Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training
TT over shabbos/y"t/shabbos-am I crazy?

amother
Denim

Post Thu, May 18 2017, 11:03 am
So, DD is nearly 3 and needs to be toilet trained. Normally I train my kids at around 2 1/2 but I had a baby right around that time so I decided to wait. I'm thinking of training her over memorial day weekend/shavuos since she'll be home basically all week. I would start on Shabbos morning then we'd be home Sunday and Monday. She's home Tuesday, but I have work so DH would be home with her, Wednesday and Thursday are Y"T, Friday she would only have 1/2 a day at school then Shabbos and Sunday at home again. If I don't do it now it would have to wait until the end of August when I am next off and she'll be over 3 already. I'm just very worried about training over so many no laundry days! Has anyone trained over Y"T before. Please reassure me that I'm not crazy to attempt this. Any advice on how I can make things easier (since I won't be able to wash dirty laundry right away if there are multiple accidents), support, etc. is welcome.

sky

Post Thu, May 18 2017, 12:38 pm
I think its a great idea. Just make sure you have lots and lots of extra underwear and towels for cleaning.
I did most of my kids over shabbos.
I find the older the child the faster and easier it goes anyways - kids who were 3 or older were toilet trained in almost a day because they just got it - so hopefully it will be a dry week.

mha3484

Post Thu, May 18 2017, 12:43 pm
I would do it as long as I didn't have carpet. Otherwise put sheets down so if she pees on the floor it wont smell. I did my oldest on shiva asar b tamuz. Summer was such an easy time for it since they dont wear lots of layers of clothing.

amother
Denim

Post Thu, May 18 2017, 1:27 pm
sky wrote:
I think its a great idea. Just make sure you have lots and lots of extra underwear and towels for cleaning.
I did most of my kids over shabbos.
I find the older the child the faster and easier it goes anyways - kids who were 3 or older were toilet trained in almost a day because they just got it - so hopefully it will be a dry week.

We have lots of underwear and hopefully enough towels. Usually I like to clean with paper towels but you're right that on shabbos towels will be easier. It's just that the thought of having them sit for 2 days iks me out. My first 3 kids I did over Thanksgiving weekend so Shabbos was already the 3rd day. My first 2, who were nearly 3 when trained, went really fast. My 3rd, who was just 2 1/2 took longer. But they had all already shown a lot of interest in using the toilet and had even peed numerous times on the toilet before being officially trained. This one though shows no interest. When I talk to her about it or try to get her to sit on the toilet she doesn't want to, which is why I'm a little worried. Hopefully when we simply put her in underwear she'll realize that she doesn't have any choice. I'm also a little worried about being stuck inside with all the kids for so many days. I feel if she's being trained we can't really go out anywhere and the kids are going to drive each other, and me, crazy!

amother
Denim

Post Thu, May 18 2017, 1:29 pm
mha3484 wrote:
I would do it as long as I didn't have carpet. Otherwise put sheets down so if she pees on the floor it wont smell. I did my oldest on shiva asar b tamuz. Summer was such an easy time for it since they dont wear lots of layers of clothing.

Nope, B"H no carpet. All hardwood/tiled floors except for a runner on the staircase. And I figured that by then it should be warm enough that I can just have her wear dresses and we'll put crocs on her with no socks. This will help minimize the amount of dirty laundry in case of accidents.

seeker

Post Thu, May 18 2017, 1:32 pm
You can do as much laundry as you need for a small child like that.
But I do think it's a good idea to try while you're all home. Worst case scenario it won't work, you'll shelve it for a while, and start fresh in a couple of months.

sky

Post Thu, May 18 2017, 1:33 pm
Tear 2 rolls of paper towels before. Give the job to one of your kids.
This way you can just wipe and toss and not worry about the towels.

gibberish

Post Thu, May 18 2017, 1:37 pm
I'm seriously considering toilet training my son during that time as well. It's a great stretch of days when everyone is home.

amother
Denim

Post Thu, May 18 2017, 2:05 pm
gibberish wrote:
I'm seriously considering toilet training my son during that time as well. It's a great stretch of days when everyone is home.

I know, that's why I'm doing it then. I'm just worried/feel bad for my other kids who are going to be stuck inside all day for so many days. I'll just have to make sure I make them playdates so they can get out for a bit. Normally, over shabbos or y"t when the weather is nice we would spend several hours a day at the park.

Goldie613

Post Thu, May 18 2017, 2:20 pm
amother wrote:
We have lots of underwear and hopefully enough towels. Usually I like to clean with paper towels but you're right that on shabbos towels will be easier. It's just that the thought of having them sit for 2 days iks me out. My first 3 kids I did over Thanksgiving weekend so Shabbos was already the 3rd day. My first 2, who were nearly 3 when trained, went really fast. My 3rd, who was just 2 1/2 took longer. But they had all already shown a lot of interest in using the toilet and had even peed numerous times on the toilet before being officially trained. This one though shows no interest. When I talk to her about it or try to get her to sit on the toilet she doesn't want to, which is why I'm a little worried. Hopefully when we simply put her in underwear she'll realize that she doesn't have any choice. I'm also a little worried about being stuck inside with all the kids for so many days. I feel if she's being trained we can't really go out anywhere and the kids are going to drive each other, and me, crazy!

You can go places - just make sure it's close to home or near a bathroom. A relative or friend's place might be an option, or you can just have the kids bring their friends over. Another option might be to have your husband take some of the kids out (assuming your 3 year old won't be upset at not going). Monday or erev Yom Tov/erev Shabbos can be a time for a quick trip out, if there's a nearby store or park that you are willing to chance going to. Maybe you can get those plastic underwear covers (if they still make them) to help protect whatever areas you're in when you are not home.

Re her not being comfortable with the toilet - what about one of those kid videos about toilet training? If she watches it this week, maybe by next week it won't be such a scary concept. Another possibility is to use a potty on the floor or a training seat on top of the toilet. One of my kids used that a lot, and I think it made the child feel safer (as in, they didn't feel like they were going to fall in because they couldn't fall in with the seat on top of the toilet).

We used a style like this (ok, different pattern, but same concept) =
http://www.toysrus.com/buy/tra.....32476

but this looks pretty interesting, too = http://www.toysrus.com/buy/tra.....88366

Has she ever watched your other kids use the toilet? I know that sounds awful - at least it always did to me - but they say it really helps some kids to learn faster.

Good luck

sky

Post Thu, May 18 2017, 3:39 pm
Do you have a yard - I would take a toilet training child outside in the yard for sure and even to the park once Friday, shabbos, Sunday passed. at that point he should be less likely to have an accident and if he does all you lose is an outfit.

ra_mom

Post Thu, May 18 2017, 3:48 pm
I did it because I had no choice. You just have to be really prepared. And expect it to take longer than you anticipated. Good luck!

amother
Denim

Post Fri, May 19 2017, 1:51 pm
Goldie613 wrote:
You can go places - just make sure it's close to home or near a bathroom. A relative or friend's place might be an option, or you can just have the kids bring their friends over. Another option might be to have your husband take some of the kids out (assuming your 3 year old won't be upset at not going). Monday or erev Yom Tov/erev Shabbos can be a time for a quick trip out, if there's a nearby store or park that you are willing to chance going to. Maybe you can get those plastic underwear covers (if they still make them) to help protect whatever areas you're in when you are not home.

Re her not being comfortable with the toilet - what about one of those kid videos about toilet training? If she watches it this week, maybe by next week it won't be such a scary concept. Another possibility is to use a potty on the floor or a training seat on top of the toilet. One of my kids used that a lot, and I think it made the child feel safer (as in, they didn't feel like they were going to fall in because they couldn't fall in with the seat on top of the toilet).

We used a style like this (ok, different pattern, but same concept) =
http://www.toysrus.com/buy/tra.....32476

but this looks pretty interesting, too = http://www.toysrus.com/buy/tra.....88366

Has she ever watched your other kids use the toilet? I know that sounds awful - at least it always did to me - but they say it really helps some kids to learn faster.

Good luck

Thank you for all your suggestions. Unfortunately no family nearby. But anyway I'm not worried about if we are in a location with a bathroom, like at someone elses home. It would be more if we would go out to the park, which is what we normally do. But the park is a good 10 minute walk away. So even if I rounded everyone up as soon as she said she needed to go we're still talking 15+ minutes till we got home, way too long for a newly trained child to wait. We do have a teeny tiny concrete space behind the house where the kids can play. There's just not much to do there but it's going to have to suffice for the week.
RE her comfort on the toilet, she has no problem sitting on it she's just not so interested. I refuse to use a potty seat (no offense to those that do use them) but I think they're gross. I have one of those rings you put on the toilet seat to make it smaller so kids feel safer sitting on it and not like they're about to fall in.
She has definitely watched my other kids use the bathroom. Using the bathroom in my house is practically a family activity embarrassed my older kids have no shame. Especially my 5 year old. I'm constantly reminding her that she's too big to leave the door open now.
It normally wouldn't be a big deal it's just that with everyone home for so many days in a row I know everyone is going to get antsy. I know we'll get through it but I've just never trained over so many non-weekday days. Hopefully since she is on the older side she'll get the hang of it pretty quickly. I guess I'm venting more than anything else. I figure if I convince myself it will be awful than it can't end up being any worse that what I'm expecting. And if it turns out not to be so bad I'll be happy.

ra_mom

Post Fri, May 19 2017, 1:57 pm
We have this, which we bought after toilet training our first. We stayed inside for the training process. But I figured I'd post this anyway in case it helps you. Purchase the disposable bags separately. We used it for emergencies when we were out. I think there were 2 instances where we had to use this in a discreet area at a park. If she's wearing a little skirt the process can be pretty discreet but maybe not for a new trainee?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d.....psc=1

amother
Denim

Post Fri, May 19 2017, 2:17 pm
ra_mom wrote:
We have this, which we bought after toilet training our first. We stayed inside for the training process. But I figured I'd post this anyway in case it helps you. Purchase the disposable bags separately. We used it for emergencies when we were out. I think there were 2 instances where we had to use this in a discreet area at a park. If she's wearing a little skirt the process can be pretty discreet but maybe not for a new trainee?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d.....psc=1

Thanks for posting the link. I've actually seen that before (saw someone using it at a park a few years ago) and think it's a cool concept (but a little gross IYKWIM). I actually considered buying it a few years ago for the car when we had to travel OOT to visit family right after my last one was trained but didn't. Since you have it what's your opinion on it? Think it's worth having or just deal with being stuck at home a few days (and make playdates for older kids so they get out for a bit)? I'm also kind of hoping that by y"t she'll be able to go out for a little bit (it will be day 5 of training). I guess I'm hoping for the best but planning for the worst.

ra_mom

Post Fri, May 19 2017, 2:27 pm
amother wrote:
Thanks for posting the link. I've actually seen that before (saw someone using it at a park a few years ago) and think it's a cool concept (but a little gross IYKWIM). I actually considered buying it a few years ago for the car when we had to travel OOT to visit family right after my last one was trained but didn't. Since you have it what's your opinion on it? Think it's worth having or just deal with being stuck at home a few days (and make playdates for older kids so they get out for a bit)? I'm also kind of hoping that by y"t she'll be able to go out for a little bit (it will be day 5 of training). I guess I'm hoping for the best but planning for the worst.

It is absolutely worth having. We took it with us everywhere.

amother
Denim

Post Fri, May 19 2017, 2:45 pm
ra_mom wrote:
It is absolutely worth having. We took it with us everywhere.

Thanks for letting me know. Maybe I'll buy it but leave it closed in the package unless we end up needing it. This way if I don't use it I can return it.

Miri7

Post Fri, May 19 2017, 4:39 pm
amother wrote:
Thank you for all your suggestions. Unfortunately no family nearby. But anyway I'm not worried about if we are in a location with a bathroom, like at someone elses home. It would be more if we would go out to the park, which is what we normally do. But the park is a good 10 minute walk away. So even if I rounded everyone up as soon as she said she needed to go we're still talking 15+ minutes till we got home, way too long for a newly trained child to wait. We do have a teeny tiny concrete space behind the house where the kids can play. There's just not much to do there but it's going to have to suffice for the week.
RE her comfort on the toilet, she has no problem sitting on it she's just not so interested. I refuse to use a potty seat (no offense to those that do use them) but I think they're gross. I have one of those rings you put on the toilet seat to make it smaller so kids feel safer sitting on it and not like they're about to fall in.
She has definitely watched my other kids use the bathroom. Using the bathroom in my house is practically a family activity embarrassed my older kids have no shame. Especially my 5 year old. I'm constantly reminding her that she's too big to leave the door open now.
It normally wouldn't be a big deal it's just that with everyone home for so many days in a row I know everyone is going to get antsy. I know we'll get through it but I've just never trained over so many non-weekday days. Hopefully since she is on the older side she'll get the hang of it pretty quickly. I guess I'm venting more than anything else. I figure if I convince myself it will be awful than it can't end up being any worse that what I'm expecting. And if it turns out not to be so bad I'll be happy.

Is there a park nearby with a toilet?

Also - don't feel bad about her seeing older kids use the bathroom. I think my youngest DD was really motivated because she wanted to be like her big sisters. Watching and copying is how kids learn.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Fri, May 19 2017, 6:32 pm
Am I the only one? I've taken a toilet training girl out for a walk and even to a (very close by, and not very populated) park wearing only a dress and water-proof sandals
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training