Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking
Tofu

amother
Coral

Post Sun, May 21 2017, 9:15 am
What to do with it?

ra_mom

Post Sun, May 21 2017, 11:18 am
Well I don't know if tofu is considered healthy cooking but...
crumble it for vegetarian lasagna,
whiz it for faux meatballs
marinate and bake cubes to top a salad
sear it for stir fry

MagentaYenta

Post Sun, May 21 2017, 11:21 am
The texture completely changes once frozen. Freeze a block of firm, defrost it in as little as 2 days. Squeeze all the liquid out. Shred it and cook it in enchilada sauce or taco seasonings. I make faux chicken salad from it or taco crumbles for taco salad or use it in curries, sloppy joes etc.

saralem

Post Sun, May 21 2017, 11:28 am
Yup. Freeze it and then wring it after defrosting. The texture is totally different. Use it like ground beef. I also like it in vegetable stir fry or little cubes in soup. Very low fat, high in protein.

Amarante

Post Sun, May 21 2017, 11:51 am
It's pretty tasteless so takes the taste of whatever you cook it with. There is also soft and firm tofu and so you cook soft differently than firm.

I make a great tofu brown rice casserole that uses up a whole bunch of veggies as well. It seems to always make more than I expect as if it grows in the casserole dish. I always forget how much I enjoy it as it reminds me of when I used to cook from the Moosewood cookbooks a lot 😀

With firm tofu, you marinate it and then can grill it.

cm

Post Sun, May 21 2017, 12:02 pm
(All using firm tofu, in plastic tubs - not the kind in brikpak boxes):
stir fry with onions and mushrooms
cut into chunks and bake with any marinade/sauce with vegetables
add to crockpot with beans/veg/rice/seasonings
can be breaded with your favorite coating, but I find it fussy to do

I rarely freeze tofu unless I specifically want that crumbly texture. These are all good with the creamy texture of fresh tofu. It gets firmer with cooking.

The type in brikpak boxes (Mori-nu brand, I think) is very creamy and has a different flavor than the "regular" kind. Can be used in place of silken (very soft, custardy texture) tofu in shakes, if you want.

MiracleMama

Post Sun, May 21 2017, 12:15 pm
I haven't had tofu in years. It's not really considered health food anymore.

You can just cube it up and add it at the end of any veggie stir fry. My favorite way to make tofu is to cube it, dredge it in corn starch or potato starch and fry it in oil. (It should be drained and dried very well beforehand).

amother
Coral

Post Sun, May 21 2017, 12:43 pm
Why is it not healthy anymore?

amother
Honeydew

Post Sun, May 21 2017, 2:33 pm
amother wrote:
Why is it not healthy anymore?

Soy is mostly GMO which many want to avoid. And it seems to be high in estrogens - has been linked to hormone issues, infertility, even certain cancers. From what I recall this does not apply to fermented soy products (miso for example), though I cannot remember why at the moment.

MagentaYenta

Post Sun, May 21 2017, 2:48 pm
amother wrote:
Soy is mostly GMO which many want to avoid. And it seems to be high in estrogens - has been linked to hormone issues, infertility, even certain cancers. From what I recall this does not apply to fermented soy products (miso for example), though I cannot remember why at the moment.

If you buy organic tofu the soy is not GMO. The whole phytoestrogen fear mongering has been debunked.

The fermented vs non fermented soy argument is still ongoing and the jury is still out.

amother
Coral

Post Sun, May 21 2017, 2:50 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:
If you buy organic tofu the soy is not GMO. The whole phytoestrogen fear mongering has been debunked.

The fermented vs non fermented soy argument is still ongoing and the jury is still out.

So it is healthy if no gmo?

tichellady

Post Sun, May 21 2017, 4:26 pm
Like many things, there are different health opinions out there on tofu. We think it's healthy in moderation.

I like making tofu tacos or baking tofu in strips and serving it with sweet potato fries

I also put small cubes of tofu in hot and sour soup

I make tofu stir fry with pineapple and bok Choy or brocolli over brown rice

This is yummy: I usually leave out the avacado https://www.budgetbytes.com/20.....owls/

amother
Lavender

Post Sun, May 21 2017, 4:56 pm
I stir fry it with vegetables. It's good with pretty much any of them. Just be sure that you start with a sautéed onion or some sautéed garlic, and add some soy sauce in the end. Serve over rice, quinoa, kasha... MY family loves this.

I also have an amazing but fairly complicated chocolate cream pie made with tofu.

If frozen (for better texture) it can be cubed and used as a meat substitute in cholent, lasagne, spaghetti bolognese.....

amother
Silver

Post Sun, May 21 2017, 7:08 pm
Agedashi Tofu is amazing and very easy

thanks

Post Sun, May 21 2017, 8:26 pm
You can make pudding from silken tofu.

(You're adding sugar and oil, but it's still healthier than some other mousses.)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking