Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
How many different cereal boxes do you have at one time?
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Apricot

Post Thu, May 18 2017, 6:01 pm
amother wrote:
None. We eat real food.

Ditto. Cereal is an awful way to start the day. Toxic, carcinogenic ingredients.

amother
Firebrick

Post Thu, May 18 2017, 8:26 pm
amother wrote:
Ditto. Cereal is an awful way to start the day. Toxic, carcinogenic ingredients.

Care to elaborate?

MagentaYenta

Post Thu, May 18 2017, 8:37 pm
amother wrote:
None. We eat real food.

Cereal has little nutritional value, and the cereals people are calling healthy here, like rice crispies and cornflakes - um... what's healthy about that?

I have to agree, my kids didn't get cereal in the box. It was oatmeal, kasha, or farina if you wanted cereal. Most of my crew was assembling their own breakfasts by the age of 5, rice with peas, and egg and some nutritional yeast, cheese on toast and fruit, a granola parfait, left overs from dinner. (Leftover soup was a big favorite.) For many years we had a mature avocado tree in the yard so avocados were another breakfast hit.

IRRC boxed cereals are pretty spendy. I don't mind spendy food if it is nutritionally dense,but cereal isn't.

Different strokes for different folks.

Miri7

Post Thu, May 18 2017, 9:11 pm
One weekday (less sugary) and two Shabbat (more sugary) cereals.

The weekday cereal typically goes stale before it's used up.

Shabbat cereals are eaten faster, though I'm pretty good about "forgetting" to re-stock for 2-3 weeks, so we end up having it only about 1/3 or 1/2 the time. (DH does sometimes eat a bowl of shabbat cereal at night after kids are asleep).

tigerwife

Post Thu, May 18 2017, 9:33 pm
Usually just a box of cheerios that lasts a nice while since just my toddler eats it. When I buy something like Reese's Puffs, I can finish the box myself in like three days 😳.

amother
Lime

Post Thu, May 18 2017, 10:34 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:
I have to agree, my kids didn't get cereal in the box. It was oatmeal, kasha, or farina if you wanted cereal. Most of my crew was assembling their own breakfasts by the age of 5, rice with peas, and egg and some nutritional yeast, cheese on toast and fruit, a granola parfait, left overs from dinner. (Leftover soup was a big favorite.) For many years we had a mature avocado tree in the yard so avocados were another breakfast hit.

IRRC boxed cereals are pretty spendy. I don't mind spendy food if it is nutritionally dense,but cereal isn't.

Different strokes for different folks.

I mentioned upthread that I have 7 boxes open - because we receive WIC! I can't talk for anyone else but I can tell you that I get 3 checks for 36 oz of cereal monthly - that's about 6-9 boxes every month!! Im sure I'm not the only one buying it because I get it from WIC who would not buy it otherwise

amother
Apricot

Post Thu, May 18 2017, 10:37 pm
amother wrote:
Care to elaborate?

Just google it.

nylon

Post Thu, May 18 2017, 11:14 pm
lucky14 wrote:
Is (are) weetabix good? I've been looking for more low-sugar cereals and noticed them on the shelf.

They are definitely a healthier cereal since they are 100% whole wheat. The flavor is like shredded wheat, but the texture is not. If you add milk it turns into a mush (some people eat them dry instead and put yogurt or the like on). It's pretty filling unlike a lot of cereals. It's a good base for adding other things like fruits or nuts. My husband grew up on them in England.

shnitzel

Post Fri, May 19 2017, 12:48 am
4 or 5. We don't eat cereal for breakfast except for my toddler who needs breakfast within moments of waking up at 6:15 but he eats a solid breakfast an hour later. We have Rice Krispies for rice Krispy squares, corn flakes for schnitzel and shreddies/oat squares/cheerios as a snack. Also granola for yogurt parfaits.

None of them taste imaginary to me.

LittleDucky

Post Fri, May 19 2017, 12:59 am
1-2. All on the healthier side (no pure sugary cereal). I try to get whole grain ones like Quaker Oats, Cheerios(not the chocolate or sugary flavored ones).
We go through a lot as I have little kids who eat it for breakfast, might snack on it too. And I eat it. When nursing with little ones running around I need something quick to replenish my stores!

etky

Post Fri, May 19 2017, 1:56 am
I'm certainly not going to argue that sugary cereal is a health food - it's obviously a compromise solution somewhere along the spectrum between real and ideal.
However, the fact that most are fortified with vitamins and minerals and are usually consumed along with milk, and that some even have significant fiber does promotes them somewhat, in my eyes, from candy status.
Add to this the unbeatable speed, convenience and long shelf life and the fact that kids are actually willing to eat it in the morning, well- it's got to be better than some other choices that kids are known to want, like white bread with butter or jam.
If an eye is kept on the overall nutritional makeup of the child's diet throughout the rest of the day and sugary snacks are checked and limited, I don't see why allowing it davka in the morning, in the form of fortified breakfast cereal, is such a crime.
Of course the non sugary types are much preferable and usually based even more on whole grains. I don't see why a bowl of cold Weetabix or other high fiber, low sugar cereal is so different than a bowl of hot oatmeal or farina.

Amelia Bedelia

Post Fri, May 19 2017, 2:08 am
What's the difference between a sugary cereal and junk cereal? What's an example of each?

rainbow dash

Post Fri, May 19 2017, 2:26 am
Right now 11

amother
Emerald

Post Fri, May 19 2017, 11:05 am
I am from England so I noticed the weetabix question. Weetabix is the only weekday cereal we eat. It is the only proper healthy cereal. Even "healthy" cereals like bran flakes are loaded with sugar.
I did a lot of research into healthy cereals and I was shocked, SHOCKED to discover how sugary "healthy" cereals are.
Thankfully we have weetabix here because it is truly healthy cereal and I would not cope with making real food in the mornings. I eat it as part if a healthy, low carb diet. Its the only carb I eat all day.
Plus, I love it! Eat it with milk or spread it with marmite - delicious!
On shabbos we eat whatever cereals my kids want.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen