Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Proper swimming etiquette
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

mddm

Post Thu, May 18 2017, 6:03 pm
seeker wrote:
What's a frum development pool?
When I go swimming with a group of frum women and girls (we band together to rent out a pool for women only once in a while) everyone tries to change as discreetly as possible. Of course things are going to show here and there but nobody's parading around with nothing or little on.

Thank you for the support! There is a development of only frum people that has a swimming pool in the developmentā€¦

cozyblanket

Post Thu, May 18 2017, 6:03 pm
vicki wrote:
As a matter of fact it is considered ill-mannered to change in the shower rooms or bathrooms. However, more than 50% - probably more than 80% - of the women I see do change in the private shower rooms or bathrooms.
There are occasional arguments from the women waiting to shower or use the bathrooms for their intended purpose.

I am with OP. I know it is common and done, but I just don't get it. As frum women, we don't just do things the way the rest of the world does. I go to a pool with separate hours for men and women, but the locker room has anyone in it, not just frum people. I always wonder why women strip in front of others. I always use a bathroom stall. I was never told it was ill-mannered, nor did it ever occur to me. But the place I go to isn't packed so there is never a line. There are always many empty stalls. Regardless, I would change in privacy. It is odd that being modest is considered ill-mannered; but it if is, there is nothing I can do about it. I also get dressed in the shower stall after I am done showering. There is an area in the stall just for that. I think they expect people to change there.

mddm

Post Thu, May 18 2017, 6:26 pm
tichellady wrote:
Nudity is normal in locker rooms.

Would you bring your teenage daughter to such an environment?

cozyblanket

Post Thu, May 18 2017, 6:33 pm
mddm wrote:

Exactly!

shyshira

Post Thu, May 18 2017, 6:37 pm
mddm wrote:

I think a teenager knows that women have bodies under their clothes.

What is the harm? That she might learn that someday her boobs might sag?

mddm

Post Thu, May 18 2017, 6:41 pm
shyshira wrote:
I think a teenager knows that women have bodies under their clothes.

What is the harm? That she might learn that someday her boobs might sag?

I don't agree, but would you let your daughter change with you... going with the same logic?

shyshira

Post Thu, May 18 2017, 6:46 pm
mddm wrote:
I don't agree, but would you let your daughter change with you... going with the same logic?

I would probably turn my back to my daughter. Naked strangers is different than naked ima.

I see it's bothering you. I hope you find a 'work around' that's sutible so that you can enjoy the pool.

yksraya

Post Thu, May 18 2017, 6:50 pm
shyshira wrote:
I would probably turn my back to my daughter. Naked strangers is different than naked ima.

I see it's bothering you. I hope you find a 'work around' that's sutible so that you can enjoy the pool.

Just curious: would your DD also turn her back to you?
Rolling Laughter

Sorry, couldn't help it.

shyshira

Post Thu, May 18 2017, 6:57 pm
yksraya wrote:
Just curious: would your DD also turn her back to you?
Rolling Laughter

Sorry, couldn't help it.

Probably. Not sure why that's funny. We're not likely getting dressed in unison, and we might be sharing a gym bag that's situated between us on a bench.

tichellady

Post Thu, May 18 2017, 6:58 pm
Op, you are entitled to feel how you feel. I wasn't saying you are wrong for feeling uncomfortable, I was just saying that locker rooms are a place where it's expected for people to undress publicly.

I'm laughing at the question of whether I would bring my teenage daughter there. Yes, this wouldn't bother me. I grew up in a house with very little privacy so I have a different sense of these things than other people. Personally, I try to be discreet when changing in public and not to stare at others. I think it's a good thing to teach a teen who will at some point probably encounter this in her adult life.

mddm

Post Thu, May 18 2017, 7:05 pm
tichellady wrote:
I'm laughing at the question of whether I would bring my teenage daughter there. Yes, this wouldn't bother me. I grew up in a house with very little privacy so I have a different sense of these things than other people..

I understand, so much of this is what we are used to. Do you care to elaborate as to what you mean "you grew up with very little privacy"?

mddm

Post Thu, May 18 2017, 7:22 pm
shyshira wrote:
Naked strangers is different than naked ima..

Is that the general rule that people follow... no naked ima?

shyshira

Post Thu, May 18 2017, 7:38 pm
mddm wrote:

There isn't a general rule.

MagentaYenta

Post Thu, May 18 2017, 7:40 pm
mddm wrote:

Mileage will always vary.

mddm

Post Thu, May 18 2017, 7:41 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:
Mileage will always vary.

??

MagentaYenta

Post Thu, May 18 2017, 7:46 pm
mddm wrote:
??

People are individuals. There are no hard and fast rules. Some women are not impacted by the normalcy of naked bodies of women in locker rooms. Others are.

I went to public school and public university and played sports. I'm not the least bit distressed by woman changing clothes in a locker room. Nor am I bothered by the various states of undress in a locker room. Other women are.

ttbtbm

Post Thu, May 18 2017, 7:52 pm
[quote="tichellady]. I think it's a good thing to teach a teen who will at some point probably encounter this in her adult life.[/quote]

Agree. Especially because teens today don't get this exposure from Loheman's dressing rooms!

STMommy

Post Thu, May 18 2017, 7:52 pm
Dunno. I found the Loehmanns dressing room pretty icky growing up!

STMommy

Post Thu, May 18 2017, 7:53 pm
OMG ttbtbm we had the same thought at the same time - hilarious.

ttbtbm

Post Thu, May 18 2017, 7:56 pm
STMommy wrote:
OMG ttbtbm we had the same thought at the same time - hilarious.

Very Happy
Page 2 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette