Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Writers and Edited Changes

amother
Hotpink

Post Mon, May 22 2017, 6:44 am
When you write an article, do you get back the edited version with tracked changes? Can you see what was edited?

amother
Natural

Post Mon, May 22 2017, 7:00 am
I write magazine articles (not for frum magazines) and I get the redlined version back to check.

amother
Blush

Post Mon, May 22 2017, 7:40 am
Depends!
The magazine for which I edit does not send my changes to the writer.

amother
Scarlet

Post Mon, May 22 2017, 7:41 am
Sure! I write for several jewish magazines and they always send it back for approval with tracked changes.
The one paper which once deliberately tricked me (told me to approve their edits "it's going to print in 5minutes" ) and then later added a whole paragraph without my permission (involving jewish politics they knew I wouldn't stoop low enough to write about myself - not that they asked me at all), is the one paper I refuse to ever write for again.
So again - yes, any decent publication let's you see the edits as well as approve them in advance.

Edited for editing purposes Very Happy

amother
Ecru

Post Mon, May 22 2017, 10:09 am
Interesting, I write for a well-known Jewish newspaper. They send me the PDF for approval before it goes to print, but without track changes, so I have to go through and compare it to the original, which is a pain. I'm seeing here that I should ask them to send it to me with the editor's changes marked up, which would save me a lot of time and energy.

amother
Copper

Post Mon, May 22 2017, 10:31 am
One magazine regularly sends me tracked edits for approval. Another sends only if significant changes were made (not just minor proofreading edits). After bad experiences with two separate newspapers, I've told them to just remove my byline if they make any changes, even the addition or removal of a comma, because I don't want my name on their terrible edits.

In other words, it depends Very Happy so ask upfront or be clear about your expectations when submitting.

amother
Lime

Post Mon, May 22 2017, 11:21 am
We send for approval but not with tracking.

amother
Scarlet

Post Mon, May 22 2017, 12:33 pm
Could it depend on what the topic or genre is?

queenert

Post Mon, May 22 2017, 12:52 pm
A good rule of thumb when dealing with publications is to be upfront about everything you want. Otherwise they won't necessarily do it because they're busy or they like the way they do things. Some publications won't pay unless you tell them you want payment, but have a budget to pay writers that specify.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics