her number she lives on Central ave.

amother
Powderblue

Post Tue, May 16 2017, 11:46 am
I've never heard this term before (when I read the subject line I thought you were talking about a piece of furniture).

What is the job description of "wedding dresser"?

amother
Seashell

Post Tue, May 16 2017, 11:48 am
Faige Tress from decorative edge does this. She is amazing and has lots of experience with what kallahs and their families need.

pesek zman

Post Tue, May 16 2017, 12:12 pm
amother wrote:
I've never heard this term before (when I read the subject line I thought you were talking about a piece of furniture).

Same here.

sgr

Post Tue, May 16 2017, 12:18 pm
My sister in law Peshy Waxman is a wedding dresser she lives in Lakewood
+1 (908) 216-4901

DVOM

Post Tue, May 16 2017, 12:33 pm
amother wrote:

Yeh, what in the world is a wedding dresser?

pesek zman

Post Tue, May 16 2017, 12:43 pm
DVOM wrote:
Yeh, what in the world is a wedding dresser?

I googled it and am only finding wedding dresses. I imagine it's someone who helps the bride put on her dress, but how is that a job? And why would someone hire one (for $$) as opposed to helping the bride put on her dress for free?

DVOM

Post Tue, May 16 2017, 12:53 pm
pesek zman wrote:
I googled it and am only finding wedding dresses. I imagine it's someone who helps the bride put on her dress, but how is that a job? And why would someone hire one (for $$) as opposed to helping the bride put on her dress for free?

This is a real mystery! My mom helped me zip up my wedding dress... it takes all of a minute. This cant be the job description! Can anyone tell us what a wedding dresser does???

mommyla

Post Tue, May 16 2017, 12:56 pm
Very Happy I know someone who used a wedding dresser. Not a very difficult job description. I think she just helps put the kallah (and possibly family members) in her dress, headpiece, veil etc. and arranges it to look "just right" (not sure why that's difficult), and maybe sticks around to remove or "bustle" the train if necessary.

cnc

Post Tue, May 16 2017, 1:00 pm
It is basically an assistant to help the bridal party with anything that can go wrong or just to be an extra hand.
I never understood the point until I met a woman that married off her oldest of ten girls and hired a wedding dresser.
The dresser assisted her with getting everyone ready when they were all in the hall, if buttons pop, the dresser sews it on. Basically someone with a clear head to deal with all the little "emergencies" that crop up.
I was fortunate enough to have family members take this job upon themselves at my wedding. During my makeup application, one of my contact lenses tore- my relative ran to track down a new pair. At my brother's wedding, the ring was temporarily misplaced, my mother who was busy enough as it is ,was trying to track it down. A wedding dresser would have dealt with it.
Is it necessary? Certainly not. For those that can afford it, it's a nice convenience.

Chayalle

Post Tue, May 16 2017, 2:32 pm
amother wrote:
Faige Tress from decorative edge does this. She is amazing and has lots of experience with what kallahs and their families need.

I didn't know she does this, but I'd second this recommendation. I know Faige well, and not only is she super-talented, but she's also really pleasant and nice to have around.

zaq

Post Tue, May 16 2017, 2:49 pm
I believe that in the old days this was something the maid of honor did. Or the bride's sister, cousin or aunt.

MagentaYenta

Post Tue, May 16 2017, 2:53 pm
zaq wrote:
I believe that in the old days this was something the maid of honor did. Or the bride's sister, cousin or aunt.

In our family its sisters, aunts, cousins, family members.

Chayalle

Post Wed, May 17 2017, 10:25 am
zaq wrote:

some people still do that these days Smile but hey, not everyone has someone available. Everyone's needs are different......

amother
Orange

Post Wed, May 17 2017, 10:50 am
I've never heard of a wedding dresser before, but I suppose it makes a certain amount of sense if there is no one else to calmly fulfill that function.

When I got married, two of my mother's very close friends were in aveilus. They couldn't come to the wedding proper but they drove us to the hall and helped us get ready. They took lots of pictures and had the film developed and in an album by the time my parents got home. We're obviously talking about a few years ago before digital pictures and Facebook were popular.

I performed the same function when my best friend got married and then again when her younger sister did. They had plenty of female relatives, but they were more of the anxious sort and needed someone to keep them calm.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics