Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Student loans and car payment?

amother
Chartreuse

Post Wed, May 17 2017, 1:13 pm
We're considering aliyah, but we have some payments that will still be due. We bought a van about 2 years ago and we're still paying for it monthly (we need to pay for another 3 years). I'm not sure if we'll be actually bringing the van to Israel, but if we do (and if we move before the 3 years) what happens with the car payment? should we just wait 3 more years to pay for the car and then move? Also, my husband still pays student loans, what happens when we move to Israel? we have to pay for the loans while we're living in Israel?

sprayonlove

Post Wed, May 17 2017, 1:23 pm
Yes, I believe you will still have to pay student loans even if you live in Israel. Is it an option to sell the car and pay off the loan before you leave?

finprof

Post Wed, May 17 2017, 1:45 pm
Moving doesn't free you of your obligations to pay your loans

grace413

Post Wed, May 17 2017, 3:04 pm
Sell the car and use proceeds to pay off car loan. Not worthwhile to bring car even if it's possible which it frequently isn't.

Student loans must be repaid. In addition to basic honesty you will destroy any credit you have in the states, won't be allowed to have a bank account, etc.

Check and find out about the best repayment terms for the student loans. Knowing exactly how much/how long you pay will help you decide if it's feasible.

watergirl

Post Wed, May 17 2017, 3:13 pm
Have you opened a file with Nefesh B Nefesh? They usually tell you to pay loans off before aliyah. Also, cars are extremely expensive to bring to Israel. You get a tax break but its still $$. Like, thousands.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Thu, May 18 2017, 2:30 pm
watergirl wrote:
Have you opened a file with Nefesh B Nefesh? They usually tell you to pay loans off before aliyah. Also, cars are extremely expensive to bring to Israel. You get a tax break but its still $$. Like, thousands.

I haven't opened a file with them yet. It won't be possible to pay off the student loans before we leave because we pay the minimum amount and it would take more years... we don't have enough money to pay it all and finish with it quicker. I'm not 100% sure what we'd do with the car yet, but my family lives in Israel and they told me there's a big tax for us to bring the car, but on the other hand, it would be better than buying a car in Israel.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions