Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Cheaper lifestyle- brooklyn or 5towns area

amother
Forestgreen

Post Thu, May 18 2017, 11:47 pm
I live in Brooklyn in the teens and am considering moving to the 5 towns area. I would end up in bayswater or inwood where 800k can get me than the 3bdrm row house it can get me in brooklyn. I will also need a second car. In general will life cost more less or same as brooklyn and pleasen explain why.

amother
Silver

Post Fri, May 19 2017, 1:08 am
amother wrote:
I live in Brooklyn in the teens and am considering moving to the 5 towns area. I would end up in bayswater or inwood where 800k can get me than the 3bdrm row house it can get me in brooklyn. I will also need a second car. In general will life cost more less or same as brooklyn and pleasen explain why.

Groceries, clothing (in frum stores) are more in the 5 Towns area than in Brooklyn. I think tuition is generally more too, but depends on the school.

amother
Indigo

Post Fri, May 19 2017, 8:41 am
When I grew up in Far Rockaway in the early 90's, tuition was more than Brooklyn and you needed 2 cars, but we didn't have the same "keeping up with the Jones" attitude that there was in Brooklyn. People lived much more simply so life was cheaper than in Brooklyn.

We used to go to Brooklyn twice a year to buy our shabbos clothing before each season.

amother
Turquoise

Post Fri, May 19 2017, 8:56 am
5 towns is probably more. Housing is cheaper but the property tax is very high which adds on to your mortgage. Food, clothing is probably about the same. But even accessories stores can be much higher than bklyn. People are wealthier there so a kiddush or a bar mitzvah will have different standards. Tuitions are definitely higher, by a lot but I did hear schools work with u.

amother
Bronze

Post Fri, May 19 2017, 8:57 am
I imagine the houses in Bayswater are cheaper but the cost of tuition ,clothing is more or less higher.

gumby

Post Fri, May 19 2017, 9:02 am
Tuitions and food are much higher in the five towns

amother
Silver

Post Fri, May 19 2017, 9:17 am
amother wrote:
5 towns is probably more. Housing is cheaper but the property tax is very high which adds on to your mortgage. Food, clothing is probably about the same. But even accessories stores can be much higher than bklyn. People are wealthier there so a kiddush or a bar mitzvah will have different standards. Tuitions are definitely higher, by a lot but I did hear schools work with u.

Food is definitely not the same. Considerably more in 5 Towns.

amother
Powderblue

Post Fri, May 19 2017, 9:29 am
Food is definitely higher because the Vaad is a racket and the supermarkets engage in disgusting price gouging. Housing is somewhat cheaper, but between property taxes and needing at least one car, possibly two, it probably ends up balancing out. And the 5 Towns tends to be very fancy and keep-up-with-the-Jones mentality. Even if you don't necessarily care, your kids very well might.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics