Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Social work program through TTI /Roberts Wesleyan College
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Oak

Post Fri, May 19 2017, 9:54 am
How many years is this program? I went for 3 years, going 3-4 days a week and a number of hours a day. For every hour of class a week there were 2 hours of expected work. Plus internships. That is pretty standard in the field. Some do it in a little over 2 years but they do summers or a much more intense schedule. If this program is one day a week- unless it is a 4 year program -then they are assuming you are doing much of the work on your own. Hence distance learning even if not online.
You miss a lot by not having class time.

amother
Black

Post Fri, May 19 2017, 8:48 pm
amother wrote:
How many years is this program? I went for 3 years, going 3-4 days a week and a number of hours a day. For every hour of class a week there were 2 hours of expected work. Plus internships. That is pretty standard in the field. Some do it in a little over 2 years but they do summers or a much more intense schedule. If this program is one day a week- unless it is a 4 year program -then they are assuming you are doing much of the work on your own. Hence distance learning even if not online.
You miss a lot by not having class time.

It's one day a week for a year. A total joke.

Maya

Post Sat, May 20 2017, 11:20 pm
amother wrote:

She also said they don't have the pitfall of other SW programs, where they give over anti-Torah perspectives. It sounds like a quality program where they keep a high priority on doing the right thing.

This is actually my biggest beef with these frum programs. They don't teach their students how to deal with many issues that is very likely to come up in their career as a mental health worker.
I know someone doing a similar program, and all references to alternative lifestyles is censored in that program, as well as certain sciences. How on earth can one be a competent mental health worker if one is not equipped to deal with issues of homosexuality or gender identity? Are they so sure these issues don't come up because they're dealing with frum people? It's so idiotic and wrong, and definitely not doing "the right thing."

cnc

Post Sat, May 20 2017, 11:26 pm
Maya wrote:
This is actually my biggest beef with these frum programs. They don't teach their students how to deal with many issues that is very likely to come up in their career as a mental health worker.
I know someone doing a similar program, and all references to alternative lifestyles is censored in that program, as well as certain sciences. How on earth can one be a competent mental health worker if one is not equipped to deal with issues of homosexuality or gender identity? Are they so sure these issues don't come up because they're dealing with frum people? It's so idiotic and wrong, and definitely not doing "the right thing."

Are you serious??
How can one even pass the licensing exams like this?
That's crazy.

Maya

Post Sat, May 20 2017, 11:42 pm
cnc wrote:
Are you serious??
How can one even pass the licensing exams like this?
That's crazy.

Unfortunately, very serious.
And the person telling this to me is a woman in her 50s who's taking these classes, and telling me how great it is that all the young women in the class are not being exposed to those things.

seeker

Post Sat, May 20 2017, 11:49 pm
Maya wrote:
And the person telling this to me is a woman in her 50s who's taking these classes, and telling me how great it is that all the young women in the class are not being exposed to those things.

Just to keep things clear, is the woman telling you this taking classes in TTI, or in a different frum program? Again, I don't know about either option, but I think that since this is a thread about a specific school it's important to clarify if a reply pertains to this or to a different school.

cnc

Post Sat, May 20 2017, 11:50 pm
Maya wrote:

That's not normal.
People that don't want to be exposed to such things should find a different field to enter.

Maya

Post Sat, May 20 2017, 11:52 pm
seeker wrote:
Just to keep things clear, is the woman telling you this taking classes in TTI, or in a different frum program? Again, I don't know about either option, but I think that since this is a thread about a specific school it's important to clarify if a reply pertains to this or to a different school.

As I said, a similar program.
The poster whom I quoted seems to say similarly about this program, though. Which is why I mentioned it.

Maya

Post Sat, May 20 2017, 11:54 pm
cnc wrote:
That's not normal.
People that don't want to be exposed to such things should find a different field to enter.

You'd think, right?

amother
Tangerine

Post Sat, May 20 2017, 11:56 pm
As a licensed therapist who went to a legitimate secular master's program I will say that if you want to have integrity as a professional, know that you cannot possibly gain the knowledge and skills necessary for this line of work through distance or self-learning. Most of my education was through vibrant class discussion, role playing, group supervisions, and internship and in clinic trainings. I am not saying a program must be secular to be legitimate, but I am saying in order to be effectively educated in the field one day a week, even with extensive homework, will just not cut it.

amother
Beige

Post Sun, May 21 2017, 12:11 am
amother wrote:
It's one day a week for a year. A total joke.

Their Masters program is one year that is only if you took the advanced standing classes in the bachelors program which go over to the MA. Which basically makes the program 2.6 yrs.

amother
Puce

Post Sun, May 21 2017, 12:11 am
cnc wrote:
That's not normal.

I doubt most of these young seminary girls have a clue what they are getting themselves into.

seeker

Post Sun, May 21 2017, 12:25 am
amother wrote:
I doubt most of these young seminary girls have a clue what they are getting themselves into.

They're probably assuming that they'll do counseling for preschoolers with poor social skills and stuff like that. I'm not saying that means they should become certified to work without a well-rounded education, I'm just explaining why anyone might think they can be a social worker without being involved with certain areas or topics.

I sure hope that "kosher" SW programs don't just avoid uncomfortable topics entirely. I can appreciate the desire for a sanitized version, or to learn about them in a less liberal environment, without avoiding it entirely. I do think it would be a tremendous advantage if people from frum backgrounds can have a culturally sensitive approach rather than having to choose between a frum program that avoids uncomfortable topics entirely and a secular program that does not provide any kind of support to help these girls adjust to new ideas.

I may be building castles in the sky here... already said I know little about social work training at all.

Maya

Post Sun, May 21 2017, 12:31 am
The woman I spoke to is very Chassidish, and she said she'd be comfortable having her daughter in the program. I think that answers it for me.

amother
Burgundy

Post Sun, May 21 2017, 9:13 am
I love how people make assumptions without knowing anything about a program or anytime who is actually IN the program. They know a similar program that someone went to 5 years ago for their bachelor's, or for special ed, and they extrapolate from that and decide they know everything about everything. Or "a chassidish mother said she would be comfortable with the program", so it must not be good enough.

They learn everything. They cannot skip anything. It has to meet Robert Wesleyan's standards and requirements. Anything pertaining to social work is always taught in class only, same as any other SW program through any other reputable college. The reason other programs take 4 years is because they have to sit through English, math classes etc .. .Nothing to do with social work. In order to be accredited, it's not ALLOWED to be "censored", as you put it. The difference is, they teach it from the correct hashkafic perspective. It's like saying one must learn evolution in school, from an atheist perspective with no modifiers, to be considered educated. If they are taught evolution and then taught the counter-science to evolution, and the Torah's perspective on it, by brilliant frum scientists with years in the field, so according to many of you that would be terrible and they should not be considered fully educated.

Also, it doesn't sound like there are too many sheltered, doe-eyed recent HS grass in the SW program. It's mainly women with some life experience behind them.

youngishbear

Post Sun, May 21 2017, 9:15 am
amother wrote:
I love how people make assumptions without knowing anything about a program or anytime who is actually IN the program. They know a similar program that someone went to 5 years ago for their bachelor's, or for special ed, and they extrapolate from that and decide they know everything about everything. Or "a chassidish mother said she would be comfortable with the program", so it must not be good enough.

They learn everything. They cannot skip anything. It has to meet Robert Wesleyan's standards and requirements. Anything pertaining to social work is always taught in class only, same as any other SW program through any other reputable college. The reason other programs take 4 years is because they have to sit through English, math classes etc .. .Nothing to do with social work. In order to be accredited, it's not ALLOWED to be "sanitized", as you put it. The difference is, they teach it from the correct hashkafic perspective. It's like saying one must learn evolution in school, from an atheist perspective with no modifiers, to be considered educated. If they are taught evolution and then taught the counter-science to evolution, and the Torah's perspective on it, by brilliant frum scientists with years in the field, so according to many of you that would be terrible and they should not be considered fully educated.

Also, it doesn't sound like there are too many sheltered, doe-eyed recent HS grass in the SW program. It's mainly women with some life experience behind them.

OoC, are there English requirements at the masters level in a SW program?

amother
Vermilion

Post Sun, May 21 2017, 9:19 am
What does "correct hashkafic perspective" mean in regard to homosexuality and transgender issues?

My frum college (for BY students) had the same catchline. That meant that when we learned it my frum professor said the solution is conversion therapy.

Fortunately it was only for an undergraduate degree and no one was going straight into clinical fieldwork, but I'm wondering what this means for TTI. How do they teach these topics?

imasoftov

Post Sun, May 21 2017, 9:26 am
amother wrote:
If they are taught evolution and then taught the counter-science to evolution, and the Torah's perspective on it, by brilliant frum scientists ...

or perhaps by "brilliant frum counter-scientists"

amother
Burgundy

Post Sun, May 21 2017, 10:14 am
imasoftov wrote:
or perhaps by "brilliant frum counter-scientists"

Yes, of course. How did you guess? Because only the non-Jews know what they're talking about. Because frum Jews are a poor, benighted, ignorant species who have no right to learn things from a Torah perspective. What's the Torah anyway? Some unenlightened relic we don't actually believe in. It clashes with the current societal atmosphere, after all. And what's truth, if not current societal trends?

imasoftov

Post Sun, May 21 2017, 10:31 am
amother wrote:
Yes, of course. How did you guess? Because only the non-Jews know what they're talking about. Because frum Jews are a poor, benighted, ignorant species who have no right to learn things from a Torah perspective. What's the Torah anyway? Some unenlightened relic we don't actually believe in. It clashes with the current societal atmosphere, after all. And what's truth, if not current societal trends?

This is the second time today I've gotten a rant in reply to what I didn't say.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics