Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels
Covering hair while sleeping
Previous  1  2  3

yksraya

Post Thu, May 18 2017, 4:08 pm
To those who say if it's not their hashkafa, it must be chumra and not halacha:

In all generations, in all times, halacha was interpretted differently by different ravs/gadolim. Thus everyone followed what their rav held by. As we see in the machlokes of hillel and shamay etc. Also as we know, the divide between ashkenazim and sephardim, where both held differently regarding "halachos" thus the divide...

tichellady

Post Thu, May 18 2017, 7:05 pm
smile12345 wrote:
I just want to give a shout out to you. I always notice that even though you obviously don't always agree with everyone's views, you are always very respectful of others lifestyles.

Thanks ☺

skee

Post Thu, May 18 2017, 7:14 pm
In theory I do, but I still have not figured out how to keep something on my head while I am sleeping. I tried several different coverings when I was first married but none stayed on my head, and after awhile I sort of gave up. I still usually go to sleep with something on my head, but it is always off by the morning. How do those of you who cover hair while sleeping do it?

eschaya

Post Thu, May 18 2017, 7:45 pm
Nope.

shabbatiscoming

Post Fri, May 19 2017, 12:30 am
Seas wrote:
According to the Zohar hair should always be covered, and that's the basis for the Chassidish way of life of never walking around with uncovered hair.

When something is brought in Zohar but not in halacha there are varying opinions as to whether one is obligated to keep said thing.

However, even according to the opinions that one doesn't have to keep those chumros, there is no basis to claim that it's not at the very least praiseworthy. After all, this is what the Zohar writes.
Not everyone holds by the zohar and that is why it is not praiseworthy according to everyone to add on chumrot.

CEF

Post Fri, May 19 2017, 1:02 am
I thought that a minhag hamakom can become halacha, so actually for certain groups (particular chassidic sects?) women (and men, for that matter?) covering their hair at night may indeed have become a halacha for them.

I do not cover my hair in the home unless someone other than my husband and children is in the house.

slushiemom

Post Fri, May 19 2017, 1:27 am
heidi wrote:
Before we got married we sat with a rav who asked DH straight out-- does perfume make you h#$ny (obviously more delicately than that!)? How about singing etc. And that's how we established what we should or shouldn't do when I was niddah. My hair never even came up. I think people need to be careful when they say it is praiseworthy to cover hair at night or when niddah-- it might just be a completely ridiculous chumrah . . .

This is one of the most disturbing things I've ever read on this site. A couple sits with another man and details to him what makes the guy turned on about his wife?!?! I can't think of anything LESS modest than that.

moonstone

Post Fri, May 19 2017, 1:29 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
No, it is not always praiseworthy to take on chumrot. And that is MY hashkafa.

Absolutely, Shabbat. Praiseworthy to take on chumrot that someone (probably a man, certainly not Gd) decided one day to do? To me, that's the opposite of praiseworthy.

heidi

Post Fri, May 19 2017, 3:04 am
slushiemom wrote:
This is one of the most disturbing things I've ever read on this site. A couple sits with another man and details to him what makes the guy turned on about his wife?!?! I can't think of anything LESS modest than that.

You are totally right. Better to take on alot of nonsensical chumrot than to know the actual halacha and follow it accordingly.

shoshana2

Post Fri, May 19 2017, 4:01 am
Yes I cover

slushiemom

Post Fri, May 19 2017, 4:11 am
heidi wrote:
You are totally right. Better to take on alot of nonsensical chumrot than to know the actual halacha and follow it accordingly.

I'm not a fan of chumrot at all. Better to actually learn halacha and then discuss between you and your partner what causes arousal during nidda to determine your personal boundries than to discuss it with a 3rd party who happens to be a man. It sounds super pervy and gross.

Brownies

Post Fri, May 19 2017, 5:05 am
CEF wrote:
I thought that a minhag hamakom can become halacha, so actually for certain groups (particular chassidic sects?) women (and men, for that matter?) covering their hair at night may indeed have become a halacha for them..

I don't see how something done in the privacy of one's own home, let alone one's own bedroom at night, can become minhag hamakom. I thought minhag hamakom in terms of tznius applies more to things like whether or not lower legs and feet, for example, need to be covered in public.

Seas

Post Fri, May 19 2017, 5:30 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
Not everyone holds by the zohar and that is why it is not praiseworthy according to everyone to add on chumrot.

What on earth does that mean that not everyone holds by the Zohar? That you don't keep all that it says there if it isn't also brought down in halacha?

Fine, but it still says in the Zohar and as such it is something Hashem would like from you - even if He hasn't made it obligatory. To me that is the definition of praiseworthy.

Seas

Post Fri, May 19 2017, 5:32 am
slushiemom wrote:

And outright against halacha, as dinim of tznius aren't decided on an individual level at one given time, but by broadstroke halachic definitions.

Seas

Post Fri, May 19 2017, 5:36 am
moonstone wrote:
Absolutely, Shabbat. Praiseworthy to take on chumrot that someone (probably a man, certainly not Gd) decided one day to do? To me, that's the opposite of praiseworthy.

One of the tenets of our religion is to believe in the absolute truth of both Torah Shebichsav and Torah Shebal Peh (Written and Oral Torah). Both were decided by Hashem.

allcuteonesrtak

Post Fri, May 19 2017, 5:51 am
slushiemom wrote:
I'm not a fan of chumrot at all. Better to actually learn halacha and then discuss between you and your partner what causes arousal during nidda to determine your personal boundaries

I agree that couples should learn halacha and discuss between what causes arousal during nidda to determine your personal boundaries

Ruchel

Post Sun, May 21 2017, 12:42 am
No because there are no strangers
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels